Childbearing Year by Susun S. Weed

Childbearing Year

by Susun S. Weed

Simple, safe remedies for pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, and newborns. Now in its 24th printing. A confirmed favourite with pregnant women, midwives, childbirth educators, and new parents. Packed with clear, comforting, and superbly helpful information. Beginning with the two months before pregnancy, herbs are enlisted to provide safe, effective birth control, or to help ensure pregnancy, even in the most difficult of situations. A special list of teratogens, including herbs to avoid before pregnancy, is included, as is a section on herbs to improve the father's fertility and reduce the risk of birth defects. Once pregnancy has occurred, herbs are safe and beneficial allies in reducing the distress of pregnancy, including haemorrhoids, high blood pressure, morning sickness, emotional changes, anaemia, muscle cramps, bladder infections, and preeclampsia. Tasty recipes and clear directions make use easy and fun. Herbs take a starring role in labour and delivery -- whether initiating labour, increasing energy, diminishing pain, or staunching postpartum bleeding -- and in postpartum care of the mother's perineum, breasts, and emotions, and the infants umbilicus, skin, scalp, digestive system, and immune system. Humorous, tender, and detailed, this classic text is supported by illustrations, references, resource lists, glossary, and index. Includes herbs for fertility and birth control. Foreword by Jeannine Parvati Baker.
  HomeBirth | Sep 3, 2014 |
I actually haven't read this book but I love Susun Weed. I followed her advice like a bible when I went thru menopause. I gotta believe she knows what she knows.
  ifc | Aug 5, 2010 |
I really like this book, the way it is formatted and the tone in which it is written. However, this book has not been updated since 1990 and it really needs to be. I believe it is also currently out of print as I just did a search to see if there was an updated edition on amazon.com and there were only 2 copies of this book for sale!

That being said, there is a treasure trove of good, earthy, folky, herb and natural based medicine in here for the time when a woman needs it most - when wanting to get pregnant, while pregnant, post-partum, and care of the newborn.

Addtionally, there is a small section on herbal birth control.

Highly recommended to all doulas, midwives, and all those interested in as natural a pregnancy and childbirth as possible! ( )
  u4ik | Apr 19, 2010 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,389,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible