Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an…

The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Marti Olsen Laney

Member:tim.taylor
Title:The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World
Authors:Marti Olsen Laney
Info:Workman Publishing Company (2002), Edition: 1, Paperback, 330 pages
Collections:Your library, Office
Tags:nonfiction

The Introvert Advantage by Marti Olsen Laney (2002)

Recently added byBurtonSJohnson, private library, dnoa09, ignacy, Harvey_Browne, HollyBoggie, CorinasQuill

Read like pop psychology of which I am not a big fan. Also very wordy; seemed like several blog posts fluffed to make a book. ( )
  JWhitsitt | Mar 17, 2014 |
Finally finished this book, it is really the best on the subject that I have yet read. Very good field guide to surviving the world as an introvert. ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Dec 9, 2013 |
I really enjoyed the main thesis of the book: "introvertism" and "extrovertism" aren't about being shy or outgoing, but rather are manners of describing how a person recharges their energy; whether alone or with other people, respectively. Overall the book was repetitive and geared towards people with very high levels of social anxiety, but it did end up making me feel more comfortable with my own social deficits. ( )
  blake.rosser | Jul 28, 2013 |
I'm somewhere between E and I on the spectrum, and I have friends at both extreme ends, so I thought this would be an interesting and valuable book. I hoped it would, more like. But alas, it was not. The author lost me along about the time she started prattling on about "Hap Hits" which are things that increase a person's happiness or energy levels. The very term made me snort derisively, as did much of the rest of the book.

I can see that there's perhaps some valuable information here, buried under a flurry of pop psychobabble and self-quizzlettes, but I kept looking up from this book thinking I was trapped in a waiting room with a stale copy of Cosmopolitan. Superficial, light, feel-good twaddle, that's my verdict. You're good enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it... you're reading a crap self-help book again.

Bah, humbug.
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I still need to figure out whether I'm being unfair to this book or not. ( )
  beabatllori | Apr 2, 2013 |
If you've been called shy, a shrinking violet, or a wallflower; if your friends tease you about still waters that run deep; or if you feel that you're just not a "people" person, you may find this book very revealing. Dr. Laney, an introvert herself, convincingly explains the reasons for your behavior, and the differences between an introvert (you) and an extrovert (most of the rest of the world).

Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a gift and not giving it.
—William A. Ward

To my Husband of thirty-eight years, Michael,who dragged me out into extroverting and enlarged my universe. I dedicate this book to you for coaching me to keep breathing through the long labor of the book birthing process. And you are awarded the Highest Medal of Husbandry Honor for devoting so many hours to read page after page about introverts (more than any mortal extrovert should ever have to). Last, but not least, a final thank-you for delivering nourishing meals to me as I sat staring and pecking at my computer.

To my daughters and their families, who I love very much and who have enriched my live in countless ways:

Tynna, Brian, Alicia, and Christopher DeMellier

Kristen, Gary, Kaitlin, and Emily Parks

I also dedicate this book to all my clients who have courageously let me into their lives.
Growing up, I was often puzzled about myself.

At least one out of four people prefers to avoid the limelight, tends to listen more than they speak, feels alone in large groups, and requires lots of private time to restore their energy. They're introverts, and here is the book to help them boost their confidence while learning strategies for successfully living in an extrovert world.

After dispelling common myths about introverts-they're not necessarily shy, aloof, or antisocial--The Introvert Advantage explains the real issues. Introverts are hardwired from birth to focus inward, so outside stimulation-chitchat, phone calls, parties, office meetings-can easily become "too much."

The Introvert Advantage dispels introverts' belief that something is wrong with them and instead helps them recognize their inner strengths-their analytical skills, ability to think outside the box, and strong powers of concentration. It helps readers understand introversion and shows them how to determine where they fall on the introvert/extrovert continuum. It provides tools to improve relationships with partners, kids, colleagues, and friends, offering dozens of tips, including 10 ways to talk less and communicate more, 8 ways to showcase your abilities at work, how to take a child's temperament temperature, and strategies for socializing. Finally, it shows how to not just survive, but thrive-how to take advantage of the introvert's special qualities to create a life that's just right for the introvert temperament, to discover new ways to expand their energy reserves, and even how, when necessary, to confidently become a temporary extrovert.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:16 -0400)

Describes how introverts can work with their temperament to live a fullfilling life and thrive in an extrovert world, covering such topics as relationships, parenting, socializing, and coping in the workplace.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,696,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible