The king of swords : a novel by Nick Stone

The king of swords : a novel (edition 2008)

by Nick Stone

Member:bfister
Title:The king of swords : a novel
Authors:Nick Stone
Info:New York, N.Y. : Harper, 2008.
Tags:Haiti, Miami, voodoo, crime fiction

The King of Swords by Nick Stone

Not bad- entertaining enough. It was weird to me that I read 2 books about voodoo and zombies within about 4 weeks of each other. This book is written by a Brit and set in 1981 Miami. I often found myself wondering if what he was writing was based in any sort of truth or if it was all a perception he has of that time period - but that's neither here nor there. It's an easy fun read and if you're looking for some mindless entertainment, then check it out. ( )
  debbie.menzel | Feb 6, 2014 |
I found this book at the dollar store. It seems like it might be a good book
  jim.fahs | Aug 15, 2012 |
Reviewed for Mystery Scene
  bfister | Sep 7, 2008 |
A bone-chilling novel set in the 80's, beautifully portrayed by Stone. He drags us into a scary world of tarots and black magic. His characters are powerful and I sympatized with them from the very beginning, and not only with the "stars" dectective Max Mingus and his partner Joe, but also with "villains" like, for example, the pimp Carmine Desamours.
I lost a lot of sleeping hours to get to the end. One of the most exciting thriller I've ever read. ( )
  sandburg | May 18, 2008 |

When Detective Max Mingus and his partner, Joe Liston, are called to the scene of a death at Miami's Primate Park, it looks like another routine -- if slightly bizarre -- investigation. That is, until two things turn up: the victim's family, slaughtered, and a partly digested tarot card in the dead man's stomach -- the King of Swords. An increasingly bloody trail leads Max and Joe first to a sinister fortune-teller and her scheming pimp son, then to the infamous Solomon Boukman. Few have ever met the most feared criminal in Miami, but rumors abound of a forked tongue, voodooesque ceremonies, and friends in very high places. Against a backdrop of black magic and police corruption, Max and Joe must distinguish the good guys from the bad -- and track down some answers. What is the significance of the King of Swords? What makes those who have swallowed the card go on a killing spree just before they die? And can Max find out the truth about Solomon Boukman before death's shadow reaches his own front door?… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,477,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible