My Side of the Mountain Trilogy (My Side of…

My Side of the Mountain Trilogy (My Side of the Mountain / On the Far Side… (original 2000; edition 2000)

by Jean Craighead George

Member:Kdmack73
Title:My Side of the Mountain Trilogy (My Side of the Mountain / On the Far Side of the Mountain / Frightful's Mountain)
Authors:Jean Craighead George
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2000), Hardcover, 628 pages
Rating:*****

My Side of the Mountain Trilogy by Jean Craighead George (2000)

Seems like a "Hatchet on purpose" More when I am finished.
I seem to like these kind of stories. Hatchet, Into Thin Air, etc... This was a fun read as it was about a boy who ran away and made his own choices to survive in the wilderness. I was hoping for a more climatic ending though. ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
My Side of the Mountain On the Far Side of the Mountainn (5.8) Frightful's Mountain A young boy relates his adventures during the year he spends living alone in the Catskill Mountains, including his struggle for survival, his dependence on nature, his animal friends, and his ultimate realization that he needs human companionship
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
Excellent book to read to your children. ( )
  luvs2ski | Jun 8, 2014 |
This was one of my favorite stories to read to my children. The author teaches true survival skills while engaging the imagination of boys or girls. ( )
  Kdmack73 | May 2, 2013 |
Great story about a young boy who runs away from home in New York and lives in the Catskill Mountains. A book that most junior high students will enjoy. It is a good book to teach sentence structure and adjectives. It is also good to teach about the value of nature. ( )
  sdpugh | Mar 28, 2013 |
My Side of the Mountain: This book is dedicated to many people--
to that gang of youngsters who inhabited the trees and waters of the Potomac River so many years ago, and to the bit of sam Gribley in the children and adult around me now.
My Side of the Mountain: I am on my mountain in a tree home that people have passed without ever knowing that i am here.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0525462694, Hardcover)

Asked why the writing of the My Side of the Mountain trilogy took Jean Craighead George more than 40 years, she responds, "My mother disapproved of sequels. 'Those are trashy books,' she told me when I was a child. So I grew up and did not write them.

"But kids are wiser than adults, I learned. Letters kept arriving from schools and homes, saying, 'We want to know more about Sam, Frightful, and the wilderness.' 'Sequels,' they said, 'are important.' They were right."

Now, all three of George's remarkable novels about the wilderness adventures of young Sam Gribley and his falcon, Frightful, are available in one handsome volume. In My Side of the Mountain, a Newbery Honor Book, Sam leaves home to fend for himself in the Catskill Mountains of upstate New York. For a year he lives in a hollowed-out tree, befriending animals and depending on his wits for survival. In the sequel, On the Far Side of the Mountain, Sam's sister has now joined him, and his falcon is confiscated by a conservation officer. Frightful's Mountain is an interesting departure for George. Written from the perspective of Frightful the falcon, the concluding novel in the trilogy follows her efforts to learn to depend on her own instincts in a world crawling with dangers.

Jean Craighead George is the beloved author of more than 80 books, including the Newbery Medal winner, Julie of the Wolves. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:53 -0400)

A young boy relates his adventures during the year he spends living alone in the Catskill Mountains including his struggle for survival, his dependence on nature, his animal friends, and his ultimate realization that he needs human companionship.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,801,329 books! | Top bar: Always visible