The Sword in the Stone by T. H. White

The Sword in the Stone (1938)

by T. H. White

Series: The Once and Future King (1)

Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper (Hibou8)
    The Mouse and His Child by Russell Hoban (themulhern)
    themulhern: Animals with characters based on their physiology and also perhaps, mediaeval legend, form an essential part of both stories.

I do not believe this is the identical book that we read. We had the unabridged version with a different cover.

It always amazes me what my boys will enjoy. The unabridged version carries a lot of description, scenery, Latin, big vocabulary that makes it a hard book for me to read out loud. But my boys always asked for more.

The adventure intertwined with imaginative wishings that came true allowed the boys to feel what it would be like to slither like a snake, fly like a bird, swim like a fish...These ramblings of the imagination were give under the guise of 'education' that any boy would revel in. They also were essential for the training needed for the boy turned man.

(Makes me wonder about all these new rules of writing that take out the tangents to make sure the plot is moving forward.)

The boys were sad to see the end come. ( )
  Sonya.Contreras | May 21, 2017 |
A cute fantasy of Arthur's childhood.

I liked the descriptions of Wart's experiences transformed into a fish, snake, hawk, owl and badger.

Sometimes the dialect spelling got annoying.

The use of the word Indians seemed jarring, politically incorrect and out of place. ( )
  nx74defiant | Oct 2, 2016 |
Marvelous, just as I remember it from high school. But still, not enough to get me to want to read the rest. I mean, I did actually read it as part of The Once and Future King this time, and I did read the first couple chapters of the second story therein. But, despite White's talent, I still find myself utterly benumbed by Arthurian stories. Wart and his lessons, great. Arthur the king and his wars and all those love affairs, not so much. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Incredibly similar to the Disney movie. However, there were many scenes I had never heard about (Robin and Maid Marian in a King Arthur tale? Whooda thunk it?) and some scenes were lacking (apparently the Once and Future King version - which is what I read - does not feature my beloved Madam Mim. On a side note, my affection for the Mad Madam Mim is such that my own mother has been referred to as "Mim" since I was roughly 10/11). Enjoyable, but awfully tangential. And the humor is very...unique. ( )
  benuathanasia | Jan 26, 2016 |
If you are looking for my review of this book please head for my long winded review of The Once and Future King as this book is Part 1 thereof. If, on the other hand, you are not looking for my review... Hello! ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |

Lee, AlanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nolan, DennisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Sir Thomas Maleore
Knight

"I pray you all, gentlemen and gentlewomen that readeth this book, from the beginning to the ending, pray for me while I am on live, that God send me good deliverance, and when I am dead, I pray you all pray for my soul."
Sir Thomas Maleore, Knight.
July 31st, 1485.
On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays it was Court Hand and Summulae Logicales, while the rest of the week it was the Organon, Repetition and Astrology.
"Castor and Pollux blow me to Bermuda!"

That boy is called Wart,
But Merlin knows he's destined
For far greater things.
(SylviaC)

An old wizard named Merlyn takes care of a curious young boy named Wart and transforms him into Arthur, the future king of Britain, in a beautiful new edition of the classic tale, enhanced by luminous paintings. Children's BOMC Main.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:02 -0400)

A retelling of the Arthurian legend.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,156,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible