Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay

A Voyage to Arcturus (original 1920; edition 1968)

by David Lindsay

Member:GregsBookCell
Title:A Voyage to Arcturus
Authors:David Lindsay
Info:Ballantine (1968), Edition: First THUS, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:Science Fiction

A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay (1920)

This book is the most meaningful thing to ever happen to me. If anyone knows of other books similar to it, please
Let me know ( )
  michaeladams1979 | Oct 11, 2018 |
Handsome edition, with articles by Alan Moore and Colin Wilson
  stevholt | Nov 19, 2017 |
Unreadable. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
I am not sure what to make of it - it was more a philosophical metaphor than the space travel adventure story that I had hoped for. I don't think that I understood what Lindsay was trying to say. ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 27, 2017 |
I found this book quite dull and old-fashioned and gave up after a few chapters. Even switching to the audiobook didn't help as I kept having to rewind when my mind wandered.
  isabelx | Aug 10, 2017 |

Lindsay, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brumm, WalterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Delville, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eiseley, LorenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holitzka, KlausCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pepper, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peterka, JohannIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On a March evening, at eight o'clock, Backhouse, the medium - a fast-rising star in the psychic world - was ushered into the study at 'Prolands', the Hampstead residence of Montague Faull.

A stunning achievement in speculative fiction, A Voyage to Arcturus has inspired, enchanted, and unsettled readers for decades. It is simultaneously an epic quest across one of the most unusual and brilliantly depicted alien worlds ever conceived, a profoundly moving journey of discovery into the metaphysical heart of the universe, and a shockingly intimate excursion into what makes us human and unique.

After a strange interstellar journey, Maskull, a man from Earth, awakens alone in a desert on the planet Tormance, seared by the suns of the binary star Arcturus. As he journeys northward, guided by a drumbeat, he encounters a world and its inhabitants like no other, where gender is a victory won at dear cost; where landscape and emotion are drawn into an accursed dance; where heroes are killed, reborn, and renamed; and where the cosmological lures of Shaping, who may be God, torment Maskull in his astonishing pilgrimage. At the end of his arduous and increasingly mystical quest waits a dark secret and an unforgettable revelation.

A Voyage to Arcturus was the first novel by writer David Lindsay (1878–1945), and it remains one of the most revered classics of science fiction. This commemorative edition features an introduction by noted scholar and writer of speculative fiction John Clute and a famous essay by Loren Eiseley.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:01 -0400)

One of the most original and acclaimed science fiction novels of the twentieth century This landmark work of speculative fiction follows the adventurer Maskull as he travels to Tormance, the lone planet revolving around the double star system Arcturus. Each new land that Maskull visits is ruled by a different philosophy, and he must navigate each in succession as his body changes in response to the varying environments in which he finds himself. Never sure of his surroundings, Maskull must determine what we will and will not do to survive-a metaphysical inquiry that propels him toward an unforgettable final realization. A major influence on C. S. Lewis's Space Trilogy, A Voyage to Arcturus is a surreal and masterful investigation into the meaning of good and evil, the nature of God, and the origins of the universe. This ebook has been professionally proofread to ensure accuracy and readability on all devices.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,536,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible