A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay

A Voyage to Arcturus (original 1920; edition 1968)

by David Lindsay

Member:GregsBookCell
Title:A Voyage to Arcturus
Authors:David Lindsay
Info:Ballantine (1968), Edition: First THUS, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:Science Fiction

A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay (1920)

Handsome edition, with articles by Alan Moore and Colin Wilson
  stevholt | Nov 19, 2017 |
Unreadable. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
I am not sure what to make of it - it was more a philosophical metaphor than the space travel adventure story that I had hoped for. I don't think that I understood what Lindsay was trying to say. ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 27, 2017 |
I found this book quite dull and old-fashioned and gave up after a few chapters. Even switching to the audiobook didn't help as I kept having to rewind when my mind wandered.
  isabelx | Aug 10, 2017 |

This SF novel from 1920 is about a chap called Maskull who is rather mystically translated from a Scottish observatory to the planet Tormance, orbiting the double star that we know as Arcturus, where he meets various inhabitants for deep and meaningful conversations, and ends up killing most of them at the end of their respective chapters. It clearly inspired C.S. Lewis, who took a lot of concepts from this for Out Of The Silent Planet and Perelandra, except that frankly Lewis did it better, by having vaguely interesting characters and by using comprehensible philosophical dilemmas - both being areas that A Voyage To Arcturus falls down on.

Tolkien also loved the book; Wikipedia quotes Colin Wilson and Clive Barker as singing its praises. I find it difficult to enjoy because I have read a lot of the better, later stuff that it inspired. In that sense, perhaps it's a hidden taproot text for the mid-century British SF writers, unconstrained by any need to be loyal to the (hazy) scientific facts, free to think romantically and even morally about other worlds. Neil Gaiman and Kim Newman quote a critic of an early splatter film as saying "It's like a Walt Whitman poem—it’s no good, but it’s the first of its type and therefore deserves a certain position." I felt a bit like that about A Voyage To Arcturus. ( )
  nwhyte | Dec 11, 2016 |

Lindsay, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brumm, WalterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Delville, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eiseley, LorenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holitzka, KlausCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pepper, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peterka, JohannIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
On a March evening, at eight o'clock, Backhouse, the medium - a fast-rising star in the psychic world - was ushered into the study at 'Prolands', the Hampstead residence of Montague Faull.

A stunning achievement in speculative fiction, A Voyage to Arcturus has inspired, enchanted, and unsettled readers for decades. It is simultaneously an epic quest across one of the most unusual and brilliantly depicted alien worlds ever conceived, a profoundly moving journey of discovery into the metaphysical heart of the universe, and a shockingly intimate excursion into what makes us human and unique.

After a strange interstellar journey, Maskull, a man from Earth, awakens alone in a desert on the planet Tormance, seared by the suns of the binary star Arcturus. As he journeys northward, guided by a drumbeat, he encounters a world and its inhabitants like no other, where gender is a victory won at dear cost; where landscape and emotion are drawn into an accursed dance; where heroes are killed, reborn, and renamed; and where the cosmological lures of Shaping, who may be God, torment Maskull in his astonishing pilgrimage. At the end of his arduous and increasingly mystical quest waits a dark secret and an unforgettable revelation.

A Voyage to Arcturus was the first novel by writer David Lindsay (1878–1945), and it remains one of the most revered classics of science fiction. This commemorative edition features an introduction by noted scholar and writer of speculative fiction John Clute and a famous essay by Loren Eiseley.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:01 -0400)

A Voyage to Arcturus by David Lindsay combines fantasy, philosophy, and science fiction in an exploration of the nature of good and evil and their relationship with existence. It has been described by the critic and philosopher Colin Wilson as the greatest novel of the twentieth century. Lindsay's descriptive prose is simply beyond compare. Lindsay was author of A Haunted Woman, and is considered to be one of the great British fantasy authors. His work forms a bridge from George MacDonald to authors such as C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien, who both greatly admired Lindsay's work.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,497,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible