Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Halfway to the Grave (edition 2007)

by Jeaniene Frost

Member:Lman
Title:Halfway to the Grave
Authors:Jeaniene Frost
Info:New York : Avon Books, 2007.
Collections:Ebook, Books Mooched, Read and given away
Rating:***
Tags:Frost Jeaniene 01, SF - Dark fantasy / Horror, SF - Urban fantasy, Paranormal romance, Night Huntress series

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

English (138)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (141)
I'm always looking for new urban fantasy/ paranormal fantasy-romance (is that even a genre?) and I'd heard of this series for a while but I kept reading around it. Now that I finally picked it up, and I bash myself for not reading it earlier.
Catherine "Cat" is a vampire slayer. Commonly known as a dhampire in other books, she is half-human, half-vampire and all kicka**. After being informed on her 16th birthday what she was and how her father had raped her mother, she took it upon herself to kill vampires in the hopes of one day finding and killing her father. Although she is only 22, she has a highly impressive body count, using methods and skills she's learned on her own.
Then along comes Bones, an English vampire she attempts to kill but fails to. While being interrogated by Bones, they come to realize that they both have the same goal of killing the "bad" vampires. Seeing the benefit of Cat's strength and experience killing vamps while seeming like any other weak human, he "blackmails" her into combing forces.
It was quite a ride, as Bones "transformed" Cat into a sexy seductress that prowls bars and draws out the vampires. Especially since she is actually so shy and inexperienced in such matters. With his help, she is able to pull it off and learns how to use her "vampiric abilities" to her best advantage. Excited to see how she continues on without Bones after the ending where she fakes his death and escapes while leaving him a note to make it seem like she's done with him and the guilt of killing so many vamps. ( )
  bookharpy | Jul 4, 2016 |
Where do I start? I absolutely loved it! Cat and Bones just playoff each other so smoothly. This had the perfect amount of funny, mushiness, and action. Bones is such a fun character and you can't help but love Cat as well! I was a bit disappointed by the ending. Not having the second book just seems to make it worse...I just can't wait to read more. ( )
  LenaR0307 | Jun 27, 2016 |

“You're not a woman," he said finally. "You're the Grim Reaper with red hair!”

I've been seeing oodles of gushing about this series in my feed, in my UF and Paranormal groups, and from other Goodreads friends. I've owned it for a few years and finally got around to giving it a try. I'm sorry to say I found it average, and was tempted to bring the rating from 3 to 2 stars because the ending irritated me so badly.

I really, really despise that ending.

Since I have the second, I'll read that to hope it saturates my anger at the start - let's hope so anyway, there has to be a reason this series is so highly rated, right?

For positives, I love Bones. It's hard not to. He's the man with a plan who is dedicated to the girl and intent on being a bad boy. I like my heroes dark and he pushed most of my buttons. Even his name...but he didn't grow on me right away. It took a little bit for some reason, but when he did finally draw me in, it will fully and with commitment. Cat was fun with her humor but a little annoying sometimes with her narrow-mindness and trigger quick temper. Sometimes her jump into the action first before using common sense grated on my nerves. Still, she had some redeeming qualities, I'll wait to see if they flourish. For right now we're just on so-so-terms.

I dug the weird relationship with mommy-dearest though, I like dysfunctional family ties polluting the water and bringing drama to the table.

It's not a Paranormal romance that's overly sex heavy. That's there with for-real tension, but it waits a while and lets build up work. The scene when it finally comes it hotter than most. Their relationship is more than lust and skyrockets, though, it's endearing and addictive as well. Damn, still hate that ending!

Story-wise, there's one, but not enough to justify the length. Sure, action fills up the novel, but it's one large game of chase and fight, fight and chase. I'm not sure that tension warranted this length. It wasn't boring, but there wasn't enough of a plot impact to make me love this book's story compared to its size. The world isn't that largely weaved for a paranormal type, so far it's kind of on the down-low, with little description and not much spread beyond vampires and humans, but that can change.

What really works in this book besides delicious Bones? Humor. The entire book, as violent as it is, makes sure to dish out plenty of the funny stuff. Between Cat and Bones lines especially, and that cursed afternoon in her apartment where everyone kept showing up at the wrong time, to the uber-hilarious scenes when she glowers at Francesca. Bravo on the humor front, for it's the novel's best quality by far.

Mainly due to the Cat's sometimes silly decisions and rather selfish outlooks, to that horrible ending that I don't like the plot twist in, this book is a 3 star rating. Here's crossing my fingers that the next is higher.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Really Loved it.
  Emmy_Gerard | Jun 3, 2016 |
Halfway to the Grave
4 Stars

Tavia Gilbert's does an exemplarily job with the various voices, however, her heavy low class British accent for Bones takes some getting used to.

Bones is an obvious carbon-copy of Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (bleached blond hair, dark eyes and a British accent - really, how unoriginal can you get?). He starts out as an obnoxious, supercilious git but his swagger conceals a well-developed sense of justice and he is ultimately revealed to be a real sweetheart. Cat is a likable heroine with some great kick-ass moves but she is also naive, prejudiced and judgmental - at least she seems to realize this and makes an effort to get past it.

The real problem is that Cat and Bones's chemistry is a little meh. Yes, they have the witty banter thing going on in spades but the rapid progression of their physical relationship is somewhat disappointing - more in line with paranormal romance than urban fantasy. Yes, they have an intense spark of attraction in the beginning, but the sizzle dies out quite quickly and by the middle of the book they sound like an old married couple.

The plot gives new meaning to the term "human trafficking". It is well-developed with some truly excellent action scenes. The ending is very satisfying and I'm intrigued by the direction the story is taking with the government agency involved in investigating the paranormal - it really appeals to my inner X-File.

Overall, not the brilliant masterpiece I was expecting given the hype but it is a fun read and I look forward to seeing what happens next with Cat and Bones. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Jeaniene Frost takes Urban Fantasy head on and makes the genre her own with a winning blend of humor, sex, and real emotion that will leave readers eager for more.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Kathryn Smith

Jeaniene Frost is dynamite. Halfway to the Grave is dark, sexy, and supernatural, blended with a touch of humor. I dare you to disagree--Cat will have you staked in five seconds flat.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Cheyenne McCray

Take one half-human/half-vampire female with serious anger and parental issues, add in a sexy ancient vampire with his own agenda, and you have the makings for a truly combustible series. Sign me up for the sequel!
added by cmwilson101 | editRomantic Times

Jeaniene Frostprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who always believed in me, even when I didn't.
I stiffened at the red and blue lights flashing behind me, because there was no way I could explain what was in the back of my truck.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061245089, Mass Market Paperback)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner—are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:27 -0400)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield pursues the undead with a vengeance in the hope that one of her prey will be the father who ruined her mother's life, but her plans go awry when she is captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,558,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible