Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Halfway to the Grave (edition 2007)

by Jeaniene Frost

Member:Lman
Title:Halfway to the Grave
Authors:Jeaniene Frost
Info:New York : Avon Books, 2007.
Collections:Ebook, Books Mooched, Read and given away
Rating:***
Tags:Frost Jeaniene 01, SF - Dark fantasy / Horror, SF - Urban fantasy, Paranormal romance, Night Huntress series

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

English (140)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (143)
I LOVE this book!!! Bones is well....sigh..... I am hooked on this series! ( )
  MzKitty | Sep 18, 2016 |
Cat Crawfield is half human and half vampire, her mother having been raped by a vampire, which left her pregnant. Cat has hated her vampire side her whole life and started hunting them in her teens, with her mom’s blessing. Now in her early 20s, she’s come across Bones, a vampire bounty hunter. Seems like a great person to team up with, right? Alas, Bones is also a vampire and Cat is torn between her single-minded approach to vampires (stake them and bury them) and her desire to learn more about vampires in order to hunt down her father.

This was a mostly fun paranormal romance. There’s a lot of witty banter, though by the end it was getting predictable. The characters started off interesting but then melodrama set in and I was wobbling about finishing it towards the end. While the romance was a bit silly, the sex scenes were pretty good – steamy and sweet.

Cat has a lot of hang ups which aren’t a big deal at the beginning of the book. Her unusual heritage and her mom’s hatred of vampires drive Cat to excel at her evening past time – going to clubs, luring vampires to secluded spots with the promise of sex, and staking them. She then buries them in the family orchard – vampnure! She had to learn much of what she knows on her own and there’s been no one to train her. So, that’s pretty impressive.

Alas, she has this whiny side. We all have one, and I don’t mind a character sharing a bit of it in a story, but she whined about something the entire book. First, she has no friends because she’s this outcast in a small town since her mother had her out of wedlock. Well, aren’t there other outcasts that you can at least sit around and commiserate with? There’s always other outcasts. So the idea of her never having a single other friend by her early 20s just seemed a bit over done. As the story progresses, she has hangups about her developing friendship and romantic interest in Bones. He’s a vampire and she’s also a bit afraid of sex, having only one other short lived experience. Near the end, it’s all gotten a bit too melodramatic for my tastes and Bones adds his own melodrama over their relationship as well. This was my biggest turn off for the book. I wanted more bad guy butt kicking and burying, more character development, and less angsty weeping heart-on-the-sleeve stuff.

The plot was decent. Bones has been in the bounty hunter business for some time and he’s made some friends and some enemies. Cat has an obvious goal – hunt down her father. Initially, it’s just Cat and Bones doing some training and then some work together. Then Bones introduces her to some of his friends and some frenemies. There’s plenty of action and injuries.

I really liked that we learned some of Bones’s earliest background later in the story and I especially liked that it forced Cat to rethink some of her assumptions about Bones. I think that Bones could be a rather interesting character if he wasn’t all hung up on Cat and her drama.

The ending was OK. The melodrama was a big part of it. But I did like that Cat had to make some hard decisions in order to keep some control over her own life. One of my favorite parts of the book was Bones calling Cat out on her hypocrisy. Since Cat hasn’t had a real friend before this both hurt and was truthful so it was big stepping stone for Cat to see the truth in it and decide what to do with it. I know several people really enjoy this series and I’m on the fence about continuing it. It’s fun in a brainless, just tune out the world sort of way, but the melodrama coupled with the narrator’s voice for Bones… not so hot.

Narration: Tavia Gilbert did a great job with voice of Cat. She sounded like a 22 year old female vampire hunter with a chip on her shoulder. However, I didn’t really like her voice for Bones. He’s suppose to have this English-Australian accent that’s been softened by 200+ years of living wherever he likes. However, her voice for him is over done and not sexy at all, which normally wouldn’t be too important except he is the main love interest in a romance novel. Gilbert did do a great job of imbuing the voices with emotion and I liked her voice for the alcoholic ghost, Winston. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Aug 27, 2016 |
I'm always looking for new urban fantasy/ paranormal fantasy-romance (is that even a genre?) and I'd heard of this series for a while but I kept reading around it. Now that I finally picked it up, and I bash myself for not reading it earlier.
Catherine "Cat" is a vampire slayer. Commonly known as a dhampire in other books, she is half-human, half-vampire and all kicka**. After being informed on her 16th birthday what she was and how her father had raped her mother, she took it upon herself to kill vampires in the hopes of one day finding and killing her father. Although she is only 22, she has a highly impressive body count, using methods and skills she's learned on her own.
Then along comes Bones, an English vampire she attempts to kill but fails to. While being interrogated by Bones, they come to realize that they both have the same goal of killing the "bad" vampires. Seeing the benefit of Cat's strength and experience killing vamps while seeming like any other weak human, he "blackmails" her into combing forces.
It was quite a ride, as Bones "transformed" Cat into a sexy seductress that prowls bars and draws out the vampires. Especially since she is actually so shy and inexperienced in such matters. With his help, she is able to pull it off and learns how to use her "vampiric abilities" to her best advantage. Excited to see how she continues on without Bones after the ending where she fakes his death and escapes while leaving him a note to make it seem like she's done with him and the guilt of killing so many vamps. ( )
  bookharpy | Jul 4, 2016 |
Where do I start? I absolutely loved it! Cat and Bones just playoff each other so smoothly. This had the perfect amount of funny, mushiness, and action. Bones is such a fun character and you can't help but love Cat as well! I was a bit disappointed by the ending. Not having the second book just seems to make it worse...I just can't wait to read more. ( )
  LenaR0307 | Jun 27, 2016 |

“You're not a woman," he said finally. "You're the Grim Reaper with red hair!”

I've been seeing oodles of gushing about this series in my feed, in my UF and Paranormal groups, and from other Goodreads friends. I've owned it for a few years and finally got around to giving it a try. I'm sorry to say I found it average, and was tempted to bring the rating from 3 to 2 stars because the ending irritated me so badly.

I really, really despise that ending.

Since I have the second, I'll read that to hope it saturates my anger at the start - let's hope so anyway, there has to be a reason this series is so highly rated, right?

For positives, I love Bones. It's hard not to. He's the man with a plan who is dedicated to the girl and intent on being a bad boy. I like my heroes dark and he pushed most of my buttons. Even his name...but he didn't grow on me right away. It took a little bit for some reason, but when he did finally draw me in, it will fully and with commitment. Cat was fun with her humor but a little annoying sometimes with her narrow-mindness and trigger quick temper. Sometimes her jump into the action first before using common sense grated on my nerves. Still, she had some redeeming qualities, I'll wait to see if they flourish. For right now we're just on so-so-terms.

I dug the weird relationship with mommy-dearest though, I like dysfunctional family ties polluting the water and bringing drama to the table.

It's not a Paranormal romance that's overly sex heavy. That's there with for-real tension, but it waits a while and lets build up work. The scene when it finally comes it hotter than most. Their relationship is more than lust and skyrockets, though, it's endearing and addictive as well. Damn, still hate that ending!

Story-wise, there's one, but not enough to justify the length. Sure, action fills up the novel, but it's one large game of chase and fight, fight and chase. I'm not sure that tension warranted this length. It wasn't boring, but there wasn't enough of a plot impact to make me love this book's story compared to its size. The world isn't that largely weaved for a paranormal type, so far it's kind of on the down-low, with little description and not much spread beyond vampires and humans, but that can change.

What really works in this book besides delicious Bones? Humor. The entire book, as violent as it is, makes sure to dish out plenty of the funny stuff. Between Cat and Bones lines especially, and that cursed afternoon in her apartment where everyone kept showing up at the wrong time, to the uber-hilarious scenes when she glowers at Francesca. Bravo on the humor front, for it's the novel's best quality by far.

Mainly due to the Cat's sometimes silly decisions and rather selfish outlooks, to that horrible ending that I don't like the plot twist in, this book is a 3 star rating. Here's crossing my fingers that the next is higher.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Jeaniene Frost takes Urban Fantasy head on and makes the genre her own with a winning blend of humor, sex, and real emotion that will leave readers eager for more.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Kathryn Smith

Jeaniene Frost is dynamite. Halfway to the Grave is dark, sexy, and supernatural, blended with a touch of humor. I dare you to disagree--Cat will have you staked in five seconds flat.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Cheyenne McCray

Take one half-human/half-vampire female with serious anger and parental issues, add in a sexy ancient vampire with his own agenda, and you have the makings for a truly combustible series. Sign me up for the sequel!
added by cmwilson101 | editRomantic Times

Jeaniene Frostprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who always believed in me, even when I didn't.
I stiffened at the red and blue lights flashing behind me, because there was no way I could explain what was in the back of my truck.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061245089, Mass Market Paperback)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner—are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:27 -0400)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield pursues the undead with a vengeance in the hope that one of her prey will be the father who ruined her mother's life, but her plans go awry when she is captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,223,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible