Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Halfway to the Grave (edition 2007)

by Jeaniene Frost

Member:Lman
Title:Halfway to the Grave
Authors:Jeaniene Frost
Info:New York : Avon Books, 2007.
Collections:Ebook, Books Mooched, Read and given away
Rating:***
Tags:Frost Jeaniene 01, SF - Dark fantasy / Horror, SF - Urban fantasy, Paranormal romance, Night Huntress series

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

English (134)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (137)
The heroine spends her nights trolling local bars and killing the vampires who try to sleep with her because her mother was raped by a vamp and gave birth to a half breed. As a result, the heroine has heard her entire life that she has evil deep inside of her waiting to come out and has be quilted into slaying by her mother. One night she meets a vampire stronger than anyone she's ever faced before and is imprisoned in his cave. The hero has the psychic traits of a vampire, the pale skin, light blonde hair but he's so far from evil, despite the heroine's stubborn belief to think differently. When he discovers that she's a half breed he instantly spots an opportunity to use her in his bounty hunting business as bait to get to the vampires he hunts. This is what he tells her, but in truth, he admits later that he fell in love with her instantly after seeing how proud and strong she was in the face of certain death. From then on, he begins his training, teaching her to become faster and stronger so they can properly hunt the vampires and get the bounty. The heroine, who knows nothing different, stubbornly refuses to acknowledge the good in her task master and has a way of speaking to him that hurts his feelings. Though he's charming, easy going for the most part and jolly at the best of times, the hero is disappointed that she looks right through him, not talking the time to see what's right in front of her. Gradually, however, she begins to see the truth and they start their affair. I loved this story because they love between the two characters took time and they didn't just jump at each other. Although the hero is seriously in love with the heroine from almost the second they meet, the first person perceptive allows his feelings to go undetected until he finally admits them to her. He isn't afraid to tell her how he feels but he knows that he must wait for the appropriate time else he frightened her away. The heroine is insecure, her confidence damaged by a previous lover and she often thinks of only herself. She admits that she's insecure, selfish, ignorant and stubborn but as the story goes on she begins to open herself up again. This story was so funny at times and though the two characters have their moments of melancholy and melodrama, it's pretty quickly swallowed up by a laugh or joke. The fact that the hero calls the heroine the grim reaper because she has this tendency to kill someone the hero wanted to interrogate first. Or the fact the he calls her Kitten as a pet name despite the fact that she absolutely hates it for the majority of the book. Despite the paranormal nature to the book, it was really a book about discrimination and begins strong enough to stand on your one no matter how others seek to bring you down. Very nice. Though I really doubt that I can read all the other books in their series. I'm afraid I'll grow tired very quickly. Best not risk a good thing. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
To be a half vampire, half human creature - to hunt down the one who sired you because of what he had done to his mother - to fall in love with someone who at first seemed to be impossible and arrogant - to fight for what you believe in; this book is so much fun! Also, how can you resist an English vampire? ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
Let me start out by saying, "I NEED MORE BONES!!" This is one seriously sexy vamp. He's tough, but can be compassionate. He's kind of like Eric in season 4 of TB. (Although he still does not replace Mr. Northman as the hottest vampire ever.) Some of the things he says made me blush and giggle like a school girl. While, we're talking characters I'll discuss Cat. She's a strong female character. She believes she can handle things on her own and finds it hard to rely on a vampire of all things. She makes rash decisions that end up screwing her over. Overall she's a great character, and the banter between her and Bones is easy and natural. There isn't anything that feels awkward between the two. Well, besides that fact that he's a vampire and she thinks all vampires are the most evil creatures on the earth.

The plot was action packed. It kept me intrigued, and it was a battle to put my book down to go to bed. I loved seeing Bones & Cat work together to solve whatever their immediate problem was. They have different approaches to how they handle situations, but together they kick ass.

I highly recommend this book, and I can't wait to read the next book. I'm sure more problems will arise. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
This was a great urban fantasy or paranormal romance (? I always get them confused ? ). It kept me up late, and had me scrambling to finish the next morning. The Cockney accent that the audiobook narrator gives Bones is a bit distracting from his steaminess - but I was forewarned about that. (It makes him sound a bit like Tiny Tim). ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Jeaniene Frost takes Urban Fantasy head on and makes the genre her own with a winning blend of humor, sex, and real emotion that will leave readers eager for more.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Kathryn Smith

Jeaniene Frost is dynamite. Halfway to the Grave is dark, sexy, and supernatural, blended with a touch of humor. I dare you to disagree--Cat will have you staked in five seconds flat.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Cheyenne McCray

Take one half-human/half-vampire female with serious anger and parental issues, add in a sexy ancient vampire with his own agenda, and you have the makings for a truly combustible series. Sign me up for the sequel!
added by cmwilson101 | editRomantic Times

Jeaniene Frostprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who always believed in me, even when I didn't.
I stiffened at the red and blue lights flashing behind me, because there was no way I could explain what was in the back of my truck.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061245089, Mass Market Paperback)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner—are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:27 -0400)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield pursues the undead with a vengeance in the hope that one of her prey will be the father who ruined her mother's life, but her plans go awry when she is captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,917,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible