Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Halfway to the Grave (edition 2007)

by Jeaniene Frost

Member:Lman
Title:Halfway to the Grave
Authors:Jeaniene Frost
Info:New York : Avon Books, 2007.
Collections:Ebook, Books Mooched, Read and given away
Rating:***
Tags:Frost Jeaniene 01, SF - Dark fantasy / Horror, SF - Urban fantasy, Paranormal romance, Night Huntress series

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

English (136)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (139)

“You're not a woman," he said finally. "You're the Grim Reaper with red hair!”

I've been seeing oodles of gushing about this series in my feed, in my UF and Paranormal groups, and from other Goodreads friends. I've owned it for a few years and finally got around to giving it a try. I'm sorry to say I found it average, and was tempted to bring the rating from 3 to 2 stars because the ending irritated me so badly.

I really, really despise that ending.

Since I have the second, I'll read that to hope it saturates my anger at the start - let's hope so anyway, there has to be a reason this series is so highly rated, right?

For positives, I love Bones. It's hard not to. He's the man with a plan who is dedicated to the girl and intent on being a bad boy. I like my heroes dark and he pushed most of my buttons. Even his name...but he didn't grow on me right away. It took a little bit for some reason, but when he did finally draw me in, it will fully and with commitment. Cat was fun with her humor but a little annoying sometimes with her narrow-mindness and trigger quick temper. Sometimes her jump into the action first before using common sense grated on my nerves. Still, she had some redeeming qualities, I'll wait to see if they flourish. For right now we're just on so-so-terms.

I dug the weird relationship with mommy-dearest though, I like dysfunctional family ties polluting the water and bringing drama to the table.

It's not a Paranormal romance that's overly sex heavy. That's there with for-real tension, but it waits a while and lets build up work. The scene when it finally comes it hotter than most. Their relationship is more than lust and skyrockets, though, it's endearing and addictive as well. Damn, still hate that ending!

Story-wise, there's one, but not enough to justify the length. Sure, action fills up the novel, but it's one large game of chase and fight, fight and chase. I'm not sure that tension warranted this length. It wasn't boring, but there wasn't enough of a plot impact to make me love this book's story compared to its size. The world isn't that largely weaved for a paranormal type, so far it's kind of on the down-low, with little description and not much spread beyond vampires and humans, but that can change.

What really works in this book besides delicious Bones? Humor. The entire book, as violent as it is, makes sure to dish out plenty of the funny stuff. Between Cat and Bones lines especially, and that cursed afternoon in her apartment where everyone kept showing up at the wrong time, to the uber-hilarious scenes when she glowers at Francesca. Bravo on the humor front, for it's the novel's best quality by far.

Mainly due to the Cat's sometimes silly decisions and rather selfish outlooks, to that horrible ending that I don't like the plot twist in, this book is a 3 star rating. Here's crossing my fingers that the next is higher.

Paperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Really Loved it.
  Emmy_Gerard | Jun 3, 2016 |
Halfway to the Grave
4 Stars

Tavia Gilbert's does an exemplarily job with the various voices, however, her heavy low class British accent for Bones takes some getting used to.

Bones is an obvious carbon-copy of Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (bleached blond hair, dark eyes and a British accent - really, how unoriginal can you get?). He starts out as an obnoxious, supercilious git but his swagger conceals a well-developed sense of justice and he is ultimately revealed to be a real sweetheart. Cat is a likable heroine with some great kick-ass moves but she is also naive, prejudiced and judgmental - at least she seems to realize this and makes an effort to get past it.

The real problem is that Cat and Bones's chemistry is a little meh. Yes, they have the witty banter thing going on in spades but the rapid progression of their physical relationship is somewhat disappointing - more in line with paranormal romance than urban fantasy. Yes, they have an intense spark of attraction in the beginning, but the sizzle dies out quite quickly and by the middle of the book they sound like an old married couple.

The plot gives new meaning to the term "human trafficking". It is well-developed with some truly excellent action scenes. The ending is very satisfying and I'm intrigued by the direction the story is taking with the government agency involved in investigating the paranormal - it really appeals to my inner X-File.

Overall, not the brilliant masterpiece I was expecting given the hype but it is a fun read and I look forward to seeing what happens next with Cat and Bones. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
The heroine spends her nights trolling local bars and killing the vampires who try to sleep with her because her mother was raped by a vamp and gave birth to a half breed. As a result, the heroine has heard her entire life that she has evil deep inside of her waiting to come out and has be quilted into slaying by her mother. One night she meets a vampire stronger than anyone she's ever faced before and is imprisoned in his cave. The hero has the psychic traits of a vampire, the pale skin, light blonde hair but he's so far from evil, despite the heroine's stubborn belief to think differently. When he discovers that she's a half breed he instantly spots an opportunity to use her in his bounty hunting business as bait to get to the vampires he hunts. This is what he tells her, but in truth, he admits later that he fell in love with her instantly after seeing how proud and strong she was in the face of certain death. From then on, he begins his training, teaching her to become faster and stronger so they can properly hunt the vampires and get the bounty. The heroine, who knows nothing different, stubbornly refuses to acknowledge the good in her task master and has a way of speaking to him that hurts his feelings. Though he's charming, easy going for the most part and jolly at the best of times, the hero is disappointed that she looks right through him, not talking the time to see what's right in front of her. Gradually, however, she begins to see the truth and they start their affair. I loved this story because they love between the two characters took time and they didn't just jump at each other. Although the hero is seriously in love with the heroine from almost the second they meet, the first person perceptive allows his feelings to go undetected until he finally admits them to her. He isn't afraid to tell her how he feels but he knows that he must wait for the appropriate time else he frightened her away. The heroine is insecure, her confidence damaged by a previous lover and she often thinks of only herself. She admits that she's insecure, selfish, ignorant and stubborn but as the story goes on she begins to open herself up again. This story was so funny at times and though the two characters have their moments of melancholy and melodrama, it's pretty quickly swallowed up by a laugh or joke. The fact that the hero calls the heroine the grim reaper because she has this tendency to kill someone the hero wanted to interrogate first. Or the fact the he calls her Kitten as a pet name despite the fact that she absolutely hates it for the majority of the book. Despite the paranormal nature to the book, it was really a book about discrimination and begins strong enough to stand on your one no matter how others seek to bring you down. Very nice. Though I really doubt that I can read all the other books in their series. I'm afraid I'll grow tired very quickly. Best not risk a good thing. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
To be a half vampire, half human creature - to hunt down the one who sired you because of what he had done to his mother - to fall in love with someone who at first seemed to be impossible and arrogant - to fight for what you believe in; this book is so much fun! Also, how can you resist an English vampire? ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
Jeaniene Frost takes Urban Fantasy head on and makes the genre her own with a winning blend of humor, sex, and real emotion that will leave readers eager for more.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Kathryn Smith

Jeaniene Frost is dynamite. Halfway to the Grave is dark, sexy, and supernatural, blended with a touch of humor. I dare you to disagree--Cat will have you staked in five seconds flat.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Cheyenne McCray

Take one half-human/half-vampire female with serious anger and parental issues, add in a sexy ancient vampire with his own agenda, and you have the makings for a truly combustible series. Sign me up for the sequel!
added by cmwilson101 | editRomantic Times

Jeaniene Frostprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who always believed in me, even when I didn't.
I stiffened at the red and blue lights flashing behind me, because there was no way I could explain what was in the back of my truck.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061245089, Mass Market Paperback)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner—are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:27 -0400)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield pursues the undead with a vengeance in the hope that one of her prey will be the father who ruined her mother's life, but her plans go awry when she is captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,719,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible