Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Halfway to the Grave (edition 2007)

by Jeaniene Frost

Member:Lman
Title:Halfway to the Grave
Authors:Jeaniene Frost
Info:New York : Avon Books, 2007.
Collections:Ebook, Books Mooched, Read and given away
Rating:***
Tags:Frost Jeaniene 01, SF - Dark fantasy / Horror, SF - Urban fantasy, Paranormal romance, Night Huntress series

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

English (142)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  English (145)
Halfway to the Grave
4 Stars

Tavia Gilbert's does an exemplarily job with the various voices, however, her heavy low class British accent for Bones takes some getting used to.

Bones is an obvious carbon-copy of Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (bleached blond hair, dark eyes and a British accent - really, how unoriginal can you get?). He starts out as an obnoxious, supercilious git but his swagger conceals a well-developed sense of justice and he is ultimately revealed to be a real sweetheart. Cat is a likable heroine with some great kick-ass moves but she is also naive, prejudiced and judgmental - at least she seems to realize this and makes an effort to get past it.

The real problem is that Cat and Bones's chemistry is a little meh. Yes, they have the witty banter thing going on in spades but the rapid progression of their physical relationship is somewhat disappointing - more in line with paranormal romance than urban fantasy. Yes, they have an intense spark of attraction in the beginning, but the sizzle dies out quite quickly and by the middle of the book they sound like an old married couple.

The plot gives new meaning to the term "human trafficking". It is well-developed with some truly excellent action scenes. The ending is very satisfying and I'm intrigued by the direction the story is taking with the government agency involved in investigating the paranormal - it really appeals to my inner X-File.

Overall, not the brilliant masterpiece I was expecting given the hype but it is a fun read and I look forward to seeing what happens next with Cat and Bones. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
I listened to this in one day and loved it. Yes, it's a bit over-the-top, but come on. It's about sexy vampires and alcoholic ghosts and ghouls who like to cook, so considering the subject matter alone you've got to know it's going to be a bit outre. Anyway, I've read a lot of vampire fiction over the years, starting with Stoker's Dracula ad Anne Rice's series and including Feenan, Veihl, Hamilton, Ward, Harris and others too numerous to mention. Even *shudder* Stephanie Meyer's first novel. I'd more or less moved on from vampire fiction, though, because it's been, well, kind of overdone. But I really like this series (I finished Halfway to the Grave and, in the next five days, finished the next three in the Night Huntress series and the first two in the Night Hunters World series). So, yeah, I really like it. I even like the readers' voice for Bones. It makes him sound like a London guttersnipe, which is what others have called him, and he is snarky enough to want to keep it if only to annoy others, so I get it. It works for me, anyway. ( )
  Storeetllr | Nov 14, 2016 |
I requested this book from the library because of a book review blog. The person read mainly paranormal, and said that Jeaniene Frost was her all time favorite author. Anyone who loves paranormal & mentions a favorite author, that I've never heard of - well, I have to get the book, obviously.

And I was immediately disappointed. I just couldn't get into the book. I kept reading it, mainly because I kept forgetting to grab another book from my TBR pile & put it into my lunch bag. And it started getting better, and all of a sudden, I got hooked, completely engrossed in the story, couldn't put it down & thought about Cat & Bones all the time, begrudged my husband for interrupting me when I was reading, type of maddness. I don't know how or why it happened, but I'm thrilled to say that I can add Frost to my list of authors I enjoy, and I look forward to reading the rest of this series in the future! ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
I LOVE this book!!! Bones is well....sigh..... I am hooked on this series! ( )
  MzKitty | Sep 18, 2016 |
Cat Crawfield is half human and half vampire, her mother having been raped by a vampire, which left her pregnant. Cat has hated her vampire side her whole life and started hunting them in her teens, with her mom’s blessing. Now in her early 20s, she’s come across Bones, a vampire bounty hunter. Seems like a great person to team up with, right? Alas, Bones is also a vampire and Cat is torn between her single-minded approach to vampires (stake them and bury them) and her desire to learn more about vampires in order to hunt down her father.

This was a mostly fun paranormal romance. There’s a lot of witty banter, though by the end it was getting predictable. The characters started off interesting but then melodrama set in and I was wobbling about finishing it towards the end. While the romance was a bit silly, the sex scenes were pretty good – steamy and sweet.

Cat has a lot of hang ups which aren’t a big deal at the beginning of the book. Her unusual heritage and her mom’s hatred of vampires drive Cat to excel at her evening past time – going to clubs, luring vampires to secluded spots with the promise of sex, and staking them. She then buries them in the family orchard – vampnure! She had to learn much of what she knows on her own and there’s been no one to train her. So, that’s pretty impressive.

Alas, she has this whiny side. We all have one, and I don’t mind a character sharing a bit of it in a story, but she whined about something the entire book. First, she has no friends because she’s this outcast in a small town since her mother had her out of wedlock. Well, aren’t there other outcasts that you can at least sit around and commiserate with? There’s always other outcasts. So the idea of her never having a single other friend by her early 20s just seemed a bit over done. As the story progresses, she has hangups about her developing friendship and romantic interest in Bones. He’s a vampire and she’s also a bit afraid of sex, having only one other short lived experience. Near the end, it’s all gotten a bit too melodramatic for my tastes and Bones adds his own melodrama over their relationship as well. This was my biggest turn off for the book. I wanted more bad guy butt kicking and burying, more character development, and less angsty weeping heart-on-the-sleeve stuff.

The plot was decent. Bones has been in the bounty hunter business for some time and he’s made some friends and some enemies. Cat has an obvious goal – hunt down her father. Initially, it’s just Cat and Bones doing some training and then some work together. Then Bones introduces her to some of his friends and some frenemies. There’s plenty of action and injuries.

I really liked that we learned some of Bones’s earliest background later in the story and I especially liked that it forced Cat to rethink some of her assumptions about Bones. I think that Bones could be a rather interesting character if he wasn’t all hung up on Cat and her drama.

The ending was OK. The melodrama was a big part of it. But I did like that Cat had to make some hard decisions in order to keep some control over her own life. One of my favorite parts of the book was Bones calling Cat out on her hypocrisy. Since Cat hasn’t had a real friend before this both hurt and was truthful so it was big stepping stone for Cat to see the truth in it and decide what to do with it. I know several people really enjoy this series and I’m on the fence about continuing it. It’s fun in a brainless, just tune out the world sort of way, but the melodrama coupled with the narrator’s voice for Bones… not so hot.

Narration: Tavia Gilbert did a great job with voice of Cat. She sounded like a 22 year old female vampire hunter with a chip on her shoulder. However, I didn’t really like her voice for Bones. He’s suppose to have this English-Australian accent that’s been softened by 200+ years of living wherever he likes. However, her voice for him is over done and not sexy at all, which normally wouldn’t be too important except he is the main love interest in a romance novel. Gilbert did do a great job of imbuing the voices with emotion and I liked her voice for the alcoholic ghost, Winston. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Aug 27, 2016 |
Jeaniene Frost takes Urban Fantasy head on and makes the genre her own with a winning blend of humor, sex, and real emotion that will leave readers eager for more.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Kathryn Smith

Jeaniene Frost is dynamite. Halfway to the Grave is dark, sexy, and supernatural, blended with a touch of humor. I dare you to disagree--Cat will have you staked in five seconds flat.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Cheyenne McCray

Take one half-human/half-vampire female with serious anger and parental issues, add in a sexy ancient vampire with his own agenda, and you have the makings for a truly combustible series. Sign me up for the sequel!
added by cmwilson101 | editRomantic Times

Jeaniene Frostprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gilbert, TaviaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who always believed in me, even when I didn't.
I stiffened at the red and blue lights flashing behind me, because there was no way I could explain what was in the back of my truck.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061245089, Mass Market Paperback)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner—are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:27 -0400)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield pursues the undead with a vengeance in the hope that one of her prey will be the father who ruined her mother's life, but her plans go awry when she is captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,719,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible