Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Halfway to the Grave (edition 2007)

by Jeaniene Frost

Member:Lman
Title:Halfway to the Grave
Authors:Jeaniene Frost
Info:New York : Avon Books, 2007.
Collections:Ebook, Books Mooched, Read and given away
Rating:***
Tags:Frost Jeaniene 01, SF - Dark fantasy / Horror, SF - Urban fantasy, Paranormal romance, Night Huntress series

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

English (146)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All (149)
This is a meh book to me. It has a very vague opening. Yes, you start with action, but you don't learn the main character's name until at least half way into the first chapter. Some details wait until the second chapter or farther. Urgh.

I had real difficulty taking a liking to any of the characters. The primary, Cat, is more whiny and annoying than enjoyable. Naive is an understatement, even for the first book of a series. The vamps are ... questionable. Bones is just too full of himself. The most interesting bit has been the ghosts.

Okay, even I'm not so stupid as to take a drink from someone I don't know in an unknown bar when I'm by myself. Some of this stuff is taught to people or impressed on them. She's been to community college. SOMEONE had to enlighten her... unless she's more naïve than I thought. Though I'm trying to decide which is worse: Naïve or prudish. I think the main character doubled down on horrible by being both. *shudder*

The book comes with a batch of cliche phrases. Threw me from the story regularly. The ending with a secret government division wanting to hire her? Yeah, Cliché

Decent enough premise, meh execution. Could use some better characterizations and stronger writing. The rest of the series... not interested. ( )
  gilroy | Mar 13, 2017 |
I loved the adventure. This was a big surprise, because it not my typical read. Loved it ( )
  Sunshine22222 | Feb 19, 2017 |
I just finished rereading and I'm glad that I did. The book was better the second time around, I actually got to appreciate Bones' and Cat's relationship. Leaving out all the fighting and sex puns he actually made her feel safe in a way that I can genuinely relate to. In the end, I enjoyed the reread and I'm already 20 pages into the second. The saga continues. ( )
  jordanakaforever | Jan 13, 2017 |
Really Amazon, how is this Gothic Romance? ( )
  Charli30902 | Jan 5, 2017 |
Halfway to the Grave
4 Stars

Tavia Gilbert's does an exemplarily job with the various voices, however, her heavy low class British accent for Bones takes some getting used to.

Bones is an obvious carbon-copy of Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (bleached blond hair, dark eyes and a British accent - really, how unoriginal can you get?). He starts out as an obnoxious, supercilious git but his swagger conceals a well-developed sense of justice and he is ultimately revealed to be a real sweetheart. Cat is a likable heroine with some great kick-ass moves but she is also naive, prejudiced and judgmental - at least she seems to realize this and makes an effort to get past it.

The real problem is that Cat and Bones's chemistry is a little meh. Yes, they have the witty banter thing going on in spades but the rapid progression of their physical relationship is somewhat disappointing - more in line with paranormal romance than urban fantasy. Yes, they have an intense spark of attraction in the beginning, but the sizzle dies out quite quickly and by the middle of the book they sound like an old married couple.

The plot gives new meaning to the term "human trafficking". It is well-developed with some truly excellent action scenes. The ending is very satisfying and I'm intrigued by the direction the story is taking with the government agency involved in investigating the paranormal - it really appeals to my inner X-File.

Overall, not the brilliant masterpiece I was expecting given the hype but it is a fun read and I look forward to seeing what happens next with Cat and Bones. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Jeaniene Frost takes Urban Fantasy head on and makes the genre her own with a winning blend of humor, sex, and real emotion that will leave readers eager for more.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Kathryn Smith

Jeaniene Frost is dynamite. Halfway to the Grave is dark, sexy, and supernatural, blended with a touch of humor. I dare you to disagree--Cat will have you staked in five seconds flat.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Cheyenne McCray

Take one half-human/half-vampire female with serious anger and parental issues, add in a sexy ancient vampire with his own agenda, and you have the makings for a truly combustible series. Sign me up for the sequel!
added by cmwilson101 | editRomantic Times

Jeaniene Frostprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gilbert, TaviaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who always believed in me, even when I didn't.
I stiffened at the red and blue lights flashing behind me, because there was no way I could explain what was in the back of my truck.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061245089, Mass Market Paperback)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner—are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:27 -0400)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield pursues the undead with a vengeance in the hope that one of her prey will be the father who ruined her mother's life, but her plans go awry when she is captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,762,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible