Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Halfway to the Grave (edition 2007)

by Jeaniene Frost

2,2051282,944 (4.06)73
Member:Lman
Title:Halfway to the Grave
Authors:Jeaniene Frost
Info:New York : Avon Books, 2007.
Collections:eBook, Books Mooched, Read and given away
Rating:***
Tags:Frost Jeaniene 01, SF - Dark fantasy / Horror, SF - Urban fantasy, Paranormal romance, Night Huntress series

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

English (124)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (127)
This started well. Then got a bit bland. I don't feel anything for these characters. Now I got bored with their dynamics. I am kind of predicting what comes next. I don't know if I'll continue reading it.

Summary so far.
They have an agreement. He falls in love with her quickly. They have amazing sex. She says it was a mistake the next day. She can't love a vampire, they are evil, her mom..blah blah.
She gets in trouble for being stupid and having no social skills. She should have at least sensed something was wrong with the uni wacko...I guess her vampire instincts are only useful once in a while.
He tells her he loves her...I wonder what he loves about her. Her appearance? or the fact that she carries a revenge without stopping to think about the nature of the creatures she despises, even though she should know a bit, being half vampire and all.
She wants nothing with him, she distrusts him, but she gets jealous at the first opportunity. And after the big trouble she had with a human girl and a gun now she wants to go against a big, powerful vampire because it is her duty (in her mind). She hast to be heroic or something. She must prove that she is a strong woman, even when she knows nothing.
Wonder what happens next...One of them will get almost killed and their love will grow in the midst of danger? No idea, but right now I don't care. I'll get into it later, the guy is interesting at least.
  aka_no_joou | May 19, 2015 |
Good story and action ... I always like it when the hero knows what he wants and goes after it but wish I would have read description of each book in series first to see direction of relationship.
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
This book has the grittiness that I loved about the early [a:Laurell K. Hamilton|9550|Laurell K. Hamilton|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1299922606p2/9550.jpg] books. Frost isn't afraid to write about blood, death, and other unsavory things. Yet she does it in a way that doesn't make it trivial to the plot. The characters react in the own ways to it all and its pretty believable.

Cat was also surprisingly a very interesting character. She's a strong and witty heroine who manages to come across as vulnerable without sacrificing the validity of those character traits in the process. She's half-vampire and has been told by her mother that she's got evil in her. So she has this overblown concept that if she makes even the smallest misstep she could become a monster. In order to atone for that she goes out and kills vampires. One night while cruising for her next vampire kill she runs across Bones, who believes she is working for the villain of the story. In order to get information out of her her takes her captive and discovers what she is. She's determined to see all vampires killed and he's determined to kill one vampire in particular. Through this they form a tentative alliance with each other in order to take out a vampire who has been capturing women and selling them as sex slaves/food to other vampires.

Bones is what really made this story for me. He's clearly based off of Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but Frost adds enough of her own touches to the character that makes it work for her story. Because of this I would definitely recommend this series for Spike fans who are having withdrawals with the series no longer being on air.

This was an excellent start to the series. I only wish that it could have of ended on a more satisfying note than it did. The story ends on set up for the next installment in the series. And I hate it when books do that. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
I have read this series before and just LOVED it! I have just found it to be sound thrilling and full of adventure, passion and danger. Cat and Bones are just classic characters-deeply woven in the story in such a way that takes your breath away. I love both of them. Cat is a bit insecure about who she is, but Bones is NOT! LOL He is fully aware of who he is and his capabilities. He has a alpha side, but he also is the kind that will stand by his woman. I love how protective he can be, and other times be sensitive (but in a good manly and alpha fashion). I love the pace of this story, never ending thrill one after another. I always find myself so entertained when I read this. There is also a complexity to their relationship that I always find so provoking at times. There is never a dull moment in this one, and I always am cracking up. I love the dry yet witty humor that definitely has me hooked and reeled in the story. Just a sexy adventure with a hero to die for and a story that will draw you into a adventure you will never forget. One that no one should miss out on!!! ( )
  addictofromance | Dec 6, 2014 |
I adored this book. I haven't been this drawn to a paranormal romance since I started being a BDB addict. I went right out today and got the last three books in this series. I can't wait to start them. I adore Cat, she is a strong women who knows what she wants. I am completely in love with Bones, who is just drop dead sexy, hehehe, did you get my joke? ;) The sensuality and heat in this book was off the charts and the action was sweet...I could read Cat kicking butt through the whole book, oh wait, I did, and it was awesome. You have to read this series if you haven't already. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Jeaniene Frost takes Urban Fantasy head on and makes the genre her own with a winning blend of humor, sex, and real emotion that will leave readers eager for more.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Kathryn Smith

Jeaniene Frost is dynamite. Halfway to the Grave is dark, sexy, and supernatural, blended with a touch of humor. I dare you to disagree--Cat will have you staked in five seconds flat.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Cheyenne McCray

Take one half-human/half-vampire female with serious anger and parental issues, add in a sexy ancient vampire with his own agenda, and you have the makings for a truly combustible series. Sign me up for the sequel!
added by cmwilson101 | editRomantic Times

Jeaniene Frostprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who always believed in me, even when I didn't.
I stiffened at the red and blue lights flashing behind me, because there was no way I could explain what was in the back of my truck.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061245089, Mass Market Paperback)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner—are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:24 -0400)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield pursues the undead with a vengeance in the hope that one of her prey will be the father who ruined her mother's life, but her plans go awry when she is captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,146,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible