Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

English (127)  Hungarian (1)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (130)
I adored this book. I haven't been this drawn to a paranormal romance since I started being a BDB addict. I went right out today and got the last three books in this series. I can't wait to start them. I adore Cat, she is a strong women who knows what she wants. I am completely in love with Bones, who is just drop dead sexy, hehehe, did you get my joke? ;) The sensuality and heat in this book was off the charts and the action was sweet...I could read Cat kicking butt through the whole book, oh wait, I did, and it was awesome. You have to read this series if you haven't already. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
I really, really liked this book. The world and the characters were more fully realized than sample led me to believe. The story arc was well done and a very good mix of adventure, romance, urban fantasy, paranormal and PNR genres.

The heroine, Cat, was tough and kickass but not quite as one-dimensionally tough as opening bar scenes foretold. She did not blindly wander around this paranormal world blithely unquestioning things. She meets up with much-older-than-used-to vampire Crispin a.k.a. "Bones" who shakes up all her perceptions, shows her she needs more training in both her paranormal abilities and physical/fighting talents. Bones proceeds to convince (threaten) her to help him go after the really bad guys, vampires and others involved in slavery and murder. Trains her. Plot gets complex but stays believable once you accept the world building (a couple of infodump moments delineated the worldbuilding stuff but not that bad for the length of the book).

The romance/PNR portions were very well done. moving away from urban fantasy with endless battles to a little PNR with some sexual tension. Good. Thankfully building vs. instant soulmate or some drug or paranormal aspect causing characters to do something sexual. Actually, when I say "good" I mean hot; really hot smutty sex scenes with no one under otherworldly influence or requiring props like whips/chains/bondage/sex-toy enhancements.

Not YA although Cat in early twenties and college freshman. (Maybe that was redundant after noting hot sex scenes.)

Ending not a cliffhanger-buy-my-next-book-to-complete-story type (a personal pet peeve). Reading gets a complete story and is left knowing there is more to come in a series to look forward too. Not a trite, cliched ending despite the romance aspects of book.

[ The games and challenges in goodreads groups are proving to be really great for me. I am glad read for a BINGO game with a new-2-me-series square. Series was one always thinking of reading (wasn't sure if author was new to me) and glad I did.

Before reading, I had downloaded a sample which was kinda "meh" for me so was unsure about series. Sample had fairly typical vampire hunting kickass chick with special powers stalking the vamps down in bars. And we all know how much of that is out there in the genre--wasn't really up for another butch chick in bar urban fantasy. With the release of [book:Once Burned|7039218] that I almost went with (fit lots of other BOTM and challenges), figured better get into this series first.] ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
Yet another entry in the paranormal romance genre I seem to be gravitating towards lately. I could do without some of the romance, but I like hanging out in the world of vampires and other mythical creatures.

I do like the heroine's gradual journey towards self confidence, and in general I find her a likeable character, but I can't excuse killing the human governor, no matter how "evil" he was.

I'm also a little puzzled about whether Bones is meant to be a tribute to Spike from Buffy or simply a copy. I had a lot of trouble with the narrator's voice for Bones at first, as she really can't do British accents that well, but I got used to it.

I liked the book well enough to listen to the second one in the series, which I already bought b/c it was on sale at Audible. ( )
  PerpetualRevision | Oct 25, 2015 |
Synopsis: Cat's mother was raped by a vampire, leaving her pregnant with a half-breed daughter. To please her mother and assuage her guilt, Cat hunts vampires and kills them, believing that the only good vampire is a dead one, at least until she meets Bones.
Review: This is an interesting, well written book that appears to be evolving into a vampire romance series. I'm hoping that the following stories rely on a story line rather than 'will the boy and girl get together'. ( )
  DrLed | Oct 20, 2015 |

Edit noviembre 2013 .

Época de finales .no hago mas que estudiar y sin otra alternativa para el descanso , me puse a mirar las temporadas de buffy desde la quinta temporada (desde que se va riley mas específicamente ... que personaje odioso!) .

Me acorde de esta serie de Frost y también se me dio por visitarla nuevamente ...

Creo que la mejor manera de describirla es ( como dije la primera vez pero hoy un poco decepcionada al encontrarme nuevamente con la genial originalidad de la serie y ver las cuanto "coincide" Frost con ella)Cat es Buffy sin Xander ni Willow , y Bones es Spike pero ... mmmm ... Un Spike que no trata de violar a la muchachita ? spike un tanto mas meloso y mucho menos complejo ? Uffff ...ni se comparan en realidad .

Ciertamente me había olvidado muchos detalles de la Buffy original . ( y además siempre le di mas bolilla a las tres primeras temporadas .)

Me encanta .
Me encanta .

Es como leer sobre una realidad alternativa donde Buffy y Spike estàn juntos (Aunque siempre estuve enferma de amor por Angel . Si . Incluso cuando tenìa diez años .)

Gran libro . ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Jeaniene Frost takes Urban Fantasy head on and makes the genre her own with a winning blend of humor, sex, and real emotion that will leave readers eager for more.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Kathryn Smith
Jeaniene Frost is dynamite. Halfway to the Grave is dark, sexy, and supernatural, blended with a touch of humor. I dare you to disagree--Cat will have you staked in five seconds flat.
added by cmwilson101 | editAmazon.com, Cheyenne McCray
Take one half-human/half-vampire female with serious anger and parental issues, add in a sexy ancient vampire with his own agenda, and you have the makings for a truly combustible series. Sign me up for the sequel!
added by cmwilson101 | editRomantic Times

Jeaniene Frostprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who always believed in me, even when I didn't.
I stiffened at the red and blue lights flashing behind me, because there was no way I could explain what was in the back of my truck.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061245089, Mass Market Paperback)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father—the one responsible for ruining her mother's life. Then she's captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unholy partnership.

In exchange for finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She's amazed she doesn't end up as his dinner—are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her newfound status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side . . . and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:27 -0400)

Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield pursues the undead with a vengeance in the hope that one of her prey will be the father who ruined her mother's life, but her plans go awry when she is captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,877,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible