When We Were Romans by Matthew Kneale

When We Were Romans (edition 2008)

by Matthew Kneale

Collections:Read in 2008, Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Suspense, POV, POV-child, RC, 888, 2008, @D

When We Were Romans by Matthew Kneale

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (DetailMuse, tangentialine)
    tangentialine: these two books are formally similar in ways that can be annoying, but they tackle dramatically different issues.
    The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread: A Novel by Don Robertson (JGoto)
    Room by Emma Donoghue (DetailMuse)

I could take the point of view of the young man, I could take the juvenile references to many things, I could even take the story line/plot. What I could not take was the misspellings — you could tell many of them were so intentional, not an accident of youth. Too staged. ( )
  Bauernfeind | Jun 4, 2016 |
Excellent. A lot like A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time and Millions. The "narrator" is a nine year old boy and the author conveys this through inconsistent spelling which I found distracting. ( )
  CydMelcher | Feb 5, 2016 |
The last 20 pages took this from 2 stars to 2.5 stars.

I was very disappointed with this book, as I have really enjoyed others by Matthew Kneale.

I didn't get on with the child stream of consciousness writing style, and found it monotonous. The characters were unlikeable and one dimensional. The story was also one dimensional, and it wasn't until the (redeeming) final pages that the complexities and different aspects of the story became apparent. ( )
  rlangston | Jul 17, 2014 |
For my father, who taught me so much about how to build a story.
One day scientists found something strange out in space.

Nine-year-old Lawrence is the man in his family. He carefully watches over his willful little sister, Jemima, and his mother, Hannah. When Hannah becomes convinced that their estranged father is stalking them, the family flees London and heads for Rome, where Hannah lived happily as a young woman. For Lawrence, fascinated by stories of popes and emperors, Rome is an adventure. Though they are short of money, and move from home to home, staying with his mother’s old friends, little by little their new life seems to be taking shape. But the trouble that brought them to Italy will not quite leave them in peace.

Narrated in Lawrence’s perfectly rendered voice, When We Were Romans powerfully evokes the emotions and confusions of childhood—the triumphs, the jealousies, the fears, and the love. Even as everything he understands is turned upside down, Lawrence remains determined to keep his family together, viewing the world from a perspective that is at once endearingly innocent and preternaturally wise.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:57 -0400)

Nine-year-old Lawrence watches protectively over his mother and little sister, especially when, feeling endangered by their estranged father, his mother decides the three of them must leave their life in England to seek refuge in Rome.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,734,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible