Apple Tree Lean Down by Mary E. Pearce

Apple Tree Lean Down (1970)

by Mary E. Pearce

Opening in the late 1880’s, Apple Tree Lean Down by Mary E. Pearce is a family saga about the Tewkes and the Izzards. The story revolves around family difficulties that see Beth Twekes and her mother go to live with her difficult Grandfather. Her mother keeps house while Beth learns how to help in the running of his carpentry business. Beth is very clever yet wilful and distrust the fellow that her Grandfather has chosen for her. She chooses to leave and marries a farm labourer. Years go by but eventually her Grandfather comes to her and offers her husband a partnership in the business.

Told is gentle, descriptive prose this is just beginning of the story that follows this family through it’s ups and downs. By the end of the book, another main character has taken over the narrative, Betony, Beth’s daughter who turns 18 on the eve of the first World War. Eventually this saga will cover four generations of this yeoman family.

This is a story of England, told through the eyes of farmers, labourers and craftsmen. Covering births, marriages and deaths, the fortunes of this family, their hopes and their losses are revealed against a backdrop of scenes of country life in the late 18th century. I enjoyed this story, loved that it has such a strong sense of place, and I look forward to the next volume. ( )
2 vote DeltaQueen50 | Apr 25, 2017 |
My mom gave me this book when I was a teenager. It's a romance of the sort she favors- spanning generations of Brits. I loved it passionately in my youth and haven't read it in a very long time. There's one line in it that I loved especially, something about warm rains soft fields and a man sowing seed... ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Within the woodlands, flow'ry gladed,
By the oak tree's mossy root,
The sheenen grass-blades, timber-shaded,
Now do quiver underfoot;
An' birds do whissle auver head,
An' water's bubbblen in its bed,
An' there for me the apple tree
Do lean down low in Linden Lea.

William Barnes
To Beth, for the first eleven years of her life, Grandfather Tewke was merely a strange old man who sometimes passed through the village, driving a smart little pony and trap.

The first of three books in "The Apple Tree Saga", set in the Worcestershire countryside. In 1886 young Beth, coming to terms with a tragic loss, goes with her mother to keep house for her grandfather and help to run his carpentry business. By the author of "Seedtime and Harvest" and "Two Farms".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,984,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible