The Rose that Grew from Concrete by Tupac…

The Rose that Grew from Concrete (edition 2009)

by Tupac Shakur

Member:ogamez1
Title:The Rose that Grew from Concrete
Authors:Tupac Shakur
Info:MTV Books (2009), Paperback, 176 pages
Tags:Poetry

The Rose That Grew From Concrete by Tupac Shakur

The poems in this collection were written by Tupac Shakur and published in 1999, after his murder. Many of the poems are introspective; the poet writes about living in poverty, violence, love, and other personal topics. Some of the poems carry specific dedications to people in Shakur's life, or famous people as well. There was one poem each dedicated to Marilyn Monroe and Vincent Van Gogh, which I found interesting. Some of the material in this book was mature in nature, with specific reference to sex and drugs. Young adult readers should be cautious that they are not taken by surprise in regard to that content.
  jstrecker | Apr 19, 2016 |
This work collection of Tupack Shakur's poetry that was published after his death by his mother and his manager. The poems are presented in four sets: "The Rose that Grew From Concrete", which focuses on his upbringing and background as well as his struggles and his search for self; "Noting Can Come Between Us", poems to and about the women he loved; "Just a Breath of Freedom", an intermixing of poems about growth, disappointment, and family; and finally, "Liberty Needs Glasses", which again reflect issues of growth and struggle, but also look at social and political issues.

Each individual poem is presented as it was first originally written--handwritten on scrapes of paper or small notebooks; these handwritten poems have been reproduced in the book so you get to see Tupac's penmanship, his mistakes, the X-ing out of words, and doodling; it's almost like seeing his thought process as some of the poems were written. Then each poem is typeset on the facing page. Interestingly, as I found myself reading the book, I noticed that I was reading the hand written versions without looking at the typeset version at all unless a word on the handwritten version was unclear (but that was very rare).

I would recommended it because it's a wonderful look into his thoughts--the complexity and the intensity of them--and it's very well written and presented. It really is a wonderful read. ( )
  slpwhitehead | Jan 17, 2016 |

slpwhitehead | Jan 16, 2016 |
What made me decide to read Tupac's poetry was this ad. I saw it and thought, "wow, what powerful words." To my surprise, my friend told me they came from a poem Tupac wrote (I had no idea he also wrote poetry).

If I had to summarize the themes in these poems, I'd say love, anger, and longing. All three are present, all in diverse ways. I am not well versed in his music, but from what I know and have heard, these themes run through his lyrics as well.

A unique and added bonus to this book is that copies of his actual writings are included next to the typed poem. I found this allowed for a more personal glimpse inside Tupac's mind, especially with the doodles that often accompanied the poems ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
While I am not a big Tupac fan (my college roomate played his music about 24/7, and it's hard to enjoy any artist that much), I thought this was an intriguing concept for a book. I enjoyed seeing a little more into Tupac's world, though his poetry seemed typical for any 19 year old. I'm glad I read the book. ( )
  EllsbethB | Oct 29, 2015 |

His talent was unbounded, a raw force that commanded attention and respect.

His death was tragic -- a violent homage to the power of his voice.

His legacy is indomitable -- remaining vibrant and alive.

Written in his own hand at the age of nineteen, they embrace his spirit, his energy...and his ultimate message of hope.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:30 -0400)

His talent was unbounded, a raw force that commanded attention and respect. His death was tragic -- a violent homage to the power of his voice. His legacy is indomitable -- remaining vibrant and alive. Here now, newly discovered, are Tupac's most honest and intimate thoughts conveyed through the pure art of poetry -- a mirror into his enigmatic life and its many contradictions. Written in his own hand at the age of nineteen, they embrace his spirit, his energy ... and his ultimate message of hope.… (more)

Legacy Library: Tupac Shakur

Tupac Shakur has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Tupac Shakur's legacy profile.

See Tupac Shakur's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,636,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible