A Tramp Abroad by Mark Twain

A Tramp Abroad (1880)

by Mark Twain

English (15)  German (1)  All (16)
When Twain visited Germany in 1879 he was suffering writers block. His great work Huckleberry Finn was stuck mid-stream and he was too. What better way to shake the cobwebs off then a trip to Europe. Twain struggled through the writing of A Tramp Abroad and it shows in the sort of uneven quality and changing direction. Nevertheless it contains some excellent material. The first part about Heidelberg is the best - Twain didn't actually float a raft down the river and wreck (like what happened to Finn), this was made-up, but the descriptions of scenery and place makes it easy to follow on Google Maps and gain a sense of the place. The second best is in Switzerland as he recounts some climbs of renown up to the time, one gets a good sense of climbing culture and life in 19th Century. This is my first travel book by Twain I'd read more. ( )
  Stbalbach | Jan 20, 2018 |
The third of Twain's "travel books". Not as funny as the first (Innocents Abroad) and the writing also doesn't seem as fluent, but I still enjoyed the read. Some great little insights into life and travel 150 years ago.
Read Nov 2016 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 30, 2016 |
Brown cloth boards w gilt etching. Frontis illustration with "Titian's Moses", first edition, second state.
  lazysky | Jul 27, 2016 |
One of the greatest books about Mark Twain describing his time tramping (mostly) through Germany. it includes the essay "The Awful German Language"
I have now read it three times and still find new things to laugh at. ( )
  M_Clark | Apr 25, 2016 |
This book on tape had me laughing out loud in many places. I suspect there were jokes based on the time period in which it was written that I didn't even "get", but enough were universal to make the book funny even today.
There were a few sections which bogged down in endless descriptions and I almost gave up, but I'm glad I didn't. I preferred his descriptions of the interactions of the characters more than the description of scenery. Your mileage may vary. ( )
  KylaS | Feb 18, 2016 |

Mark Twainprimary authorall editionscalculated
Neider, CharlesEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One day it occurred to me that it had been many years since the world had been afforded the spectacle of a man adventurous enough to undertake a journey through Europe on foot.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140436081, Paperback)

Nearly nine decades after his death, Mark Twain remains an international icon. His white-maned, mustachioed image is instantly identifiable throughout the world, the very picture of probity and high spirits (which explains why he's become the poster boy for products as diverse as beer, billiard tables, sewing machines, pizza, and real estate). Perhaps more importantly, Twain's books have retained all their power to amuse and enrage. How is it possible for the creator of a 19th-century "boy's holiday book" (Twain's own description of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer) to raise so many contemporary hackles? The answer is that Twain is a contemporary writer. Not, of course, from a chronological point of view--he was born in Missouri in 1835 and died in 1910 (having insisted that "annihilation has no terrors for me"). But Twain was the first writer to elevate the American vernacular to a high art. Sidestepping the starched-shirt diction of his peers, he created an idiom that resembled (but did not precisely duplicate) the wayward, slangy, ungrammatical music of American conversation. No serious reader of Twain will want to do without the Oxford Mark Twain. This 29-volume leviathan includes not only the major works but also a treasure trove of essays and short pieces, many of them unavailable for decades. Throw in the introductions to each volume (by such heavyweights as Toni Morrison, Kurt Vonnegut, Cynthia Ozick, Gore Vidal, George Plimpton, Bobbie Ann Mason, and Walter Mosley), as well as the original illustrations, and you've got the book bargain of the millennium.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:44 -0400)

In A Tramp Abroad, Mark Twain's unofficial sequel to The Innocents Abroad, the author records his hilarious and diverse observations and insights while on a fifteen-month walking trip through Central Europe and the Alps.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,245,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible