Akira, Volume 1 by Katsuhiro Ōtomo

Akira, Volume 1

by Katsuhiro Ōtomo

Series: Akira (1)

English (15)  German (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (17)

see comment history
i finished Akira volume 1. it was ok not great but i did request volume 2 (reminds me i need to go see what the holdup is). i was able to follow along even though it's black and white.

one because it was comic strip format and not regular comic book format where pictures change size and sometimes direction throughout the book.

two i am sorta interested in the story. i don't like the main character that much but i can sense a rebellious uprising (¡Viva la Revolución!) and a government secret that will end the world coming in volume 2.
also there is only one female in the story so far. so that could be another reason why i don't like it that much. i prefer my sci-fi and dystopia to have a kick ass heroine in it. ( )

kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |
Excellent. The movie had to strip so much away, so that reading this manages to be quite fresh and shocking, even though I still have the basic idea of what's going on. 5 more volumes, of which I only have the second. Guess I'll have to shell out for the other 4.
4 stars oc ( )
  starcat | Aug 11, 2014 |

Of course, if you made it to the Open Mic, you already know what I've been re-reading.

I read a lot of memoirs in graphic novel form, and that is not what Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira is.

For all that made it groundbreaking in the 1980s (one of the first manga to be translated into English), volume one of Akira is also a throwback. The sound effects leap off the page like the old Batman live action tv show. The set-up is classic comic: young men, apparently still in school but independently resourceful enough to operate a drug dealing motorcycle gang, stumble their way into an adventure that unfolds slowly enough for them to figure out most of what's going on without any of main characters coming to serious harm.

Fandom has given a lot of attention to how numbing the violence becomes in George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire (and especially the novels after Game of Thrones). And while it's true (for me, at least) that I find it annoyingly disengaging to see Martin kill off major characters just as the readers have gotten to know them well enough to become attached, I also find it ridiculous to see multiple characters survive a dozen close calls within the span of a few hundred panels.

Because of this disinterest in the plot, I've never gotten around to buying volume two of Akira. But on re-reading, I found enough to like that I'm reconsidering my position. Especially in Otomo's framing and shading, and most especially in his speed lines, I find a lot to hold my attention on each page. ( )
  jscape2000 | May 13, 2013 |

A close encounter /
young punk in over his head /
Yamagata dies.
(leahdawn)

Science fiction tale of 2019 Tokyo after it's destruction in World War III, following the lives of two teenagers, Tetsuo and Kaneda, who must deal with the monstrous consuming power -- Akira.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,140,425 books! | Top bar: Always visible