Akira by Katsuhiro Ōtomo

English (13)  German (1)  Japanese (1)  All languages (15)
Excellent. The movie had to strip so much away, so that reading this manages to be quite fresh and shocking, even though I still have the basic idea of what's going on. 5 more volumes, of which I only have the second. Guess I'll have to shell out for the other 4.
4 stars oc ( )
  starcat | Aug 11, 2014 |

Of course, if you made it to the Open Mic, you already know what I've been re-reading.

I read a lot of memoirs in graphic novel form, and that is not what Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira is.

For all that made it groundbreaking in the 1980s (one of the first manga to be translated into English), volume one of Akira is also a throwback. The sound effects leap off the page like the old Batman live action tv show. The set-up is classic comic: young men, apparently still in school but independently resourceful enough to operate a drug dealing motorcycle gang, stumble their way into an adventure that unfolds slowly enough for them to figure out most of what's going on without any of main characters coming to serious harm.

Fandom has given a lot of attention to how numbing the violence becomes in George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire (and especially the novels after Game of Thrones). And while it's true (for me, at least) that I find it annoyingly disengaging to see Martin kill off major characters just as the readers have gotten to know them well enough to become attached, I also find it ridiculous to see multiple characters survive a dozen close calls within the span of a few hundred panels.

Because of this disinterest in the plot, I've never gotten around to buying volume two of Akira. But on re-reading, I found enough to like that I'm reconsidering my position. Especially in Otomo's framing and shading, and most especially in his speed lines, I find a lot to hold my attention on each page. ( )
  jscape2000 | May 13, 2013 |
Post-apocalyptic only in that we're in a post-apocalyptic world, but the story is less about that than the sci-fi/fantasy elements, with supernatural/psychokinetic powers and all that.

Will probably watch the movie; not super-inclined to read the rest of the series right now. Sad but true. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
I think my opinion on this work will be largely influenced by the quality of the rest of the volumes. I was entertained and intrigued by this book, though I found Tetsuo's personality change to be rather abrupt and lacking in foundation. I hope that the rest of the books will provide the illumination I seek. The art was incredible however, and I stopped reading more than once just to admire a panel and idly wish I had a print of it. But while I find the work to be very good, it's still a far cry from cozying up next to Watchmen on my Graphic Novel of Epic, Transcendent Genius shelf... of course, Watchmen is the only book on that shelf. ( )
  Kyniska | Apr 10, 2012 |
A mysterious governmental project in Japan yields super-powered children. Rival bike gangs war in the streets of Tokyo. Kaneda and his gang stumble upon a super-powered runaway. Kaneda's best friend, Tetsuo, bails on his bike and is taken away by ambulance. Later, Tetsuo reemerges with similar powers, and with the young Akira awakened from cryogenic slumber, Tokyo is levelled to ruin and overtaken by Tetsuo's army in the name of Lord Akira! Oh noes! However will Kaneda and co. be able to stop this dastardly duo?? ( )
  chantienyee | Jun 12, 2010 |

Science fiction tale of 2019 Tokyo after it's destruction in World War III, following the lives of two teenagers, Tetsuo and Kaneda, who must deal with the monstrous consuming power -- Akira.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,334,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible