Akira, Vol. 1 by Katsuhiro Otomo

Akira, Vol. 1 (edition 2009)

by Katsuhiro Otomo, Satoshi Kon (Illustrator)

Series: Akira (1)

Member:Zirl
Title:Akira, Vol. 1
Authors:Katsuhiro Otomo
Other authors:Satoshi Kon (Illustrator)
Info:Kodansha Comics (2009), Paperback, 352 pages

Akira, Volume 1 by Katsuhiro Ōtomo

English (19)  German (1)  Japanese (1)  All (21)

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer

Title: Akira #1
Series: Akira
Author & Artist: Katsuhiro Otomo
Rating: 4.5 of 5 Stars
Genre: Manga
Pages: 360

Synopsis:
Best friends, Kaneda and Tetsuo, are juvenile delinquents at a reform school. They are popping pills whenever they can and driving their motorcycles with their gang whenever they can.
One night Tetsuo gets into an accident trying to avoid a mysterious stranger and is taken to a hospital. When he comes back, he isn't the same Tetsuo.
Kaneda gets involved with a rogue group in the process of trying to find Tetsuo and runs afoul of a secret military branch.
And through it all, Akira, a secret weapon that started and ended World War III, is spoken about in hushed tones. What, or WHO, is Akira?

My Thoughts:
I read this sometime back in the early '00's soon after all 6 volumes were released by Dark Horse Comics in collected form. I was wicked impressed.

I was wicked impressed this time around as well. This blends punks, drugs, military, extra-sensory individuals and teen romance into one huge story. There was very little setup and we just jumped right in to the story. Kaneda and Tetsuo are shown as good friends, but thankfully there aren't endless flashbacks to their childhood or any such thing.

Otomo does a fantastic job of transforming Tetsuo from a slightly mild mannered punk into a vicious psychopath with unknown powers. You can also practically see Destiny with a Capital "D" surrounding his friend Kaneda as the one who will have to stop him.

This book is in a large format, which it has to be since most manga are around the 200- page mark and this is almost double that. One of the benefits is being able to peruse the pictures and SEE what is happening instead of just racing through the words. One thing I did find slightly disconcerting was that there were several instances where things seemed to have happened out of panel that we aren't privy to and the characters are reacting to that. Have to pay attention.

The artwork is what we have come to expect from a Post-Apocalyptic Neo-Tokyo. Highways leading to nowhere, futuristic military "things", the down and out slumming on the corners, massive underground mechanical items that we simply don't know what they are.

This re-read has lived up, so far, to my memories. I am glad of that. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
A reread for me from when I was younger, there isn't much I'll be able to add to the discussion on this book that hasn't already been said. Reading this as an adult now, tho, I can definitely appreciate the finer and more subtle points of the story. ( )
  tapestry100 | May 13, 2016 |
One of the best manga series AND animated movie feature, hands down. ( )
  ShayLRoss | Mar 16, 2016 |
I know this is a classic, but I'm debating if I want to read more of the series or not. Panel after panel of motorcycle gang machismo isn't really my ideal story. ( )
  EllsbethB | Feb 19, 2016 |

Kimberle (this is you)
3634 books | 44 friends
see comment history
i finished Akira volume 1. it was ok not great but i did request volume 2 (reminds me i need to go see what the holdup is). i was able to follow along even though it's black and white.

one because it was comic strip format and not regular comic book format where pictures change size and sometimes direction throughout the book.

two i am sorta interested in the story. i don't like the main character that much but i can sense a rebellious uprising (¡Viva la Revolución!) and a government secret that will end the world coming in volume 2.
also there is only one female in the story so far. so that could be another reason why i don't like it that much. i prefer my sci-fi and dystopia to have a kick ass heroine in it. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |

A close encounter /
young punk in over his head /
Yamagata dies.
(leahdawn)

Science fiction tale of 2019 Tokyo after it's destruction in World War III, following the lives of two teenagers, Tetsuo and Kaneda, who must deal with the monstrous consuming power -- Akira.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,316,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible