Brazil by John Updike

Brazil (original 1994; edition 1996)

by John Updike

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:Brazil
Authors:John Updike
Info:Ballantine Books (1996), Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:***

Brazil by John Updike (1994)

A Burnt-Out Case by Graham Greene (mediapuzzle, mediapuzzle)
    mediapuzzle: A similarly tragic tale in an exotic locale and very well written.
    mediapuzzle: A tragic tale in an exotic locale.

English (12)  Swedish (1)  All (13)
The Tristan and Isolde story re-located to Brazil of the seventies and eighties of the Twentieth Century.
  ivanfranko | Nov 18, 2016 |
Did I mention how much I love this book?
This was a true romance novel, yet so different from any other you will ever read! The ending killed me!!? *no spoilers!*
I loved the settings of the lush exotic country of Brazil, I also loved the obstacles this couple goes thru to prove their love to each other. I plan to re-read this book, again and again and again. ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
This may not be his best, but I like it the best of Updike's novels. A story of survival (on many levels), it shines as a novel about falling in lust and how things can go rather downhill from there... ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
This was a Bookcrossing pick-up.

Fiction love story between two Brazilians - one from money and status, the other from the working class, living at the poverty level. Together, they roam the country in building their life. It shows the surprising diversity of land, person and culture, in Brazil.
This story has some level of tragedy, yet my impression was it was not a sad story overall. It is about love and companionship. ( )
  honeyspur | Nov 2, 2015 |
I couldn't start this. I think it was all the schtuping. In his new novel (The Pregnant Widow) Martin Amis says of fornication that it is both indescribable and it populates the planet. Read into that the criticism that attempts to describe sex on the page usually fail. One wishes Updike, whom I otherwise love, had in at least this instance felt the same way. ( )
  William345 | Jun 11, 2014 |
Information from the All Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Thou know'st 'tis common; all that lives must die,
Passing through nature to eternity.
        —The Queen, in Hamlet.
Welcome, Brazilian brother—thy ample place is ready
A loving hand—a smile from the north—a sunny instant hail!
        —Walt Whitman, "A Christmas Greeting."
Black is a shade of brown.
Please do not combine with "Brazil" by any other author.

They meet by chance on Copacabana Beach: Tristao Raposo, a poor black teen from the Rio slums, surviving day to day on street smarts and the hustle, and Isabel Leme, an upper-class white girl, treated like a pampered slave by her absent though very powerful father. Convinced that fate brought them together, betrayed by families who threaten to tear them apart, Tristao and Isabel flee to the farthest reaches of Brazil's wild west -- unaware of the astonishing destiny that awaits them . . .

Spanning twenty-two years, from the mid-sixties to the late eighties, BRAZIL surprises and embraces the reader with its celebration of passion, loyalty, and New World innocence.

"A tour de force . . . Spectacular." -- Time

"Updike's novel, as tender as it is erotic, becomes a magnificently wrought love story . . . . Beautifully written." -- Detroit Free Press

From the Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:56 -0400)

Classic love story of Tristao Raposo and Isabel Leme set in Brazil spanning twenty-two years from the mid-Sixties to the mid-Eighties.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,225,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible