The Story of Us (MIRA) by Marcia Preston

The Story of Us (MIRA)

by Marcia Preston

At the beginning of this book we are introduced to Nathan who is to die tragically in a road accident. His mother decides to donate his heart. After his death she loses her reason for living - she is just going through the motions. However when she finds a forgotten letter from the wife of the man who received her son's heart, expressing her gratitude, she decides to try and track him down with the thought that maybe if she met him then her son's death would have some meaning. But on meeting him she finds that he is not taking care of himself that he too has had pain and trauma in his life. In time she strikes up a friendship with him. This is a book that looks at all sides of the issue and lets the many different characters tell their story of the tragedy - Clare and her ex husband, Nathans girlfriend, Claire's father, and Mason the recipient of the heart and even the truck driver who was responsible for Nathan's death. It is a different issue to write a book about and I am not sure- Is it something that most of us would want to do to track down the recipient of an organ transplant we were responsible for and would it in fact make us feel better or worse? And how would we feel if the recipient was not taking care of themselves So it was a thought provoking issue but in fact I did not enjoy this book as much as another of hers I have read West of the Wall. In jumping from character to character to let them tell their story maybe it lost some of its effectiveness. ( )
  kiwifortyniner | Oct 11, 2009 |

After the tragic death of her son, Nathan, Claire lost her reason for living. However, with the discovery of a forgotten letter, she feels she's been given a second chance to reconnect with her child.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,155,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible