Good Faeries Bad Faeries by Brian Froud

Good Faeries Bad Faeries (1998)

by Brian Froud

nice artwork but very similar to his other book. ( )
  MrsAlwyn | Nov 29, 2015 |
Library borrow; great drawings. inspiration for kids fancy dress. ( )
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
I had never heard of Froud until I stumbled up this book one day at my local used bookstore. This book fired my imagination and inspired me so so many different ways. From the quirky, to the gruesome, to the hauntingly beautiful, the artwork in this book is truly spectacular! ( )
  NathalieK | Dec 26, 2010 |
I enjoyed the illustrations in this book. Lush might be a word to describe them. I also enjoyed the references to faery lore from other places and times. I think others might enjoy the playfulness/seriousness of the text and descriptions of the faeries attributes, though I found them wearing. It's possible that the fact that it all smacked so much of Animism, which I don't subscribe to in any form, was what tired me of it. ( )
  MrsLee | Apr 29, 2010 |
anything of brian or wendy frouds work is amazing and up lifting making you feel like a child again full of hope and happiness ( )
  fionajane1981 | May 26, 2009 |

"Once upon a time, I thought faeries lived only in books, old folktales, and the past. That was before they burst upon my life as vibrant, luminous beings, permeating my art and my everyday existence, causing glorious havoc...."

In the long-awaited sequel to the international bestseller Faeries, artist Brian Froud rescues pixies, gnomes, and other faeries from the isolation of the nursery and the distance of history, bringing them into the present day with vitality and imagination. In this richly imagined new book, Brian reveals the secrets he has learned from the faeries -- what their noses and shoes look like, what mischief and what gentle assistance they can give, what their souls and their dreams are like.

As it turns out, faeries aren't all sweetness and light. In addition to such good faeries as Dream Weavers and Faery Godmothers, Brian introduces us to a host of less well behaved creatures -- traditional bad faeries like Morgana le Fay, but also the Soul Shrinker and the Gloominous Doom. The faery kingdom, we find, is as subject to good and evil as the human realm. Brilliantly documenting both the dark and the light, Good Faeries/Bad Faeries presents a world of enchantment and magic that deeply compels the imagination.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684847817, Hardcover)

Why are large, illustrated works offhandedly relegated to gather dust on the corner of your coffee table? Sure, you will want to put Good-Faeries/Bad Faeries in an obvious place, somewhere your friends will see it and pick it up, but it's far more than mere decoration. Froud's illustrations have delighted readers since his first book, Faeries, introduced us to the little people of folklore. Good Faeries/Bad Faeries is a doorway to the faery realm of the 20th century, where you'll meet delightful characters like Quempel, who dances to celebrate when something is done well; or the Buttered Toast Faery, who decides which side of a dropped piece of toast will hit the floor--faeries who will call you back so often that Good Faeries/Bad Faeries won't have a chance to gather dust. --Brian Patterson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:00 -0400)

An inverted volume in which good fairies such as the green man, the wood woman, and the pixies are described from front to back, and bad fairies such as gnomes, Black Annis, and Morgana le Fay are described from back to front.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,965,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible