My Silent War by Kim Philby

My Silent War

by Kim Philby

197659,709 (3.55)7

It certainly isn't as thrilling as the James Bond novels, but, on the plus side, it's more realisitic. ( )
  RamzArtso | Sep 15, 2013 |
Philby is an annoying git, but what a life he has lived. I wonder if we got the full story or is it just the tip of the iceburg.....we'll never know. Enjoyed the book once I got over hating who he was.
  strtrek | Jan 3, 2011 |
Leaves ass many questions unanswered as answered; not surprising considering when it was written. A good read. ( )
  NAFR | Nov 27, 2008 |
Spy
  Budzul | May 31, 2008 |
This book was quite exciting to read and the quote from Graham Greene on the front cover of my edition, that it is far more gripping than any novel of espionage, while over-stated, does contain some truth. But on the downside, Philby's self righteousness in his own cause oozes off the pages and leaves at times a sour taste in the reader's mouth. His routine dismissal of anyone opposed to the Soviet view as being at best a reactionary if not a fascist, and the denigration of well known Soviet defectors of the 1940s such as Viktor Kravchenko and Walter Krivitzky, will elicit knowing nods from anyone familiar with the standard Soviet reactions to criticism and dissent both then and in later decades. ( )
  john257hopper | Feb 7, 2008 |

Kim Philbyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Greene, GrahamForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knightley, PhillipIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strnad, ErnstTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

In the annals of espionage, one name towers above all others: that of H.A.R. “Kim” Philby, the ringleader of the legendary Cambridge spies. A member of the British establishment, Philby joined the Secret Intelligence Service in 1940, rose to the head of Soviet counterintelligence, and, as MI6’s liaison with the CIA and the FBI, betrayed every secret of Allied operations to the Russians, fatally compromising covert actions to roll back the Iron Curtain in the early years of the Cold War.

Written from Moscow in 1967, My Silent War shook the world and introduced a new archetype in fiction: the unrepentant spy. It inspired John le Carré’s Smiley novels and the later espionage novels of Graham Greene. Kim Philby was history’s most successful spy. He was also an exceptional writer who gave us the great iconic story of the Cold War and revolutionized, in the process, the art of espionage writing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:25 -0400)

Kim Philby joined the Secret Intelligence Service in 1940, rose to the head of Soviet counterintelligence, and, as MI6's liaison with the CIA and the FBI, betrayed every secret of Allied operations to the Russians. This is a fascinating insight into the mind and motivations of this master spy and Soviet double agent. Previous ed.: London: MacGibbon.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,789,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible