A Lick of Frost (Meredith Gentry, Book 6) by…

A Lick of Frost (Meredith Gentry, Book 6) (edition 2007)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

2,319453,981 (3.88)27
Member:RobynBachar
Title:A Lick of Frost (Meredith Gentry, Book 6)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Brilliance Audio on MP3-CD (2007), Edition: MP3 Una, MP3 CD
Tags:to-read

A Lick of Frost by Laurell K. Hamilton

Recently added byVKNask, R.Aidoo, Rieaphrodite, eloquinn, private library, Alicia_Olson, A.Reardon, Catz314

can't help it, I like Frost. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Oh baby, è figlio ma non è solo tuo figlio. WHT?!

Oh! Ora ci siamo!
FINALMENTE, ce l'abbiamo fatta! Alleluja!

Finale assolutamente incredibile (anche se un po' di comodo)...

Presto arriverà la "vera" recensione. ( )
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |
"Lick of Frost" picks up a few weeks after the last book ended and the Princess' world gets pretty much shaken up when Taranis, King of the Seelie court pretty much loses it in public, allowing his nobles to move against him and potentially offer Merry, heir to the Unseelie throne, the throne of the Seelie court.

This does not make things any easier for Merry. She doesn't trust the Seelie court and suspects the hint of an offer is to use her as a poltical tool in their own games. The offer also outrages her aunt, Queen of the Unseelie court. And outraged Queen is usually a very BAD thing, as long time readers of this series know.

Through it all Merry is realizing that her having favorites are affecting things and not for the best as she must learn to let go of things that she might not be able to keep as queen. The book shows more of faerie, including finally more of the Seelie court and how they live. It also looks more to faerie outside of the mounds.

This series is not my favorite Laurell Hamilton offering. The concept is interesting but the more you read of Merry the more it seems she is trying to be Anita Blake with wings. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
So many wonderful things happen in this book! But there is also great sorrow. As much that happened in this book all I can say, simply, is that I cried both tears of sadness and tears of joy. I also state that I truly do not like Taranis. ( )
  mariahsidhe | May 12, 2016 |
I summon to the winding ancient stair;
Set all your mind upon the steep ascent,
Upon the broken, crumbling battlement,
Upon the breathless starlit air,
Upon the star that marks the hidden pole;
Fix every wandering thought upon
That quarter where all thought is done:
Who can distinguish darkness from the soul...

from "A Dialogue of Self and Soul" by W. B. Yeats (The Winding Stair, 1933)
To Jonathon, who walks the stair with me.
I was sitting in an elegant conference room in the top of one of the gleaming towers that make up part of downtown Los Angeles.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345495918, Mass Market Paperback)

I am Meredith Gentry, princess and heir apparent to the throne in the realm of faerie, onetime private investigator in the mortal world. To be crowned queen, I must first continue the royal bloodline and give birth to an heir of my own. If I fail, my aunt, Queen Andais, will be free to do what she most desires: install her twisted son, Cel, as monarch . . . and kill me.

My royal guards surround me, and my best loved–my Darkness and my Killing Frost–are always beside me, sworn to protect and make love to me. But still the threat grows greater. For despite all my carnal efforts, I remain childless, while the machinations of my sinister, sadistic Queen and her confederates remain tireless. So my bodyguards and I have slipped back into Los Angeles, hoping to outrun the gathering shadows of court intrigue. But even exile isn’t enough to escape the grasp of those with dark designs.

Now King Taranis, powerful and vainglorious ruler of faerie’s Seelie Court, has leveled accusations against my noble guards of a heinous crime–and has gone so far as to ask the mortal authorities to prosecute. If he succeeds, my men face extradition to faerie and the hideous penalties that await them there. But I know that Taranis’s charges are baseless, and I sense that his true target is me. He tried to kill me when I was a child. Now I fear his intentions are far more terrifying.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:27 -0400)

It's the year 2140 and Longevity drugs have all but eradicated old age. A never-aging society can't sustain population growth, however...which means Anna should never have been born. Nor should any of the children she lives with at Grange Hall. The facility is full of boys and girls whose parents chose to have kidscalled surplusesdespite a law forbidding them from doing so. These children are raised as servants, and brought up to believe they must atone for their very existence. Then one day a boy named Peter appears at the Hall, bringing with him news of the world outside, a place where people are starting to say that Longevity is bad, and that maybe peopleshouldn'tlive forever. Peter begs Anna to escape with him, but Anna's not sure who to trust: the strange new boy whose version of life sounds like a dangerous fairy tale, or the familiar walls of Grange Hall and the head mistress who has controlled her every waking thought?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,245,620 books! | Top bar: Always visible