Tangled Webs

by Anne Bishop

Responding to an invitation sent by "Jaenelle Angelline," Surreal SaDiablo, former courtesan and assassin, arrives at the party and finds herself trapped in a living nightmare created by the tangled webs of Black Widow witches...and if she uses Craft to defend herself, she risks being sealed in the house forever. But Jaenelle did not send the invitation. And now Jaenelle and her family must rescue Surreal and the others inside without becoming trapped themselves-and then discover who has created such a place, and why.--From publisher description.… (more)
    Trick of the Light by Rob Thurman (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For a similarity in heroines.

66 points/100 (3.5 stars/5).

Jaenelle and Marian are building a "Spooky House" to play with some children, and are trying to rope others into helping them. There is also a book author out there with the same idea, but less nobel goals.

You know those episodes in tv series that are completely out of place within the story, but only seem to be there to celebrate some holiday like Halloween or Christmas? Well, imagine if they managed to stretch that episode out the entire season. That would be the equivalent of this book.

I really enjoyed the first quarter of the book. It was really cute. We see everyone during just normal times. Everyone is happy and healthy. However, holy shit that murder spooky house bit went on way, way too long. I really think this book could have been halved and literally nothing of value would have been lost. You just would have cut out the redundancy.

I'm just so disappointed in this book. I'm not certain what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. This is 100% skippable, in my opinion. The cute factor of seeing everyone being happy and together isn't even there to make it worth the read. I seriously suggest not reading this if you want a book anything like the trilogy. ( )
  keikii | Jan 23, 2020 |
Creating a Spooky House to kill the SaDiablo family is a HUGE mistake.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
I've you've made it through the original trilogy and are looking for more, this is an entertaining little story. Romantic, dark and melodramatic to the point of ridiculous (which is something I like at times - it's part of what escapist reading is all about). The villain is somewhat Mary Sue-ish (which was a nice twist, even though he was flat as most of her villains) and I encountered another haunted house plot device in a Tanya Huff book I read a few years ago, so I could've wished for something a little more original, but it's nice to see Bishop enjoying her characters and looking for new ways to heal them. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Spooky houses

Once again Anne Bishop does not disappoint. A writers attempts at writing books about the Bloods are very popular. The Bloods are reading them, too, but not because they are less realistic than laughable. He finds out they are laughing at his work and decides to find out what they are really like and punish them for their lack of respect. Meanwhile Janelle is planning a lesson of her own. I loved this, loved the characters, as usual and am going on to the next book in this series. ( )
  bm2ng | Apr 9, 2019 |
A new author has taken the Blood by storm. Jarvis Jenkell is a famous author among the landen. He has just learned that he is Blood and has decided to write a semi-autobiographical mystery series. Unfortunately, he doesn't know anything about actually being a member of the Blood and his attempts are laughable - to the Blood.

Jenkell's book gives Jaenelle an idea. She and Marian are going to create a "spooky house" that plays up to the landen's stereotypes of the Blood. Neither Daemon or Lucivar are really excited about this idea but they have a hard time saying no to Jaenelle.

Jenkell also has plans for a "spooky house." He wants to get back at the Blood who laughed at him. He is particularly angry at the SaDiablo family. He sends invitations to Lucivar, Daemon, and Surreal. Lucivar and Daemon don't respond for one reason or another but Surreal does and takes along her friend Warlord Prince Rainier.

Soon Surreal and Rainier find themselves trapped in Jenkell's house along with seven young adults. Everywhere they turn they find traps and dangers that they need to survive. They also need to find a way out without using Craft because each use of Craft closes one of the exits. Closing them all will leave them trapped forever.

Once Jaenelle, Daemon and Lucivar discover Jenkell's house, they have to find a way to outwit him and get their friends out. Jenkell will soon find out what it means to anger a Black-Jeweled Warrior Prince and Eyrien Warlord. And Jaenelle isn't pleased either!

I enjoyed this story despite a lot of spooky parts. Giggling spiders! Beetles! I loved seeing Daemon and Jaenelle's relationship now that they aren't in the middle of saving the world. ( )
  kmartin802 | Jan 9, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

For Julie E. Czerneda and James Alan Gardner
Here's to another ten years of friendship and good stories.
He laid his hand on the cover of his latest book, closed his eyes to shut out the world around him, and savored this new reality that was still so painfully sweet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,637,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible