Lady Oracle by Margaret Atwood

Lady Oracle (original 1976; edition 1998)

by Margaret Atwood

Member:bookishgardener
Title:Lady Oracle
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Info:Anchor (1998), Edition: 1 Anchor, Paperback

Lady Oracle by Margaret Atwood (1976)

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb (Anonymous user)

English (31)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (33)
Not my favourite and so many years since I read it there were only a very few pages I had any memory of. Still a really interesting read and mixes so many different genre styles and themes, covert as well as overt! I read this really quickly so I obviously found it hard to put down. However at bottom pretty bleak despite the laughs although the protagonist is still pretty young at the end (I think) and a better future is still open. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
Definitely not her best work. Though in another review I read that this was one of her earlier novels which may explain why it was so irritating. It just feels like there was no resolution. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Not sure quite what to say about this one. On one hand, some of it was very witty and lively. But I had no time for Joan's whininess about her weight, relationships, and self worth. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
I adore Margaret Atwood, and so much like other reviewers, it's no surprise that I liked this as well. Double lives, and realizing there are parts of you that even when you run away, you take with you.
  omnia_mutantur | Nov 7, 2013 |
This is the only book by Atwood I've read to date. I suspect its not her best work, but it was still worth a read. ( )
  stacy_chambers | Aug 22, 2013 |
Atwoodové román se odehrává v druhé polovině 20. století a politicky odráží zejména existenci západních levicových hnutí. Sama Atwoodová se aktivně hlásí k levici a patří k propagátorům ekologického života. V očích Joan jde ale o bezzubé bojůvky, kterým přes velkolepé ideály chybí konkrétní cíl i prostředky.

Bohatý děj doplňuje neodolatelný atwoodovský humor a samozřejmě i ironický feminismus. Její hrdinka se sice motá v začarovaném kruhu, své konání ale reflektuje s dokonalým odstupem: Joan se snaží řídit svůj vlastní život jako život svých romantických románových hrdinek, ale vůbec se jí to nedaří, život se jí vymyká z rukou. Každá další maska je jen komplikací, z níž už není cesty zpět. Snad jen ta schopnost nadhledu ji ještě drží nad vodou. A že se nedočkáme laciného happyendu, jaký by nechyběl v Joaniných románcích, či naopak nějaké konečné tragédie, je nasnadě.

Které já však v závěru vítězí, není vůbec jasné. Joan se v Itálii místo pocitu osvobození zmocní paranoia a fikce se životem se jí promíchá natolik, že ve snaze uchopit život do vlastních rukou praští flaškou naprosto nevinného chlápka.
added by _eskarina | editIdnes.cz, Hana Ulmanová (Dec 28, 2009)

I planned my death carefully; unlike my life, which meandered along from one thing to another, despite my feeble attempts to control it.

Faking her own death, Joan Foster flees to an Italian seaside resort there to take stock of her life - and death - so far: a life of multiple identities and transformations, from fat girl to thin, from red hair to mud brown, from London to Toronto, from Polish Count to radical husband to the Royal Porcupine (her 'con-create' poet lover), from the secret writing of gothic romances to life as Canada's 'most distunguished female poet'. Blundering from one adventure to another, each crisis more lurid and extraordinary than the last, our irrepressible heroine is always hilarious and always a survivor - if only just.

Joan Foster is the bored wife of a myopic ban-the-bomber.  She takes off overnight as Canada's new superpoet, pens lurid gothics on the sly, attracts a blackmailing reporter, skids cheerfully in and out of menacing plots, hair-raising traps, and passionate trysts, and lands dead and well in Terremoto, Italy.  In this remarkable, poetic, and magical novel, Margaret Atwood proves yet again why she is considered to be one of the most important and accomplished writers of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:15 -0400)

Joan Foster is the bored wife of a myopic ban-the-bomber. She takes off overnight as Canada's new superpoet, pens lurid gothics on the sly, attracts a blackmailing reporter, skids cheerfully in and out of menacing plots, hair-raising traps, and passionate trysts, and lands dead and well in Terremoto, Italy. In this remarkable, poetic, and magical novel, Margaret Atwood proves yet again why she is considered to be one of the most important and accomplished writers of our time.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,102,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible