The Girl Who Stopped Swimming by Joshilyn…

The Girl Who Stopped Swimming (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Joshilyn Jackson

Member:dellis
Title:The Girl Who Stopped Swimming
Authors:Joshilyn Jackson
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2008), Hardcover, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Southern, ghosts, poverty, sisters

The Girl Who Stopped Swimming by Joshilyn Jackson (2008)

English (44)  Dutch (1)  All languages (45)
This book was a little depressing and there was a lot I didn't understand. I wasn't expecting it to be a mystery, but it turned into one. I have to keep in mind that I am reading it after [b:Julia's Chocolates|807108|Julia's Chocolates|Cathy Lamb|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1178568637s/807108.jpg|3250025] and books I read after fabulous new discoveries are at a disadvantage. ( )
  jlapac | Aug 14, 2013 |
The characters are an awesome dynamic in this book - the way they interact is what made me keep reading. ( )
  E.J | Apr 3, 2013 |
This was a quick read. At first I didn't think I liked where it was heading, but overall I found it an interesting book. ( )
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |
Nice interplay between the sisters: on the one hand, you know me best; on the other hand, get out of my house and never come back. Likewise a couple of good spouses: loyal but with opinions of their own. The ripple effects that a past tragedy brings to the next one. ( )
  annmariegamble | Mar 31, 2013 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Mar 31, 2013 |
And for Scott, right now
Until the ground girl came to Laurel's bedroom, ghosts had never walked in Victorianna.

Lauren Gray Hawthorne needs to make things pretty, whether she's helping her mother keep family skeletons in the closet or sewing her acclaimed art quilts. Her estranged sister, Thalia, is her opposite, an impoverished actress who prides herself on exposing the lurid truths lurking behind middle class niceties.

While Laurel's life seems neatly on track-- a passionate marriage, a treasured daughter, a lovely suburban home-- everything she holds dear is threatened the night she is visited by the ghost of her 13-year-old neighbor Molly. The ghost leads Laurel to the real Molly, floating lifelessly in the Hawthorne's backyard pool. Molly's death is an unseemly mystery that no one in her whitewashed neighborhood is up to solving. Laurel enlists Thalia's help, even though she knows it comes with a high price tag.

Together, they set out on a life-altering journey that triggers startling revelations about their family's haunted past, the true state of Laurel's marriage, and the girl who stopped swimming.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:41 -0400)

Laurel Gray Hawthorne's life seems neatly on track--a passionate marriage, a treasured daughter, and a lovely home in suburban Victorianna--until everything she holds dear is suddenly thrown into question the night she is visited by the ghost of a her 13-year old neighbor Molly Dufresne.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,326,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible