Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Like Water for Chocolate (original 1989; edition 1993)

by Laura Esquivel

7,947None409 (3.86)366
Member:elliepotten
Title:Like Water for Chocolate
Authors:Laura Esquivel
Info:Black Swan (1993), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2009
Rating:****1/2
Tags:fiction, food, Mexico, women, romance, magical realism, magic, film tie-in, adapted for the screen

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (1989)

1001 (50) 1001 books (54) 20th century (44) cooking (208) family (77) fantasy (51) fiction (1,147) food (253) historical fiction (32) Latin America (89) latin american literature (56) literature (90) love (108) love story (38) made into movie (31) magical realism (413) Mexican (110) mexican literature (78) Mexico (446) movie (34) novel (154) own (37) read (113) recipes (118) romance (249) Spanish (121) to-read (87) translation (42) unread (36) women (41)
    The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (krizia_lazaro)
    Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard by Kiran Desai (MaidMeri)
    MaidMeri: Desai's book is a much, much lighter read, but like Esquivel's, full of trivial yet delightful details and sub-plots. Other similarities include cooking, being repressed by one's family and eccentric, strong female characters.
    The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry (ReadHanded)
    ReadHanded: Food, recipes, and magic realism
    Chocolat by Joanne Harris (infiniteletters)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: A breathtakingly rich masterpiece following 7 generations of the Buendía family in a fictional Colombian town bursting with magical realism.
    The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender (DetailMuse)
    The Flamenco Academy: A Novel by Sarah Bird (persky)
    The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister (DetailMuse)
    Aphrodite: A Memoir of the Senses by Isabel Allende (rhigueras)
    The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea (starfishian)
    Lovesick by Angeles Mastretta (chrisharpe)
    The River Midnight by Lilian Nattel (starfishian)
    Magic Spells by Christy Yorke (infiniteletters)
    Eva Luna by Isabel Allende (Becchanalia)
    Of Bees and Mist by Erick Setiawan (Becchanalia)

English (146)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (4)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (163)
This book was tons of fun. It's an easy read and quite fantastical. I enjoy how it's all bound together with traditional Mexican recipes. Well worth the read.

steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
One of the unexpected pleasures of learning a language is that it gives you an excuse to indulge yourself with a few hackneyed bestsellers of the sort that wouldn't normally be allowed to darken your shelves.

I had great fun reading this: it's pleasurable in a similar sort of way to Alexander McCall Smith's novels, with all the violence and passion made safe and comforting by the kitchen-table nostalgia. And very competently put together. I did have the feeling sometimes that the romantic storyline was only there to introduce an element of suspense into the cookery, which is clearly what the book is really about. Certainly, Esquival's treatment of the Mexican revolution must count as one of the most off-stage wars in literary history. But it's churlish to pick holes: it does what it does exceedingly well. ( )
  thorold | Mar 17, 2014 |
I'm not a big fan of romantic fiction, but I very much enjoy a good food story. This had a dozen such stories... which read deliciously (and look decent in the movie as well). I very much appreciate the ingredients lists at the chapter beginnings, but feel that it lets the romance get in the way of really bringing us into the preparation. Also - and this is specific to the printing I have - the paperback format with glue binding is not conducive to reading in the kitchen. ( )
  bbotany | Feb 17, 2014 |
This one just wasn't for me. There was some lovely language, and I'm sure it's lovelier in the original Spanish. But, I just didn't really like the book itself. I'm trying to put my finger on why and I think it's mostly the characters. I found them all either ridiculously mean or completely weak. I never bought into Pedro and Tita's great love, and if you don't buy that then the book really doesn't work. To me, John was the only redeeming character and he gets screwed in the end. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Genre: Magical Realism
The story of this Mexican family is set against the backdrop of the Mexican Revolution (1910-17). It has 12 chapters and 12 recipes. Each chapter is for a month starting with January and going in order to December and each month features a traditional Mexican recipe. The story is told through the women of the De La Garza family. The men in the book have only minor roles. The main relationship is between Tita (daughter) and her mother Mama Elena. Perhaps this relationship is a picture of the relationship of Mexico's people and their struggle for freedom. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |

Laura Esquivelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christensen, CarolTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Christensen, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pernu, SannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the table or to bed. You must come when you are bid.
Take care to chop the onion fine.
"The truth! The truth! Look, Tita, the simple truth is that the truth does not exist; it all depends on a person's point of view."
The original Spanish title was “Como agua para chocolate”.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038542017X, Paperback)

Earthy, magical, and utterly charming, this tale of family life in tum-of-the-century Mexico became a best-selling phenomenon with its winning blend of poignant romance and bittersweet wit.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:36 -0400)

With more than two million copies in print, this beloved novel has become a treasured part of America's literary memory. Now, for the first time, this "tall-tale, fairy-tale, soap opera romance, Mexican cookbook, and home-remedy handbook all rolled into one" (San Francisco Chronicle) is available in trade paper with the original art from the hardcover.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,502,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible