Like Water For Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Like Water For Chocolate (original 1989; edition 1994)

by Laura Esquivel

8,750197346 (3.85)437
Member:MarilynD
Title:Like Water For Chocolate
Authors:Laura Esquivel
Info:Anchor (1994), Unknown Binding
Collections:no longer own, Read
Tags:Fiction, Cooking

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (1989)

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (krizia_lazaro)
    Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard by Kiran Desai (MaidMeri)
    MaidMeri: Desai's book is a much, much lighter read, but like Esquivel's, full of trivial yet delightful details and sub-plots. Other similarities include cooking, being repressed by one's family and eccentric, strong female characters.
    The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry (ReadHanded)
    ReadHanded: Food, recipes, and magic realism
    Chocolat by Joanne Harris (infiniteletters)
    Aphrodite: A Memoir of the Senses by Isabel Allende (rhigueras)
    The Particular Sadness Of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender (DetailMuse)
    The Flamenco Academy: A Novel by Sarah Bird (persky)
    The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister (DetailMuse)
    The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea (starfishian)
    The River Midnight by Lilian Nattel (starfishian)
    Lovesick by Angeles Mastretta (chrisharpe)
    Magic Spells by Christy Yorke (infiniteletters)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: A breathtakingly rich masterpiece following 7 generations of the Buendía family in a fictional Colombian town bursting with magical realism.
    Eva Luna by Isabel Allende (Becchanalia)
    Of Bees and Mist by Erick Setiawan (Becchanalia)

English (174)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (5)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (196)
A pleasant enough read of a Mexican family on an estate during the times of revolution. The head of the family is a widowed mother, a vicious harpy who rules her daughters with an iron fist. It’s a slim volume of passionate love with recipes of chili, chocolate, and beans ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
I liked this even better than the movie. Has that Latin flair for the melodrama that is somehow also happy and magical. Loved the recipes and results of the cooking. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
From way outside my usual reading fields, this is my first experience of magic realism, set in revolutionary mexico. I'm glad I read it, but I doubt I will need to read too many more books in this genre.
March 2016 ( )
  mbmackay | Mar 16, 2016 |
Each of us is attracted to certain things in movies, books and sorts of entertainment. We already established that I'm hopelessly romantic, add another fact dear readers, I love anything with food or dancing.

So while searching for a list of movies with food, I found a magical realism movie called "Like Water for Chocolate", I ate it up. What made me want to read the book is Stephanie Perkins's "Anna and the French Kiss". I ordered two books of the books mentioned in this novel.

Today, I received my copy of the book, it's much smaller than I thought, with the movie so long and all that. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

Pernu, SannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peteri, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toelke, CathleenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the table or to bed
You must come when you are bid.
Take care to chop the onion fine.
"The truth! The truth! Look, Tita, the simple truth is that the truth does not exist; it all depends on a person's point of view."
The original Spanish title was “Como agua para chocolate”.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038542017X, Paperback)

Earthy, magical, and utterly charming, this tale of family life in tum-of-the-century Mexico became a best-selling phenomenon with its winning blend of poignant romance and bittersweet wit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:28 -0400)

With more than two million copies in print, this beloved novel has become a treasured part of America's literary memory. Now, for the first time, this "tall-tale, fairy-tale, soap opera romance, Mexican cookbook, and home-remedy handbook all rolled into one" (San Francisco Chronicle) is available in trade paper with the original art from the hardcover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,448,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible