Like Water For Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Like Water For Chocolate (original 1989; edition 1994)

by Laura Esquivel

Member:MarilynD
Title:Like Water For Chocolate
Authors:Laura Esquivel
Info:Anchor (1994), Unknown Binding
Collections:no longer own, Read
Tags:Fiction, Cooking

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (1989)

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (krizia_lazaro)
    The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry (ReadHanded)
    ReadHanded: Food, recipes, and magic realism
    Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard by Kiran Desai (MaidMeri)
    MaidMeri: Desai's book is a much, much lighter read, but like Esquivel's, full of trivial yet delightful details and sub-plots. Other similarities include cooking, being repressed by one's family and eccentric, strong female characters.
    Aphrodite: A Memoir of the Senses by Isabel Allende (rhigueras)
    Chocolat by Joanne Harris (infiniteletters)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: A breathtakingly rich masterpiece following 7 generations of the Buendía family in a fictional Colombian town bursting with magical realism.
    The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender (DetailMuse)
    The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister (DetailMuse)
    Lovesick by Angeles Mastretta (chrisharpe)
    The Flamenco Academy: A Novel by Sarah Bird (persky)
    The River Midnight by Lilian Nattel (starfishian)
    Magic Spells by Christy Yorke (infiniteletters)
    The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea (starfishian)
    Eva Luna by Isabel Allende (Becchanalia)
    Of Bees and Mist by Erick Setiawan (Becchanalia)

English (153)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (4)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (171)
I have had this book on my TBR list for a few years. I don't know why I kept putting off reading this book.

I really enjoyed the stories being told with the different recipes for the different events in the lives of the De la Garza family. The birth of the youngest daughter Tita and how she is supposed to never get married. Since Tita is the youngest she has to stay and take care of her mother until she dies. Tita is denied true love.

This is the main story of Like Water for Chocolate. The recipes are interesting and how they can affect others due to the feelings of the person making the meals.
  crazy4reading | Sep 28, 2014 |
Tita's destiny as the youngest daughter is to never marry and always serve her mother until death. But the passion between Tita and Pedro cannot be hidden, even when he marries her sister. And with each recipe Tita cooks, we can see her emotions flowing through her food.

I love these types of recipe/story books. The description of food is mouth watering and I thought the book was interesting.

Okay, now I'm going to walk into slightly controversial grounds and say that this book made me think of stereotypes. Specifically, I felt like this book perpetuated Mexican stereotypes for me. But if the author herself is Mexican, then ought I treat it as true?
Situations like teenage pregnancies or running off with a man. Or how Pedro treated Tita, even though they were in love.
I'm not really sure, but a lot of little things bothered me and I would like more cultural understanding of Mexico and the ethos behind Esquivel before I make any real comments.

The dialogue was definitely lacking. This was a predominately tell, not show kind of book.

It was okay. I didn't really feel for any of the characters. The best part of the book was the incorporation of the recipes and the food.

2.5 stars because I thought it was a little better than okay. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
I am a big fan of magic realism so I was absolutely enthralled with this book of passion. What more perfect way to describe strong emotions than through food which stirs so much of our senses, fills us physically and emotionally and brings us together socially? Esquivel does a masterful job of using recipes to recount a tale of love and sorrow as the ingredients and feasts weave in and out of her stories. The exaggerated imagery is perfect to convey all those deep-seated emotions that we sometimes have such a hard time expressing.
A wonderful read which will resonate with me for a long time (and had me craving realy Mexican chocolate for days)! ( )
  Cecilturtle | Aug 25, 2014 |

Christensen, CarolTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Christensen, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pernu, SannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the table or to bed
You must come when you are bid.
Take care to chop the onion fine.
"The truth! The truth! Look, Tita, the simple truth is that the truth does not exist; it all depends on a person's point of view."
The original Spanish title was “Como agua para chocolate”.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038542017X, Paperback)

Earthy, magical, and utterly charming, this tale of family life in tum-of-the-century Mexico became a best-selling phenomenon with its winning blend of poignant romance and bittersweet wit.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:36 -0400)

With more than two million copies in print, this beloved novel has become a treasured part of America's literary memory. Now, for the first time, this "tall-tale, fairy-tale, soap opera romance, Mexican cookbook, and home-remedy handbook all rolled into one" (San Francisco Chronicle) is available in trade paper with the original art from the hardcover.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,334,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible