Like Water For Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Like Water For Chocolate (original 1989; edition 1994)

by Laura Esquivel

Member:MarilynD
Title:Like Water For Chocolate
Authors:Laura Esquivel
Info:Anchor (1994), Unknown Binding
Collections:no longer own, Read
Tags:Fiction, Cooking

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (1989)

1001 (49) 1001 books (52) 20th century (44) cooking (209) family (77) fantasy (52) fiction (1,145) food (254) historical fiction (33) Latin America (89) latin american literature (57) literature (92) love (108) love story (38) made into movie (31) magical realism (414) Mexican (110) mexican literature (79) Mexico (445) movie (34) novel (154) own (38) read (112) recipes (117) romance (250) Spanish (121) to-read (105) translation (42) unread (37) women (41)
    The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (krizia_lazaro)
    The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry (ReadHanded)
    ReadHanded: Food, recipes, and magic realism
    Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard by Kiran Desai (MaidMeri)
    MaidMeri: Desai's book is a much, much lighter read, but like Esquivel's, full of trivial yet delightful details and sub-plots. Other similarities include cooking, being repressed by one's family and eccentric, strong female characters.
    Aphrodite: A Memoir of the Senses by Isabel Allende (rhigueras)
    Chocolat by Joanne Harris (infiniteletters)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: A breathtakingly rich masterpiece following 7 generations of the Buendía family in a fictional Colombian town bursting with magical realism.
    The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender (DetailMuse)
    The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister (DetailMuse)
    Lovesick by Angeles Mastretta (chrisharpe)
    The Flamenco Academy: A Novel by Sarah Bird (persky)
    The River Midnight by Lilian Nattel (starfishian)
    Magic Spells by Christy Yorke (infiniteletters)
    The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea (starfishian)
    Eva Luna by Isabel Allende (Becchanalia)
    Of Bees and Mist by Erick Setiawan (Becchanalia)

English (149)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (4)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (166)
A beautiful story. I'm thinking of reading it a second time. ( )
  DougJ110 | Jul 12, 2014 |
I read this book many years ago... I like the story, is very well written, nothing exceptional, but is something you can read when you don´t have anything else to do, or in the summer next to the beach... The end was better than the rest of the book. ( )
  CaroPi | May 6, 2014 |
I really don't have words to describe this book. It is peculiar, it is a sort of magical realist book. Overall the entire book feels like a soap opera as so much tragedy and plot twists happen in a 200 and a bit pages. I feel like the entire story is more about passion and lust rather then true love. The cooking aspect was interesting but I did find the recipe parts dull and I did try and skip through them. I feel like their may have been symbolism and hidden meaning in this book which I just didn't get :/ I found the main character Tita a little bit annoying at times. Despite the negatives I still enjoyed - to an extent - this book and would give it a 3.5/5 stars (damn goodreads give us half stars already!!!). Saying this I am in no hurry to reread this book. ( )
  KatesReviews | Apr 24, 2014 |
This book was tons of fun. It's an easy read and quite fantastical. I enjoy how it's all bound together with traditional Mexican recipes. Well worth the read.

steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
One of the unexpected pleasures of learning a language is that it gives you an excuse to indulge yourself with a few hackneyed bestsellers of the sort that wouldn't normally be allowed to darken your shelves.

I had great fun reading this: it's pleasurable in a similar sort of way to Alexander McCall Smith's novels, with all the violence and passion made safe and comforting by the kitchen-table nostalgia. And very competently put together. I did have the feeling sometimes that the romantic storyline was only there to introduce an element of suspense into the cookery, which is clearly what the book is really about. Certainly, Esquival's treatment of the Mexican revolution must count as one of the most off-stage wars in literary history. But it's churlish to pick holes: it does what it does exceedingly well. ( )
  thorold | Mar 17, 2014 |

Laura Esquivelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christensen, CarolTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Christensen, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pernu, SannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the table or to bed. You must come when you are bid.
Take care to chop the onion fine.
"The truth! The truth! Look, Tita, the simple truth is that the truth does not exist; it all depends on a person's point of view."
The original Spanish title was “Como agua para chocolate”.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038542017X, Paperback)

Earthy, magical, and utterly charming, this tale of family life in tum-of-the-century Mexico became a best-selling phenomenon with its winning blend of poignant romance and bittersweet wit.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:36 -0400)

With more than two million copies in print, this beloved novel has become a treasured part of America's literary memory. Now, for the first time, this "tall-tale, fairy-tale, soap opera romance, Mexican cookbook, and home-remedy handbook all rolled into one" (San Francisco Chronicle) is available in trade paper with the original art from the hardcover.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible