Como agua para chocolate

Como agua para chocolate (1989)

9,520211451 (3.85)481
Member:Aloys
Title:Como agua para chocolate
Authors:
Info:n/a, Paperback
Tags:spanish, novel

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (1989)

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende (krizia_lazaro)
    Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard by Kiran Desai (MaidMeri)
    MaidMeri: Desai's book is a much, much lighter read, but like Esquivel's, full of trivial yet delightful details and sub-plots. Other similarities include cooking, being repressed by one's family and eccentric, strong female characters.
    The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry (ReadHanded)
    ReadHanded: Food, recipes, and magic realism
    Chocolat by Joanne Harris (infiniteletters)
    Aphrodite: A Memoir of the Senses by Isabel Allende (rhigueras)
    The Particular Sadness Of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender (DetailMuse)
    The Flamenco Academy: A Novel by Sarah Bird (persky)
    The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister (DetailMuse)
    The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea (starfishian)
    The River Midnight by Lilian Nattel (starfishian)
    Lovesick by Angeles Mastretta (chrisharpe)
    Magic Spells by Christy Yorke (infiniteletters)
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: A breathtakingly rich masterpiece following 7 generations of the Buendía family in a fictional Colombian town bursting with magical realism.
    Eva Luna by Isabel Allende (Becchanalia)
    Of Bees and Mist by Erick Setiawan (Becchanalia)

English (188)  Spanish (13)  Dutch (5)  Norwegian (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (210)
As I was reading the book, I kept thinking that I should have watched the movie first.... Now I know I will be disappointed, because the book is always better!

This book reminded me a lot of Joanne Harris. I loved it. It was a bit of a fisherman's tale... but it was written so charmingly that it added to the appeal of the story. ( )
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel; (4 1/2*)

What a wonderful, magical story. This is a tale of women in Mexico at the turn of the century and how they lived their lives. Tita is the strong central character. The story is told in 12 month chapters though time moves along much faster. I loved that each chapter began with an authentic recipe. The kitchen and food is central to this story. You get the details of the recipe and how to make it and it's woven perfectly into the story.
Tita is the youngest of three girls. They live on their ranch with their mother, Mama Elena. Tita is in love with Pedro, a local boy, but custom dictates that the youngest child is not allowed to marry and must care for her mother until the day her mother dies. 'Care for' really means being a slave to her and her abusive ways. Mama Elena is so cruel that she has Tita's sister marry Pedro and makes Tita cook the meal for their wedding. Tita can infuse her emotions into the food that she is cooking. As she cries and pours her tears of sorrow into the cake for her sister's wedding, something happens. Everyone at the wedding becomes sorrowful and is sick. Naturally she is accused of destroying the wedding. There are other tales of Tita's emotions being put into the food she makes. I especially loved the story of passion in the food that her older sister ate and the passion just exploded in her.

There is a great deal of magical realism in this story and I just loved it! I hope Esquivel has more out there of a similar nature. ( )
  rainpebble | Jun 2, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book, although in read it in one sitting, so I slogged a bit through the end. The magical realism was very accessible, which is a first for me because I'm usually not into that Gabriel Garcia Marquez stuff. This had just enough, though, on a level that I understood. Maybe because it was about food. It was a light read. Good for the beach, airport, doctor's office. Enjoyable. The recipes made me want Mexican food. ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |
The book was very different from the movie. The movie was better. The book didn't explore the characters or the fantastical parts of the story the way the film did, which is a switch. The movie tied the story together better as well. The book read sort of like a diary or notebook. ( )
  Lit_Cat | Dec 9, 2017 |

Pernu, SannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peteri, HarriëtTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Toelke, CathleenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the table or to bed
You must come when you are bid.
Take care to chop the onion fine.
"The truth! The truth! Look, Tita, the simple truth is that the truth does not exist; it all depends on a person's point of view."
The original Spanish title was “Como agua para chocolate”.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038542017X, Paperback)

Earthy, magical, and utterly charming, this tale of family life in tum-of-the-century Mexico became a best-selling phenomenon with its winning blend of poignant romance and bittersweet wit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:28 -0400)

With more than two million copies in print, this beloved novel has become a treasured part of America's literary memory. Now, for the first time, this "tall-tale, fairy-tale, soap opera romance, Mexican cookbook, and home-remedy handbook all rolled into one" (San Francisco Chronicle) is available in trade paper with the original art from the hardcover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,930,511 books! | Top bar: Always visible