Doing School: How We Are Creating a…

Doing School: How We Are Creating a Generation of Stressed-Out,… (edition 2003)

by Ms. Denise Clark Pope

Member:applebook1
Title:Doing School: How We Are Creating a Generation of Stressed-Out, Materialistic, and Miseducated Students
Authors:Ms. Denise Clark Pope
Info:Yale University Press (2003), Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2

Doing School: How We Are Creating a Generation of Stressed-Out, Materialistic, and Miseducated Students by Denise Clark Pope

This book is incredibly realistic - anyone who tries to argue that parts of it were staged for the author's benefit hasn't spent any time in an American public school in the past fifteen years. Students like this go sleepless in HS halls every day. They have so much misplaced motivation and while I can only commend them for their accomplishments, I wish they had spent more time on themselves during the process of finding the perfect university. ( )
  MollyBethStrijkan | Jan 8, 2008 |
I found this book very sad because it was so real. I hope we can help students break away from the grind. ( )
  snobles | Sep 30, 2007 |

A revealing, and troubling, view of today's American high school students and the ways they pursue high grades and success. Veteran teacher Denise Pope follows five highly regarded students through a school year and discovers that these young people believe getting ahead requires manipulating the system, scheming, lying and cheating.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:23 -0400)

Denise Pope, veteran teacher and curriculum expert, follows five motivated and successful students through a school year, closely shadowing them and engaging them in lengthy reflections on their school experiences. What emerges is a double-sided picture of school success. On the one hand, these students work hard in school, participate in extracurricular activities, serve their communities, earn awards and honors, and appear to uphold school values. But on the other hand, they feel that in order to get ahead they must compromise their values and manipulate the system by scheming, lying, and cheating. In short, they "do school"--that is, they are not really engaged with learning nor can they commit to such values as integrity and community. The words and actions of these five students-- two boys and three girls from diverse ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds-- underscore the frustrations of being caught in a "grade trap" that pins future success to high grades and test scores. Their stories raise critical questions that are too important for parents, educators, and community leaders to ignore. Are schools cultivating an environment that promotes intellectual curiosity, cooperation, and integrity? Or are they fostering anxiety, deception, and hostility? Do today's schools inadvertently impede the very values they claim to embrace? Is the "success" that current assessment practices measure the kind of success we want for our children?… (more)

Yale University Press

2 editions of this book were published by Yale University Press.

Editions: 0300098332, 0300090137

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,445,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible