Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite

Lost Souls (original 1992; edition 2002)

by Poppy Z. Brite

Member:Lynnemurray
Title:Lost Souls
Authors:Poppy Z. Brite
Info:Gauntlet Press (2002), Hardcover, 272 pages

Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite (1992)

English (30)  German (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (33)
Is it horror or romance? But wait, it's both!

It isn't just sex in this book, but an exploration of how people fall in love, how they stay in love, how they deal with each others' flaws. Being a horror novel (mostly), though, it often wanders into the darker parts of love, abuse, and co-dependency, and mostly takes on the attitude "it's better to die than be alone." Ahhhh...no. Sometimes it's better to be alone.

I liked it, although not as much as Drawing Blood. ( )
1 vote dknippling | Dec 5, 2014 |
I read this book years ago (like '92) and it still resonates with me today. When I read it I found it such an eye opening book. Nothing. I had dreams about green eyes for years. Part of me would like to revisit the characters, but I don't want to ruin the emotional ties this book has for me. I'm sure that my older view point would see the flaws and cut the ties. ( )
1 vote Penny01 | Feb 1, 2014 |
My absolute favorite book of ALL time. ( )
  esapuridis | Nov 12, 2013 |
Nothing wrong with the writing in this one, but I think I would have enjoyed it more had I read it when I was much younger. ( )
  stacy_chambers | Aug 22, 2013 |
Oh, Lost Souls. What can I say about you?

I loved this book when I was in high school. I remembered it as being voluptuous, edgy, sexy and good-trashy. I remembered thinking Poppy Z. Brite "got it", being impressed that there was an author who could write about goths, who clearly *understood*. And I remember being enthralled by her descriptions of New Orleans.

Reading it now, I couldn't cringe harder for my teenage self. And I don't think I ever get to make fun of the Twilight series again.

Trashy? Yes. Good? Not so much.

About three-quarters of the way through the book, I tried to figure out whether I was rooting for the fucked-up Hero With A Heart Of Gold who had drunkenly raped his girlfriend (who he genuinely loved, though), or the ridiculously beautiful vampire who had bewitched the same girl and fucked her on a whim, then discarded her (leaving her pregnant with his horrible vampire baby, basically a death sentence).

Then I gave up trying to decide whose side I was on.

And that's not even getting into the incest. And the fact that every girl in the story gets enthralled and knocked up with a vampire baby -- that will either KILL HER HORRIBLY in being born, or kill her in being aborted.

I got excited when a vampire woman showed up in the story -- though she was only being talked about as part of someone's history, not an actual character -- but then it turned out that, despite abstaining from PIV sex with her lovers because she was too afraid of ending up preggo with a killer vampire fetus (which, to be fair, SUPER HORRIFYING) -- she GOT RAPED BY ONE OF HER INTENDED VICTIMS, some teenage mortal, apparently because she had been drinking(???), and then died I guess trying to give herself an abortion(?).

So yeah, that's nice.

I mean basically, this book is all teenage angst and ZOMG SUPER SHOCKING THINGS and "drinking Chartreuse all the time and wearing lots of eyeliner is super glamorous" and descriptions of sexual acts that seemed thrillingly deviant when I was a teenager and now just read as kind of gross (like, do we really need to keep talking about spit?).

But the book meant a lot to me at the time, and the characters have stuck with me somehow, even after all these years. Especially Ghost. So you get two stars, Lost Souls, even though you don't really deserve them.

And my poor, tattered copy of this book, the cover held on with electrical tape, is getting consigned to Goodwill, lest I make the mistake of trying to read it as an adult again. Maybe some other teenage lost soul will pick it up instead of Twilight.

(Side note: it's interesting to me that I can still read, and enjoy, [b:Interview With the Vampire|43763|Interview With the Vampire (Vampire Chronicles, #1)|Anne Rice|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1218672404s/43763.jpg|873132], but not Poppy Z. Brite.) ( )
6 vote wirehead | Jul 9, 2013 |
For Michael Spencer and Monica Kendrick, the best magicians I know
The night wind felt wonderful in Steve's hair.

Abandoned as an infant, Nothing reads his true name on the handwritten note that was pinned to his baby blanket eighteen years earlier, and discovers that he is the son of a vampire.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,462,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible