Night Shift by Stephen King

Night Shift (original 1978; edition 1993)

by Stephen King

Member:mekela05
Title:Night Shift
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Doubleday (1993), Hardcover, 368 pages

Night Shift by Stephen King (1978)

The Bachman Books by Stephen King (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Another collection of King's early fiction where the rough edges are still intact.
    Deathbird Stories by Harlan Ellison (artturnerjr)
    Blue World by Robert McCammon (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Mccammon's Short stories are very reminiscent of this collection of early King stories

English (82)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (89)
My favorite Stephen King is the one who writes about the secret hearts of people: Shawshank, Green Mile, The Body, The Stand. I'm not as chuffed with Stephen King the weird horror writer. This collection had a good mix of both types of stories and while there were a few repetitions on a given theme most of the stories were solid. For me, highlights included Strawberry Spring, I Know What You Need, The Man Who Loved Flowers, Last Rung on the Ladder, and Woman in the Room. I Am the Doorway and The Ledge were disappointing, but still had interesting premises.

I prefer King's novel/las to his short stories, but overall this is still a solid collection. ( )
  mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |
It’s certainly better than “Just After Sunset”. I liked the majority of the stories and was able to skip the bad ones. But those weren’t many (mostly the Salem’s Lot tie-ins) Could be useful in a study of the short story, except that it’s from 1960-1970s sensibilities, so I don’t know how useful it is for learning how to break in now. ( )
  theWallflower | Jan 30, 2019 |
For me, this collection of early King stories doesn't hold up as well as the stories in Skeleton Crew. A lot of these stories are overly familiar from their movie adaptations and seem gimmicky now. There are a few that bear up to rereading, though, notably, "I Am the Doorway" and "I Know What You Need." I also enjoyed "Night Surf," a sort-of forerunner to The Stand, which is one of my all-time favorite King novels. ( )
  sturlington | Aug 30, 2018 |
i got just what i expected from this: an introduction to stephen king's works through early, rough short stories.
i also got what i tentatively hoped for: some incredible gems and a want for more.

jerusalem's lot ★★★★✩
trucks ★★✩✩✩
sometimes they come back ★★★★★
strawberry sping ★★★✩✩
the ledge ★★✩✩✩
the lawnmower man: ZERO. this obscenity should not exist. i'm offended i had to read this.
quitters, inc. ★★★✩✩
i know what you need ★★★★★
children of the corn ★★✩✩✩
the last rung on the ladder ★★★★✩
the man who loved flowers ★★★★✩
one for the road ★★★★✩
the woman in the room ★★★✩✩

average: 3.1 ( )
  nimbon | Jul 24, 2018 |
Nightshift is a collection of 20 short stories ranging from the bizarre and the thought provoking, to the down right macabre. Featuring such classics as Children of the Corn and Salem's Lot, these stories have been not only read, but turn into movies, become a staple in horror classics for decades, and it's easy to see why. It's no doubt that King is a skilled writer, and I've devoured dozens of his books. I'm not sure why I always shy away from short stories when choosing my next read, but coming across a gem like Nightshift, reminds me all over again why I need to give them a chance. Quick glimpses into horror and dystonia, Kings stories keep my synapses firing long after I finish. I was quickly enraptured, "just one more story", until I found myself curled up under the blanket in an attempt not to wake my husband as I read feverishly into the night. Then subsequently scared to stop reading for fear of every creak of the house settling, or groan of wind at the window. How King can make even a laundry machine press terrifying is beyond me, but he did. Although I enjoyed them all, a few of my favorites include Graveyard Shift (ROUS' anyone?!- and if you don't get that reference we can't be friends), The Boogeyman (thanks for opening up that fear again King), and Quitters Inc. (I will NEVER pick up a cigarette I swear!)

If you are in the mood for spine tingling horror and creepy crawlies, this is definitely your next read.

Just make sure to read it with the light on.... and don't go accidentally summoning any demons. ( )
1 vote courtneygiraldo | Feb 1, 2018 |

Kalvas, ReijoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MacDonald, John DIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcellino, FredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murail, LorrisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Let's talk, you and I. Let's talk about fear.
So nice!
ISBN 0373588585 is for Night Shift by Nora Roberts; large print edition.

Short story collection containing the following stories:

Introduction by John D. MacDonald
The Last Rung on the Ladder
The Man Who Loved Flowers
One for the Road
The Woman in the Room

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451170113, Mass Market Paperback)

From the depths of darkness, where hideous rats defend their empire, to dizzying heights, where a beautiful girl hangs by a hair above a hellish fate, this chilling collection of twenty short stories will plunge readers into the subterranean labyrinth of the most spine-tingling, eerie imagination of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:44 -0400)

"Nineteen of [King's] most unsettling short pieces: bizarre tales of dark doings and unthinkable acts from the twilight regions where horror and madness take on eerie, unearthly forms, where noises in the walls and shadows by the bed are always signs of something dreadful on the prowl"--Dust flap.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,377,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible