Night Shift by Stephen King

Night Shift (original 1978; edition 1993)

by Stephen King

Title:Night Shift
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Doubleday (1993), Edition: Reissue, Hardcover, 368 pages

Night Shift by Stephen King (1978)

The Bachman Books by Stephen King (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Another collection of King's early fiction where the rough edges are still intact.
    Deathbird Stories by Harlan Ellison (artturnerjr)
    Blue World by Robert McCammon (GWoloszczuk)
    GWoloszczuk: Mccammon's Short stories are very reminiscent of this collection of early King stories
    Skeleton Crew by Stephen King (sturlington)

English (68)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (74)
Jerusalem's Lot **** Epistolic tale about an ancient cult in an abandoned town. Worthy of Lovecraft.
Graveyard Shift *** Big rats mutating under an old mill. Messy.
Night Surf ** Another take on the world of The Stand. This one suffers a common issue amongst short stories, it feels like just a chapter from a longer tale.
I Am the Doorway **** Now here's a short story that works. Creepy as hell. Love how SK plays around so easily with the timeline.
The Mangler ***1/2 Yes, the ending is silly, but the coincidences adding up to the perfect recipe for a possession are nicely done.
The Boogeyman ***1/2 Pixar did it better. "His eyes held all the miserable secrets of whiskey" is a great line, though.
Grey Matter **** Silly story about some very bad beer. Really shows off SK's natural ability with dialog and character.
Battleground ****1/2 Another one the guys at Pixar must have read. I find myself rooting for the Green Army Men in this one.
Trucks ****1/2 Okay, first Monsters Inc., then Toy Story and now Cars. Getting kinda peculiar. "There was no one in the trucks", what a haunting line.
Sometimes They Come Back *** I like the middle section but the whole thing is too predictable.
Strawberry Spring ***** A perfect short story. Very atmospheric, and the title doesn't give the ending away. "And oh dear God, I think so too." packs a wallop.
The Ledge **** Terrific fear-of-heights story with a nice turning of the tables at the end. Characters are way too cardboard though.
The Lawnmower Man ** "That was when Harold Parkette leaned out the screen door and vomited into the zinnias." Just silly.
Quitters Inc. ****1/2 Another terrific short story. Has a beginning, a middle, an end, and makes you care about what happens to the characters.
I Know What You Need ***1/2 Kinda cool but I didn't care for the ending. Don't want to spoil anything, though.
Children of the Corn **** Never saw the movie, wonder how they turned this little story into a feature film. Reminiscent of an old Star Trek episode and Logan's Run.
The Last Rung of the Ladder **** Tragically sad tale about siblings drifting apart through the years. We'd all like one more afternoon in the barn.
The Man Who Loved Flowers ***** Can SK do irony? You bet he can. Some short story gold right here.
One For the Road **** Another very good one, and ties in nicely with Salem's Lot.
The Woman in the Room * Sorry, this one does for me. And once again, SK gets his pharmaceutical facts wrong. Can't tell his grains from his milligrams. Drive me crazy. ( )
  5hrdrive | Oct 6, 2015 |
There was one bit in Jerusalem's Lot where it's bad weather outside but nice in the house- exactly the conditions under which I was reading and I have to admit I had to pull my feet back onto the bed so they wouldn't be grabbed by whatever likes underneath.

My favourite though is Quitters, Inc. ( )
  Lukerik | Oct 1, 2015 |
I reread this because I heard a bunch of references recently to "Children of the Corn" and as long as I was rereading *that*, I figured I'd go all the way.

This collection really stands the test of time. "Children of the Corn" is (still) brilliant, but I think my favorite is (still) "Quitters, Inc."

What I really enjoyed was reading this as an adult and catching the various literary references and influences. Now that I've read plenty of H.P. Lovecraft, I can see that King was practically channeling him. But there are other, more surprising influences. If you've read "David Copperfield," read "The Last Rung On The Ladder" with that in mind -- the story is basically a rewrite of one aspect of D.C.

And there was some unexpected humor. "Sometimes They Come Back" is still a wrenching and terrifying story. But I love the fact that the main character fends off a supernatural attack with the help of a book called "Raising Demons." Sounds scary. But that's the title of one of Shirley Jackson's hilariously funny books about her family. And King was almost as heavily influenced by Jackson as he was by Lovecraft.

This book used to scare the bejabbers out of me. Now it just gives me a pleasant case of the shivers. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
Found some exceptionally good stories in this collection. Some of the stories later on ended up as movies from this book as well, and I have to say the original story of 'Children of the Corn' is much much more interesting. I've not read much of King, I must admit. But every time I read something of his, I realize what a good story-teller he is. This collection has science fiction to ghost stories, supernatural to plain human criminal or social mind. His ability to keep the reader engaged throughout the flow of each individual story seemed unique to me. I took my time finishing the book, reading one story at a time. A very Good read indeed. ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
Uneven, but there's some good stuff in here, particularly toward the end of the book - "The Lawnmower Man," "Children of the Corn," "The Woman in the Room" especially. I also liked "The Boogeyman" and "The Ledge," although they were a little too tidy for my tastes. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Jul 6, 2015 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Murail, LorrisTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Halvorsen, Thor DagTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heidkamp, BarbaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Herrmann, IngridTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kalvas, ReijoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
MacDonald, John DIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Let's talk, you and I. Let's talk about fear.
So nice!
ISBN 0373588585 is for Night Shift by Nora Roberts; large print edition.

Short story collection containing the following stories:

Introduction by John D. MacDonald
The Last Rung on the Ladder
The Man Who Loved Flowers
One for the Road
The Woman in the Room

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451170113, Mass Market Paperback)

From the depths of darkness, where hideous rats defend their empire, to dizzying heights, where a beautiful girl hangs by a hair above a hellish fate, this chilling collection of twenty short stories will plunge readers into the subterranean labyrinth of the most spine-tingling, eerie imagination of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:44 -0400)

"Nineteen of [King's] most unsettling short pieces: bizarre tales of dark doings and unthinkable acts from the twilight regions where horror and madness take on eerie, unearthly forms, where noises in the walls and shadows by the bed are always signs of something dreadful on the prowl"--Dust flap.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible