dismiss

What-the-Dickens : The Story of a Rogue…

What-the-Dickens : The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairy (2007)

by Gregory Maguire (Author)

As a terrible storm rages, ten-year-old Dinah and her brother and sister listen to their cousin Gage's tale of a newly-hatched, orphaned, skibberee, or tooth fairy, called What-the-Dickens, who hopes to find a home among the skibbereen tribe, if only he can stay out of trouble.
Member:flying_monkeys
Title:What-the-Dickens : The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairy
Authors:Gregory Maguire (Author)
Info:Cambridge, Mass. : Candlewick Press, 2008, c2007.
Collections:Read, Donated
Rating:**1/2
Tags:retelling, fairy tales, challenge into the forest, 2017

What-The-Dickens by Gregory Maguire (2007)

I enjoyed this tale within a tale about a tooth fairy name "What the Dickens?". It had a good moral about believing in something, even if they are different from what others believe, when things are toughest. In one word, hope. Never lose it and keep your childlike ability to accept and believe in the impossible. Definitely a fun one to read to kids. ( )
  tamara.fowler23 | Mar 30, 2020 |
I tried and finished, this was very child- like and not what I expected from the author of the fantastic "Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West". The was too much personification , I was lost for a moment there :/ ( )
  MrNattania72 | Mar 17, 2020 |
I enjoyed the descriptions of a creature with no known history and how they deduce what is going on. The two stories going back and forth jumped a bit, but I was happy the story ended well. With the title "What the Dickens" I was expecting a more holiday story instead of Tooth Fairy but there was a happy ending. I have always enjoyed the re-imagining of fairy tales that the author does, so overall was pleased. ( )
  Val_Reads | Dec 25, 2019 |
This is a book that doesn't know what it wants to be - early stage of a post apocalyptic, or a cutsie fantasy involving fairy. The setting really bothered me - we have three children left with their older adult cousin while something bad is happening outside. As food dwindles, Gage needs to distract the children from the growing disaster, so he tells them a story about the Tooth Fairies.

I think my biggest issue is with the adults in this story - we find out eventually a hurricane has hit, and one of the parent's is having an emergency due to diabetes - why not bring the whole family - the hurricane would have been forecasted for a few days before hitting. Second is the police. Seriously - just leaving a family alone with no food is okay? I get that one of the kids ran away so they wouldn't be forced to leave, but the police should have sent someone else.

As with any children's book - I ask if I would have liked it as a child - and I don't think so. There are some religious aspects that I would have rolled my eyes at, and I think I would have been disappointed that the world wasn't ending, just a hurricane. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Oct 26, 2019 |
Really cute book. ( )
  Katie80 | Oct 8, 2018 |
"A winner for Maguire's fans of all ages."
added by Awesomeness1 | editKirkus Reviews

"This story contains a certain creepiness, an element that seems to thrill."
added by Awesomeness1 | editLos Angeles Times

"Gregory Maguire does for the dark and stormy night what he did for the witches in WICKED."
added by Awesomeness1 | editThe New York Times Book Review

It is equal to living in a tragic land
To live in a tragic time.
- Wallace Stevens, "Dry Loaf"

We live in the most brightly illuminated of dark ages.
- Paul Heins, in conversation
For the tempest-tossed: past, present, and to come
By evening, when the winds rose yet again, the power began to stutter at half-strength, and the sirens to fail.

AR 5.0, 9 Pts.

Candlewick Press

3 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763629618, 0763641472, 0763643076

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,255,337 books! | Top bar: Always visible