I Heard Said the Bird by Polly Berrien…

I Heard Said the Bird

by Polly Berrien Berends

464None22,340 (3.8)None

This book was a cute and suspenseful rhyming book. It is all about what the bird heard about the "new one" coming to the barn, and all the animals were trying to figure it out, along with the readers! ( )
  Micaela.Craig | Aug 25, 2013 |
I Heard said the bird, is about a new arrival on the farm. But the animals aren't sure what kind of baby it is. I would use this with PK-K. I would use this if I knew a child was going to have a new baby at home. Children could also match baby animals to their parents.
  1212bec | Dec 10, 2012 |
I shared this book with my Pre-k/K class that I am observing. They loved the predictable and rhyming text as well as the illustrations. In advance I made picture cards of the animals in the story and passed them out to the children. We reread the story and the children got to participate repeating their character's lines. We discussed habitat, sequence, and rhyme.
  gjchauvin504 | Oct 28, 2012 |
"I Heard Said the Bird" is about the farm animals trying to figure out who the "New One" is on the farm. After asking every animal there the little boy shows them that the new one is his little baby brother.

I like this book because of the bouncy dialogue. The pictures are so pretty and gives it more personality. I think the kids from age 3-5 would really like this book.

I would use this book to help kids to learn to let new members in their life.
  samitay89 | Sep 20, 2009 |
this book is a well illustrated picture book. it is about a bird who heard that a baby is coming, but to who? after he asks all the barnyard animals, they find out that it is a human baby, and the big brother shows the animal the "new one".

i thought the book kind of droned a little. however, it is meant for younger readers, and with its simple rhetoric, it would be simple to read. the pictures were beautiful watercolor, and im personally drawn to nice artwork like this. the plot was simple, and to the point.

this book could be used as an intro into family matters such as a new entry to the family. Also, it could be used as material to discuss how animals have bebies, such as litters, eggs, etc. ( )
  creeh | Aug 31, 2009 |

Polly Berrien Berendsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sneed, BradIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"I heard," said the bird, "that there's a NEW ONE coming." The barnyard is bustling with the news. But what is the "new one" going to be? Is it a duckling? Or a piglet? Rhyming text and lively pictures combine to create a charming barnyard tale with a gentle surprise at the end. "This upbeat book is perfect for children anticipating the birth of a 'new one' in their own homes."-- Publishers Weekly

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:00 -0400)

The animals in the barnyard discuss the New One that is coming and eventually discover that there is a new baby in the house.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,499,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible