The Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean…

The Darkest Evening of the Year (2007)

by Dean Koontz

(6) 2008 (18) Adult Fiction (7) animal rescue (7) audiobook (13) child abuse (9) dean koontz (47) dog (6) dogs (42) ebook (11) fantasy (7) fiction (130) First Edition (7) golden retriever (9) golden retrievers (22) hardcover (13) horror (57) murder (10) mystery (32) novel (11) own (8) paperback (6) paranormal (11) read (23) read in 2008 (9) supernatural (25) suspense (70) thriller (78) to-read (23) unread (7)

A preternatural force melds the past with the present, heralding a cascade of events which begin as seemingly unrelated streams of occurrences, culminating in a darkly woven tale of revenge, redemption and restoration. ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
I probably should have realized that this novel wouldn’t work for me when I saw a dog on the cover. One of the most annoying aspects of Dean Koontz novels is this infatuation he has with dogs, how he gives them human attributes, how he holds them on pedestals for above his human characters. Predictably, this novel didn’t work for me in any way shape or form and is one of Koontz’s worst novels, and there have been a few stinkers he’s put out. The two protagonists in this novel start off by saving a Golden Retriever during a violent family intervention. Of course, they don’t seem to much care about the people involved, but why save a person when you could save a dog.

The book is filled with melodrama with little to no believability in any aspect of it. The plot is ludicrous, and the writing is far from being Dean Koontz’s best work. When he is on, Dean Koontz is great. He has produced some of the best novels I’ve ever read. Unfortunately, it seems that he is just as likely to put out a weak effort, like this novel. Unless you’re a dog lover, I would suggest skipping this novel. Try out Lightning instead.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | May 26, 2014 |
Not so much. Typical "new" Dean Koontz. Lots of philosophy. ( )
  lesmel | Jun 3, 2013 |
I am a huge Koontz fan so I have to judge him a little harshly on this book. It was an ok book, I had no problem breezing right through it, but I just thought it was not up to his usual standards. I even wondered at times if he was the actual writer because it read so differently from his other novels.
  icedream | May 16, 2013 |
Well, this did not turn out to be the page turner I hoped for. The plot depends on two protagonists who are barely sketched in, two way over the top villains, a child in jeopardy (hate that device), and a dog temporarily inhabited by Unearthly Power to overcome Evil. The dog was easily the most well developed character, if not the most believable...As much as I love my furbabies, I can't recommend this. For a truly wonderful, earlier Koontz take on dogs vs. Evil, try "Watchers." ( )
  diva0301 | Apr 24, 2013 |
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
--Robert Frost, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
To Gerda, who will one day be greeted jubilantly in the next life by the golden daughter whom she loved so well and with such selfless tenderness in this world. And to Father Jerome Molokie, for his many kindnesses, for his good cheer, for his friendship, and for his inspiring devotion to what is first, true, and infinite.
Behind the wheel of the Ford Expedition, Amy Redwing drove as if she were immortal and therefore safe at any speed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553804820, Hardcover)

Amazon.com Exclusive: The Darkest Ice Cream of the Year by Dean Koontz I once said writing a novel is sometimes like making love and sometimes like having a tooth pulled--and sometimes like making love while having a tooth pulled. I arrived at one of those joyful yet excruciating moments while working on The Darkest Evening of the Year. Because I am obsessive about the revision of each page--the word fussbudget is embarrassingly apt when I am brooding over whether to use a comma or a semicolon--I have more than once held on to a manuscript until the drop-dead date for delivery. When that date rolled around for this book, I had written everything, but I was unwilling to send all of it to my editor. I withheld the last fifty pages for another four days, causing a quiet panic in those at my publishing house who are responsible for meeting production deadlines. Although the book was done, I felt that something was wrong with Chapter 63. The action worked, the characters were in character, the mood was sustained...but something felt wrong with it, some fine point of the villain's motivation. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, I worked 12-hour days, trying to identify the source of my doubt, but couldn't specify it to my satisfaction. Nothing like this had ever happened to me. Previously, my worst struggles with a story had come in the first two-thirds, and the final third had been, if not a sweet swift toboggan run, at least a sleigh ride. Sunday, I got up at 6:00 and set to work, revising, looking for the thorn I could feel but couldn't see--and ended up working 22 hours, eating at my desk, before tumbling to the problem at 4:00 a.m. Monday morning. "Eureka!" I cried, but I was so weary and my voice was so weak that my shout of jubilation came out as a squeak. The revisions required to Chapter 63 were minor, but after working 58 hours in four days, after having passed a night without sleep, I was unable to focus sharply enough to get them done in the little time that remained before the production schedule would be derailed. In desperation, I turned to that source of creative energy and literary enlightenment that is without equal: ice cream. I shuffled to the kitchen and snared a Dreyer's Slow-Churned Vanilla Almond Crunch bar from the freezer. I devoured this sweet-and-creamy muse, and felt the scales lift from my eyes; inspiration sparkled between my ears. I finished the revisions and e-mailed the final version of Chapter 63 to my editor with not a minute to spare. Although the American Heart Association will take issue with me, my advice to young writers stuck on a scene is to stop worrying about your arteries and give your wheel-spinning imagination what it needs to find traction: a tasty shot of fat and sugar. --Dean Koontz, October 2007

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:33 -0400)

Amy Redwing has dedicated her life to the southern California organization she founded to rescue abandoned and endangered golden retrievers. No one is surprised when Amy risks her life to save Nickie, nor when she takes the female golden into her home. The bond between Amy and Nickie is immediate and uncanny. Even her two other goldens, Fred and Ethel, recognize Nickie as special, a natural alpha. But the instant joy Nickie brings is shadowed by a series of eerie, ominous, and invasive incidents.--From publisher's description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible