The darkest evening of the year by Dean R.…

The darkest evening of the year (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Dean R. Koontz

Member:AmizingBookworm
Title:The darkest evening of the year
Authors:Dean R. Koontz
Info:New York : Bantam Books, c2007.

The Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean Koontz (2007)

Recently added byrena75, Ozone613, wphilbrook, KristinaSimon, private library, texawaiian

This is my literary "slumming it". I'd never ACTUALLY read this, but as an audio book while I'm waiting for another book to become available, I give myself a free pass. Anything is better than the endless commercials & blabbering on the radio.
Now about the book: fairly predictable, a little cheesy at times. On the plus side: dogs! ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
It was good, but it took a very long time for all the stories to tie together. I really didn't like the ending either. I read this because I like the Odd Thomas series so much. This was not nearly as good as the Odd Thomas books. ( )
  Lisa5127 | Jun 2, 2018 |
I loved this book - was listening to it in the car, and kept thinking up errands to run to her more sooner. I had never read Dean Koontz, just knew he wrote mysteries and is very popular. I certainly wasn't expecting the spiritual aspect I found in this book. I hear the term Magical Realism and resisted reading books associated with it because I don't usually enjoy fantasy. But as used in this novel, I really liked it. It took some getting used to - it is almost like a modern morality play. - all good vs. evil, with dogs standing with the good guys, along with angels and God too. Really, it is about spiritual warfare. The villains in this book were beyond mortally nasty, and the good guys, including the dogs, were luminous. Not your typical mystery! The light shines in the darkness and the darkness cannot overcome it...spelled out! I can see why a lot of people would be put off by it, but a lot of others will love it. ( )
  MarthaHuntley | Jan 24, 2018 |
Koontz has been on a bit of a career resurrection ever since Odd Thomas, but this one was a bump in the road. Not one of his better works, but not too bad UNTIL the ending. Wow. The ending totally sucked ass and left me with a bad taste. ( )
  writertomg | Sep 6, 2017 |
This one goes in the category of DNF (Did not finish). I do this when the audio sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher...."bwaa...bwaaa. bwaaaa". It just did not click in my head. ( )
  buffalogr | May 11, 2017 |
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
--Robert Frost, Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
To Gerda, who will one day be greeted jubilantly in the next life by the golden daughter whom she loved so well and with such selfless tenderness in this world. And to Father Jerome Molokie, for his many kindnesses, for his good cheer, for his friendship, and for his inspiring devotion to what is first, true, and infinite.
Behind the wheel of the Ford Expedition, Amy Redwing drove as if she were immortal and therefore safe at any speed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553804820, Hardcover)

Amazon.com Exclusive:
The Darkest Ice Cream of the Year by Dean Koontz

I once said writing a novel is sometimes like making love and sometimes like having a tooth pulled--and sometimes like making love while having a tooth pulled. I arrived at one of those joyful yet excruciating moments while working on The Darkest Evening of the Year.

Because I am obsessive about the revision of each page--the word fussbudget is embarrassingly apt when I am brooding over whether to use a comma or a semicolon--I have more than once held on to a manuscript until the drop-dead date for delivery. When that date rolled around for this book, I had written everything, but I was unwilling to send all of it to my editor. I withheld the last fifty pages for another four days, causing a quiet panic in those at my publishing house who are responsible for meeting production deadlines.

Although the book was done, I felt that something was wrong with Chapter 63. The action worked, the characters were in character, the mood was sustained...but something felt wrong with it, some fine point of the villain's motivation. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, I worked 12-hour days, trying to identify the source of my doubt, but couldn't specify it to my satisfaction.

Nothing like this had ever happened to me. Previously, my worst struggles with a story had come in the first two-thirds, and the final third had been, if not a sweet swift toboggan run, at least a sleigh ride.

Sunday, I got up at 6:00 and set to work, revising, looking for the thorn I could feel but couldn't see--and ended up working 22 hours, eating at my desk, before tumbling to the problem at 4:00 a.m. Monday morning. "Eureka!" I cried, but I was so weary and my voice was so weak that my shout of jubilation came out as a squeak.

The revisions required to Chapter 63 were minor, but after working 58 hours in four days, after having passed a night without sleep, I was unable to focus sharply enough to get them done in the little time that remained before the production schedule would be derailed. In desperation, I turned to that source of creative energy and literary enlightenment that is without equal: ice cream.

I shuffled to the kitchen and snared a Dreyer's Slow-Churned Vanilla Almond Crunch bar from the freezer. I devoured this sweet-and-creamy muse, and felt the scales lift from my eyes; inspiration sparkled between my ears. I finished the revisions and e-mailed the final version of Chapter 63 to my editor with not a minute to spare. Although the American Heart Association will take issue with me, my advice to young writers stuck on a scene is to stop worrying about your arteries and give your wheel-spinning imagination what it needs to find traction: a tasty shot of fat and sugar.

--Dean Koontz, October 2007

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:21 -0400)

Amy Redwing has dedicated her life to the southern California organization she founded to rescue abandoned and endangered golden retrievers. No one is surprised when Amy risks her life to save Nickie, nor when she takes the female golden into her home. The bond between Amy and Nickie is immediate and uncanny. Even her two other goldens, Fred and Ethel, recognize Nickie as special, a natural alpha. But the instant joy Nickie brings is shadowed by a series of eerie, ominous, and invasive incidents.--From publisher's description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,801,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible