STARGATE SG-1: Roswell by Sonny Whitelaw

STARGATE SG-1: Roswell (edition 2011)

by Sonny Whitelaw, Jennifer Fallon

Collections:Your library, Science Fiction, Suspense
Rating:***
Tags:Science Fiction, Suspense, SG-1, Stargate

Stargate SG-1: Roswell by Sonny Whitelaw

I was a little weird I wouldn't like the book when I first started. I've always been less interested in Col. Mitchell's time at the head of the team, and the book start off focused on him.

Plus . . . you are fighting a war, many of your people have been butchered, slaughtered and . . . you take every opportunity possible not actually hit your attackers with your weapons while desperately trying to get to the Stargate, and get home. Meanwhile you care a weapon that can stun people. Which you don't use. Because . . . . reasons.

If I hadn't recalled that the book was supposed to have something to do with Time Travel and the like, I probably would have tossed the book before I even began. But that awkward opening was quickly gotten passed and the book ended up being quite enjoyable. ( )
  Lexxi | Apr 17, 2015 |
A media tie-in novel of my favorite show, and it involves the Roswell Conspiracy? I had to check it out. Unfortunately for me, this line is published by UK publisher Fandemonium, and the only places I can find them are on Amazon and occasionally at the dollar store. But I digress...

Roswell begins with SG-1, sans Vala, fleeing the Ori and disappearing through the Gate. General Jack O'Neil is covering the base while Landry is out on leave. When they get a visit from a future Samantha Carter, she informs present Jack that his SG-1 team is stranded in the past. Jack and Vala leave in a puddle jumper to go back in time and rescue the team. But complications arise which end up altering the timeline.

My one complaint is that all the jumping around in time was a bit confusing, especially how they went about it. But then, I usually tune-out the technical jargon when watching the show anyway. So I just skimmed the time travel use of the Stargate sections of the book.

But the characters were right on. Vala was her normal chipper and witty self. She has quickly become a favorite character of mine. The dialog was well-written, and it's obvious that a lot of research went into the making of this book. Humor is laced throughout the story, with plenty of action and suspense. This would have made a great episode. But I'm glad the show is at least living on through the novels, while we wait for the upcoming direct-to-dvd movies.

Whitelaw and Fallon did a wonderful job of co-writing this short novel. I'll be interested in reading more of both of their work. ( )
  scifichick | Apr 3, 2008 |

Sonny Whitelawprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fallon, JenniferAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Science fiction. When a Stargate malfunction throws Colonel Cameron Mitchell, Dr. Daniel Jackson, and Colonel Sam Carter back in time, they only have minutes to live. But their rescue, by an unlikely duo - General Jack O'Neill and Vala Mal Doran - is only the beginning of their problems.… (more)

Sonny Whitelaw is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,090,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible