The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury

The Halloween Tree (original 1972; edition 2001)

by Ray Bradbury, Joseph Mugnaini (Illustrator)

Member:Jessiqa
Title:The Halloween Tree
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Other authors:Joseph Mugnaini (Illustrator)
Info:Yearling (2001), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:read, children's

The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury (1972)

English (36)  Spanish (1)  All languages (37)
The Halloween Tree, by Ray Bradbury, is to Halloween what Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol is to Christmas. If the novella is not required reading, it should be. This short book proves that Halloween is so much more than a holiday created by candy bar companies, and is most certainly not a satanic celebration. From the tombs of Egypt to the underworld of Mexico during Dia de Los Muertos, Bradbury whisks us away on an autumnal wind. The journey is poignant and purposeful. What exactly would you give to save a friend?

The writing is as perfected as prose comes, not to mention, borderline poetic.

We lost Mr. Bradbury this past year. But, because of stories like this, he will live forever.

Favorite quote: "No wonder the town was empty. The graveyard was full." ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
"It was like sweet and and sour sauce in book form. Not too sweet and not too sour."

That's a direct quote from my nine-year-old daughter.

I've read this book every year since I was seven years old. It was, as far as I can remember, my first experience with "horror" in literature, even if it's not a scary book. It's one of the main reasons I love Halloween as much as I do: the tradition, a holiday even older than Christmas, a celebration of those we've lost. It also captures the reckless, carefree, adventurous nature of preteen boys.

I say this every year when I review this book and I will say it again:

The Halloween Tree is to Halloween as A Christmas Carol is to Christmas.

Mr. Moundshroud is one of the greatest characters ever created. Period.

In summation: My highest possible recommendation. Read it. Read it to your kids. Read it to your parents. Read it every year. Just read it. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
Originally published in 1970, this is Bradbury's semi-mature, semi-adolescent paen to Hallowe'en, a place which he had inhabited since his earliest short stories, but cast for an audience of younger boys and girls. Well, mainly boys. Girls are notably absent from this book, recounting the story of eight friends attempting to rescue their ninth companion, the greatest boy in the world, Joe Pipkin, from his inadvertent loss in time. To find Pipkin, Tom Skelton and his chums (don't worry, none of them are really differentiated except by their costumes, so their names are largely unimportant) accompany the mysterious Mr Moundshroud on a voyage through history and around the world, to see a sort of Disney version of the origins of Hallowe'en, rather in the "history minus the gore and horror" camp. I did love this book when I first read it, probably about thirty years ago, and it still holds up today and makes wonderfully timely reading for the month of October. Maybe next for an encore some Washington Irving (to whom Bradbury owes not a little) or some Lovecraft (ditto). This short novel is full of the delightful crisp airs and scents of the Autumn, as the world moves inexorably toward winter. Recommended. 4.5 / 5 stars. ( )
1 vote Bill_Bibliomane | Dec 10, 2013 |
A group of boys is ready to go out trick-or-treating, but one of their friends, Pipkin, is nowhere to be found. Pip suggests his friends meet him at a haunted house, and from there, the boys are taken on a voyage through place and time to learn about the history of Halloween at those various times and places, including Egypt when the pyramids were first built, Europe during the witch burnings, Mexico where they learn about Day of the Dead, and more.

It was ok. I listened to the audio, narrated by Bronson Pinchot. I thought he did a good job as narrator, but for the first half of it, my mind wandered too much and I did miss quite a bit. I managed to pay better attention through the second half and enjoyed that more. It's a quick little story and a good choice for Halloween. ( )
  LibraryCin | Oct 27, 2013 |
I finally got around to reading this for my All Hallows Read this year (yes, I'm getting in a little early). The use of language is frequently magnificent, if at times overly-lush (more so than I'm used to from his short stories, certainly), the imagery is stunning and will stay with me for some time, and there's some appropriate nastiness to the tale. Overall, it's a fun romp, and though the characterisation is paper-thin and the telling is a little dated, I think children in particular will still love it. ( )
  salimbol | Oct 25, 2013 |

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mugnaini, Joseph A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pinchot, BronsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With love for MADAME MAN'HA GARREAU-DOMBASLE met twenty-seven years ago in the graveyard at midnight on the Island of Janitzio at Lake Patzcuaro, Mexico, and remembered on each anniversary of the Day of the Dead.
It was a small town by a small river and a small lake in a small northern part of a Midwest state.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375803017, Paperback)

Special indeed are holiday stories with the right mix of high spirits and subtle mystery to please both adults and children--Charles Dickens's "A Christmas Carol," for example. Or Ray Bradbury's classic The Halloween Tree. Eight boys set out on a Halloween night and are led into the depths of the past by a tall, mysterious character named Moundshroud. They ride on a black wind to autumn scenes in distant lands and times, where they witness other ways of celebrating this holiday about the dark time of year. Bradbury's lyrical prose whooshes along with the pell-mell rhythms of children running at night, screaming and laughing, and the reader is carried along by its sheer exuberance.

Bradbury's stories about children are always attended by dread--of change, adulthood, death. The Halloween Tree, while sweeter than his adult literature, is also touched at moments by the cold specter of loss--which is only fitting, of course, for a holiday in honor of the waning of the sun.

This is a superb book for adults to read to children, a way to teach them, quite painlessly, about customs and imagery related to Halloween from ancient Egypt, Mediterranean cultures, Celtic Druidism, Mexico, and even a cathedral in Paris. (One caveat, though: Bradbury unfortunately perpetuates a couple of misconceptions about Samhain, or summer's end, the Halloween of ancient Celts and contemporary pagans.) This beautiful reprint edition has the original black-and-white illustrations and a new color painting on the dust jacket. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:35 -0400)

A group of children and a "spirit" go back through time to discover the beginnings of Halloween.

111 wanted3 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,410,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible