The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury

The Halloween Tree (original 1972; edition 2001)

by Ray Bradbury, Joseph Mugnaini (Illustrator)

Member:Jessiqa
Title:The Halloween Tree
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Other authors:Joseph Mugnaini (Illustrator)
Info:Yearling (2001), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:read, children's

The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury (1972)

English (45)  Spanish (1)  All languages (46)
I loved this! What a gorgeous little gem this is. Very short so you can read this in just a few days. I call Bradbury's prose liquid poetry and this story lived up to that label.
Basically this is a Halloween adventure story filled to the brim with epic characters and gorgeous Autumn scenes.
I think I might read this every October for the rest of my life. :) ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
The Halloween Tree - Bradbury
3 stars

It was a small town by a small river and a small lake in a small northern part of a Midwest state.

It’s Halloween. A small band of boys are costume ready for a night of tricks, treats and scaring themselves silly. But the best of them, Pipkin, is missing in action. They embark on a mysterious journey through time and the origins of Halloween traditions with the magical Mr. Moundshroud.

“So," said Moundshroud. "If we fly fast, maybe we can catch Pipkin. Grab his sweet Halloween corn-candy soul. Bring him back, pop him in bed, toast him warm, save his breath. What say, lads? Search and seek for lost Pipkin, and solve Halloween, all in one fell dark blow?"

This story drips with Bradbury’s pervasive nostalgia. It’s very atmospheric, but not nearly as scary as Something Wicked This Way Comes. The story gives a clear nod to Dickens’ A Christmas Carol. But, the storyline is muddled. Bradbury’s wonderful, but overabundant imagery overwhelms the story arc. In the end, I think the story is just too dated for the current juvenile audience.

It did make me wish for a cooler, crisper, October than I can experience in Southern California.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
I absolutely love this book. The atmosphere, the stories, the poetry of the writing. I re-read it every four or five years at Halloween. ( )
  magerber | Feb 22, 2016 |
Eight boys go to Pipkin's house to pick him up. It's Halloween and they're dressed in costumes and ready to go, but Pipkin doesn't feel well, so tells them to go to the big scary house in town and he'll catch up. The boys go to the house and find an enormous tree with jack o' lanterns hanging from each branch, and a strange man who offers to show them what Halloween is about. He whisks them through time, back to the Ancient Egyptians and Romans, to the Dark Ages and modern Mexico, explaining the truths behind the skeleton and mummy costumes they wear.

I don't know how much interest this story would hold for a kid, either now or when it was first published in 1972. It's meant to explain all the different cultural aspects that make up an American Halloween, but it's written by Bradbury, who I really like, so you have a lot of sorta explanations mixed in with florid language that would likely confuse a child. And he's still using all the 'golly's and 'shucks' of a story set in the 30's. As in Something Wicked This Way Comes, a great book, you have one character who is described as the best, most loved boy, the sweetest of boyhood. Bradbury romanticized boyhood to a weird degree, even to the point where he couldn't include a single girl, not even for the character dressed as a witch. Even the witch was a boy. ( )
  mstrust | Jan 21, 2016 |
Nine boys are planning on going out for Halloween.... Eight go out to pick-up their friend Pipkin, but Pipkin isn't feeling well. Normally the fastest, most engaging of the group, Pipkin urges everyone to go on to the ravine without him... saying he'll catch up. When they get to the ravine, the boys enter the darkness & come to a spooky house and a Halloween Tree.... When Pipkin arrives, he slowly disappears and in order to save him the boys must travel back in time and learn the teachings of the history of Halloween, Day of the Dead, & other rituals of Death.

The book travels through time beginning at the time of the Pyramids & Valley of the Kings, Samhain, Roman Gods, Notre Dame, and Dia de Los Muertos. There are spooks, witches, Druids, Egyptians, Mexicans, Romans, and Christians who all have a historical relation to the costume each boy is wearing. The honoring rituals of each time period is explained so well, I could actually visualize many of them.

I REALLY Wanted to Like This More.... Nicole gave such a good review and I was so excited. But I ended up wanting more story & less literary style. The writing & prose was quite lyrical, poetic, conjuring, & evocative.....but it all proceeded at what I felt was break-neck speed. Had it been slower it might have even been spookier than it was. The version I picked up had a wonderful cover illustration, but inside the book were only pen & ink drawings. I would like this to be made into a movie, but I'm not sure who could do it justice (as in over use of hype would ruin it). ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mugnaini, Joseph A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pinchot, BronsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With love for MADAME MAN'HA GARREAU-DOMBASLE met twenty-seven years ago in the graveyard at midnight on the Island of Janitzio at Lake Patzcuaro, Mexico, and remembered on each anniversary of the Day of the Dead.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375803017, Paperback)

Special indeed are holiday stories with the right mix of high spirits and subtle mystery to please both adults and children--Charles Dickens's "A Christmas Carol," for example. Or Ray Bradbury's classic The Halloween Tree. Eight boys set out on a Halloween night and are led into the depths of the past by a tall, mysterious character named Moundshroud. They ride on a black wind to autumn scenes in distant lands and times, where they witness other ways of celebrating this holiday about the dark time of year. Bradbury's lyrical prose whooshes along with the pell-mell rhythms of children running at night, screaming and laughing, and the reader is carried along by its sheer exuberance.

Bradbury's stories about children are always attended by dread--of change, adulthood, death. The Halloween Tree, while sweeter than his adult literature, is also touched at moments by the cold specter of loss--which is only fitting, of course, for a holiday in honor of the waning of the sun.

This is a superb book for adults to read to children, a way to teach them, quite painlessly, about customs and imagery related to Halloween from ancient Egypt, Mediterranean cultures, Celtic Druidism, Mexico, and even a cathedral in Paris. (One caveat, though: Bradbury unfortunately perpetuates a couple of misconceptions about Samhain, or summer's end, the Halloween of ancient Celts and contemporary pagans.) This beautiful reprint edition has the original black-and-white illustrations and a new color painting on the dust jacket. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:35 -0400)

A group of children and a "spirit" go back through time to discover the beginnings of Halloween.

101 wanted5 pay9 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,839,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible