The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury

The Halloween Tree (original 1972; edition 2001)

by Ray Bradbury, Joseph Mugnaini (Illustrator)

Member:Jessiqa
Title:The Halloween Tree
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Other authors:Joseph Mugnaini (Illustrator)
Info:Yearling (2001), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:read, children's

The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury (1972)

Recently added byLauGal, andrewbrink, missrabbitmoon, JBP11, Aneris, ktho64152, Prashna, private library, Caroline.B

English (47)  Spanish (1)  All languages (48)
The Halloween Tree is perfect to be listened. I kept imagining a voice telling this story. It is probably wonderful. Still, it didn't touch me as it probably would if I were a thirteen year old boy.

This is a lovely horror story for younger audience; a story of friendship and one Halloween night. A group of thirteen year old boys end up learning more about the holiday than they had expected while trying to catch up with their elusive friend Pipkin.

The atmosphere of the story is perfect for this time of year. I enjoyed it even if Mr Moundshroud's educational episodes didn't have equal intensity. I loved the first part, the introduction of this group of thirteen-year-olds and Pipkin, their happiness while running together trick or treating, mysterious Mr. Moundshroud. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
I loved this! What a gorgeous little gem this is. Very short so you can read this in just a few days. I call Bradbury's prose liquid poetry and this story lived up to that label.
Basically this is a Halloween adventure story filled to the brim with epic characters and gorgeous Autumn scenes.
I think I might read this every October for the rest of my life. :) ( )
  XoVictoryXo | May 31, 2016 |
The Halloween Tree - Bradbury
3 stars

It was a small town by a small river and a small lake in a small northern part of a Midwest state.

It’s Halloween. A small band of boys are costume ready for a night of tricks, treats and scaring themselves silly. But the best of them, Pipkin, is missing in action. They embark on a mysterious journey through time and the origins of Halloween traditions with the magical Mr. Moundshroud.

“So," said Moundshroud. "If we fly fast, maybe we can catch Pipkin. Grab his sweet Halloween corn-candy soul. Bring him back, pop him in bed, toast him warm, save his breath. What say, lads? Search and seek for lost Pipkin, and solve Halloween, all in one fell dark blow?"

This story drips with Bradbury’s pervasive nostalgia. It’s very atmospheric, but not nearly as scary as Something Wicked This Way Comes. The story gives a clear nod to Dickens’ A Christmas Carol. But, the storyline is muddled. Bradbury’s wonderful, but overabundant imagery overwhelms the story arc. In the end, I think the story is just too dated for the current juvenile audience.

It did make me wish for a cooler, crisper, October than I can experience in Southern California.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
This was a re-read, but of a new (forthcoming) edition with illustrations by Gris Grimly. My ARC doesn't have many of the illustrations, but the ones it does have are lovely. I'm going to give this three starts for now--it's not one of my favorite Bradburys--but reserve the right to change that number up or down once I've had a chance to see it fully illustrated. ( )
  BillieBook | Mar 1, 2016 |
I absolutely love this book. The atmosphere, the stories, the poetry of the writing. I re-read it every four or five years at Halloween. ( )
  magerber | Feb 22, 2016 |

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mugnaini, Joseph A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pinchot, BronsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With love for MADAME MAN'HA GARREAU-DOMBASLE met twenty-seven years ago in the graveyard at midnight on the Island of Janitzio at Lake Patzcuaro, Mexico, and remembered on each anniversary of the Day of the Dead.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375803017, Paperback)

Special indeed are holiday stories with the right mix of high spirits and subtle mystery to please both adults and children--Charles Dickens's "A Christmas Carol," for example. Or Ray Bradbury's classic The Halloween Tree. Eight boys set out on a Halloween night and are led into the depths of the past by a tall, mysterious character named Moundshroud. They ride on a black wind to autumn scenes in distant lands and times, where they witness other ways of celebrating this holiday about the dark time of year. Bradbury's lyrical prose whooshes along with the pell-mell rhythms of children running at night, screaming and laughing, and the reader is carried along by its sheer exuberance.

Bradbury's stories about children are always attended by dread--of change, adulthood, death. The Halloween Tree, while sweeter than his adult literature, is also touched at moments by the cold specter of loss--which is only fitting, of course, for a holiday in honor of the waning of the sun.

This is a superb book for adults to read to children, a way to teach them, quite painlessly, about customs and imagery related to Halloween from ancient Egypt, Mediterranean cultures, Celtic Druidism, Mexico, and even a cathedral in Paris. (One caveat, though: Bradbury unfortunately perpetuates a couple of misconceptions about Samhain, or summer's end, the Halloween of ancient Celts and contemporary pagans.) This beautiful reprint edition has the original black-and-white illustrations and a new color painting on the dust jacket. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:35 -0400)

A group of children and a "spirit" go back through time to discover the beginnings of Halloween.

101 wanted5 pay9 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,344,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible