The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury

The Halloween Tree (original 1972; edition 2001)

by Ray Bradbury, Joseph Mugnaini (Illustrator)

Member:Jessiqa
Title:The Halloween Tree
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Other authors:Joseph Mugnaini (Illustrator)
Info:Yearling (2001), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:read, children's

The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury (1972)

Recently added bybpremoe77, Juliasb, private library, David.Manns, ned138, Rjhmzn, owlie13, 7HillsSchool, BreeLJ

English (50)  Spanish (1)  English (51)
Re-read #1. I was able to borrow the original 1972 hardcover with illustrations by Joseph Mugnaini which perfectly complemented Bradbury's words. Although the story is boy-centric, I still think it's one that would be enjoyed by any age or gender, especially during the autumn season.

4 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Nov 9, 2016 |
The Halloween Tree is perfect to be listened. I kept imagining a voice telling this story. It is probably wonderful. Still, it didn't touch me as it probably would if I were a thirteen year old boy.

This is a lovely horror story for younger audience; a story of friendship and one Halloween night. A group of thirteen year old boys end up learning more about the holiday than they had expected while trying to catch up with their elusive friend Pipkin.

The atmosphere of the story is perfect for this time of year. I enjoyed it even if Mr Moundshroud's educational episodes didn't have equal intensity. I loved the first part, the introduction of this group of thirteen-year-olds and Pipkin, their happiness while running together trick or treating, mysterious Mr. Moundshroud. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |
Didn't get on with this at all, although it's short I gave up less than a quarter of the way through, as I didn't like the writing style and found it lacking in atmosphere. No rating.
  john257hopper | Oct 30, 2016 |
A wild escapade for Halloween Eve. A gang of young boys set out in their costumes to celebrate Halloween as only young boys could in the years before stranger danger and poison scares. They become confused when their celebrated leader does not join them; but soon meet up with a grim and scary stranger who promises to help them find him. He takes them on an adventure through time showing in a dark and macabre way how each of their costumes came to be and how they all revolve around the theme of death, and appeasing death.

Or something like that. I confess I only listened with one ear because the rhythms of the words are like poetry and soothed me rather than gripped me. The narrator, Bronson Pinchot, is very fine, and this would be a great story for educating older children about various cultures views on death. ( )
  MrsLee | Oct 27, 2016 |

Ray Bradburyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mugnaini, JosephIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pinchot, BronsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
With love for MADAME MAN'HA GARREAU-DOMBASLE met twenty-seven years ago in the graveyard at midnight on the Island of Janitzio at Lake Patzcuaro, Mexico, and remembered on each anniversary of the Day of the Dead.
It was a small town by a small river and a small lake in a small northern part of a Midwest state.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375803017, Paperback)

Special indeed are holiday stories with the right mix of high spirits and subtle mystery to please both adults and children--Charles Dickens's "A Christmas Carol," for example. Or Ray Bradbury's classic The Halloween Tree. Eight boys set out on a Halloween night and are led into the depths of the past by a tall, mysterious character named Moundshroud. They ride on a black wind to autumn scenes in distant lands and times, where they witness other ways of celebrating this holiday about the dark time of year. Bradbury's lyrical prose whooshes along with the pell-mell rhythms of children running at night, screaming and laughing, and the reader is carried along by its sheer exuberance.

Bradbury's stories about children are always attended by dread--of change, adulthood, death. The Halloween Tree, while sweeter than his adult literature, is also touched at moments by the cold specter of loss--which is only fitting, of course, for a holiday in honor of the waning of the sun.

This is a superb book for adults to read to children, a way to teach them, quite painlessly, about customs and imagery related to Halloween from ancient Egypt, Mediterranean cultures, Celtic Druidism, Mexico, and even a cathedral in Paris. (One caveat, though: Bradbury unfortunately perpetuates a couple of misconceptions about Samhain, or summer's end, the Halloween of ancient Celts and contemporary pagans.) This beautiful reprint edition has the original black-and-white illustrations and a new color painting on the dust jacket. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:35 -0400)

A group of children and a "spirit" go back through time to discover the beginnings of Halloween.

101 wanted5 pay9 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,723,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible