Newford 11 - The Onion Girl by Charles de…

Newford 11 - The Onion Girl (original 2001; edition 2002)

by Charles de Lint

Info:Tor Books (2002), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 512 pages
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks, 2012
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Urban Fantasy

The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint (2001)

Dreams Underfoot: The Newford Collection by Charles de Lint (weeksj10)
    weeksj10: Onion Girl is an awesome story, but I would suggest you read this collection of short stories before reading the novel, because there are tons of references to Dreams Underfoot that you won't understand if you go straight to Onion Girl
    Widdershins by Charles de Lint (Kerian)

It is 1999. Jilly was hit by a car in a hit and run and is in the hospital for rehabilitation. She has discovered that she can cross into another world, what she calls "The Dreamlands", in her dreams and wants to spend all her time there instead of the world "as it is". In a parallel story, that begins in the late 60s, Raylene is a teenager in a very dysfunctional family. When she is old enough, she leaves with her best friend, Pinky.

I like that this book brings back some of the characters from Memory and Dream. (Jilly was also a supporting character in that book.) The book also backtracks to look at Jilly's younger life. I liked every aspect of the book except what happens in the Dreamlands, which I found mostly boring, at least at first, and occasionally throughout the rest. The narrator of the audio did a really good job of Raylene's "hillbilly" accent. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 8, 2014 |
First I have to get my hands on a copy, but I love de Lint's urban fantasies.
  Susanna.Dilliott | Apr 23, 2014 |
This isn’t a fantasy novel because it takes place half on Earth and half in a Spirit World that exists as a backdrop to all of reality. This isn’t a fantasy novel because it features wolf-headed, shape-shifting original people and crow girls. No, this isn’t a fantasy novel because there are fairies and Native American Earth spirits who share their wisdom. This is a fantasy novel because most of the characters in the story give a shit about each other.

That’s right. Pretty far-fetched, huh? de Lint creates a magical world around the main character, Jilly Coppercorn, where she and her extensive collection of (let me say, roughly … ten) friends are almost unbearably sensitive and thoughtful toward each other. I’m not talking about parent-child relationships here or lovers. I’m talking about an extended group of friends who listen to each other, visit each other frequently, and deeply care about each other. Now that’s a goddamn magical world. Do I sound cynical? Wish I lived there.

For the first two-thirds of The Onion Girl, I was thoroughly enjoying the writing, and my excitement was building. de Lint seemed to be masterfully shaping the plot and building it toward an awesome collision between Jilly and Raylene, two sisters, one with inner light and the other with inner darkness. The good sister, in some ways, too good to be true. The dark sister, a violent con artist. It is perhaps because the energy deflated out of this conflict, the amazing collision failing to materialize as dramatically as I had hoped, that my doubts about the story came more into relief.

The Onion Girl’s world felt a little bit … precious. Those friendships too perfect, Jilly too perfect, too goody-two shoes. Her persona ended up feeling just too good to be true and that left an artificial flavor in my mouth. Mind you, there’s a split personality at work here, in more ways than one. On one hand, the story is about friendships. On the other hand, it about the realistically portrayed horrors of sexual abuse. And the suffering the abuse caused was not soft-pedaled. But there was such an excessive contrast between the pristine goodness of the recovered Jilly and her sister Raylene that it had the effect of making the goodness seem sappy and even prissy.

I was also taken out of the story by the humor within the narrative. Or I should say, attempted humor. After a while, I began to notice that all of the various characters’ witticisms fell flat. None of them cracked a smile on my face nor did they come across as credibly humorous enough to make another character laugh. It made me feel as though every character in The Onion Girl considered Marmaduke to be the height of comedy.

I interpreted the primary theme of the book as recovery. Recovery and related subjects—redemption and forgiveness or the lack thereof. de Lint explores how sexual abuse can drive people to commit terrible acts, both self-destructive acts and other destructive acts. And how some people grow through them and turn their lives around while others never make it through the tunnel of pain. Moderate plot spoilers (but not the ending) follow: Jilly ran away from home at the age of ten in order to escape her brother’s sexual abuse. She even became a prostitute and a drug addict. But she eventually got off the streets and became a modestly recognized artist who spends a lot of time volunteering and helping other runaways. Unfortunately, when she ran away and escaped her brother’s sexual abuse, she left her younger sister behind. Raylene went through almost identical circumstances, until she eventually stabbed her brother. Raylene went on to lead a primarily criminal life with her friend Pinky.

What was unusual and rather inspirational about this book was how it dealt with real-world issues directly within a fantasy genre. So often fantasy novels deal with fantastical issues that only tangentially or metaphorically relate to real-world matters. I also enjoyed the writing. de Lint knows how to turn a sentence and construct scenic descriptions. I could picture all the events as he described them. Just as the Onion Girl felt as though she had numerous negative issues to deal with under her sugar-coated outer layer, I found layers of negative and positive qualities to this story. I didn’t cry. I was just disappointed. ( )
  David_David_Katzman | Nov 26, 2013 |
I'm a huge Charles de Lint fan. This was really as good as his other work, but I like Jilly so much that this was a little disappointing. He really puts her through the fire in this one. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
Every once in awhile I read a book that makes me want to push it on all my friends and say: read this, NOW! This is one of those books.

I was hooked from the first page. Jilly Coppercorn is a fantastic heroine. The intermingling of magic and myth is just too good for words. Jilly and her friends have wonderful worlds to travel, heartbreaks to heal, abuse to overcome, and strength beyond imagining.

I reached a point 100 pages from the end where I felt dread. I had a preconceived notion of where this was heading and I wasn't pleased. But it took a turn and changed it course. I was surprised and happy by this. Seriously wonderful way to end the book.

I highly recommend this to all my friends who love Magical Realism

purlewe | Apr 1, 2013 |
They (fairy tales) make rivers run with wine only to make us remember, for one wild moment, that they run with water.
--G.K. Chesterton, from Orthodoxy
It was you, it was you, who said that dreams come true
And it was you, it was you, who said that mine would, too
And it was you who said that all I had to do was to believe
But when your ivory towers tumbled down, they tumbled down on me
--Fred Eaglesmith, from "It Was You"
It's the family you choose that counts.
--Andrew Vachss
for all of those who against all odds made the right choice
Once upon a time...

In novel after novel, and story after story, Charles de Lint has brought an entire imaginary North American city to vivid life. Newford: where magic lights dark streets; where myths walk clothed in modern shapes; where a broad cast of extraordinary and affecting people work to keep the whole world turning.

At the center of all the entwined lives in Newford stands a young artist named Jilly Coppercorn, with her tangled hair, her paint-splattered jeans, a smile perpetually on her lips--Jilly, whose paintings capture the hidden beings that dwell in the city's shadows. Now, at last, de Lint tells Jilly's own story...for behind the painter's fey charm lies a dark secret and a past she's labored to forget. And that past is coming to claim her now.

"I'm the onion girl," Jilly Coppercorn says. "Pull back the layers of my life, and you won't find anything at the core. Just a broken child. A hollow girl." She's very, very good at running. But life has just forced Jilly to stop.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:40 -0400)

"Charles de Lint has brought an entire imaginary North American city to vivid life, Newford: where magic lights dark streets; where myths walk clothed in modern shapes; where humans and older beings must work to keep the whole world turning." "He has peopled this city with extraordinary characters - people like Joseph Crazy Dog, also known as Bones, the trickster who walks in two worlds at once; Sophie, born with magic in the blood, whose boyfriend dwells in the otherworld of dreams; Angel, who runs a center for street people and lives up to her name; Geordie, creating enchantment with his fiddle; Christy, collecting stories in the streets; the Crow Girls, wild and elusive; and many, many more." "At the center of these entwined lives stands a young artist named Jilly Coppercorn, whose paintings capture the hidden beings that dwell in Newford's shadows. Jilly has been a central part of the street scene since de Lint's very first stories. With her tangled hair, her paint-splattered jeans, a smile perpetually on her lips, she's darted in and out of the Newford tales. Now, at last, we have Jilly's own story, and it's a powerful one indeed...for behind the painter's fey charm there's a dark secret, and a past she's labored to forget. And that past is coming to claim her now, threatening all she loves." ""I'm the onion girl, " Jilly Coppercorn says. "Pull back the layers of my life, and you won't find anything at the core. Just a broken child. A hollow girl." She's run from the past and the truth for so long. She's very good at running. But life has just forced Jilly to stop."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,146,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible