Drinking with Calvin and Luther!: A History…

Drinking with Calvin and Luther!: A History of alcohol in the church (2003)

by Jim West

A historical look at the use of alcohol in the lives of some of the church fathers. It is a humerous look that also involves using scripture as a rebuttal to much of the temperance movement. In some cases it seems that the qutor goes to far in encourageing the use of alcohol, but there has always been sucha a strong defense of temperance that I wont fault him much for this. ( )
1 vote morryb | Aug 16, 2008 |
This is a great book. It is lots of fun to read and it should be read by all Christian teetotalers. ( )
  Cajun_Huguenot | Oct 14, 2006 |
This book is a funny yet serious look at the history of alcohol in Protestant Christianity. It is very enlightening and shares a lot of history and scripture about alcohol.

In all of that, it still manages to be very tounge-in-cheek. It almost had me rolling on the floor a couple of times.

This book proves, that contrary to what Prohobitionists might like to tell you, godly men of ages past enjoyed fermented beverages in moderation. It will make you want to abstain from alcohol in moderation. ( )
2 vote markusnenadovus | May 3, 2006 |
Being a Reflection upon Past Events involving various & sundry Historical Luminaries, containing discussion of Theological Matters, sufficiently buttressed by all manner of Worthy Apologetics, accompanied by many Humorous Diversions, & helpfully supplemented with a Careful Study of the desirable qualities to be found in a host of Fermented Beverages.
dedicated to all hearty heirs of the Reformation in recognition of their enthusiasm for the doctrines redemption and creation.
Drinking with Calvin and Luther! contains snapshots of the drinking joys of the Protestant Reformers and their heirs.
And wine that maketh glad the heart of man... (Psalm 104:15)Nowhere are we forbidden to laugh, or to be satisfied with food... or to be delighted with music, or to drink wine. (John Calvin)We are jolly fellows, we Germans; we eat, and drink, and sing, and break our glasses.... (Martin Luther)God in his goodness sent the grape to cheer both great and small. Little fools will drink too much and great fools none at all. (unknown)
So when the devil says to you: "Do not drink," answer him: "I will drink, and right freely, just because you tell me not to." One must always do what Satan forbids. What other cause do you think that I have for drinking so much strong drink, talking so freely and making merry so often, except that I wish to mock and harass the devil who is wont to mock and harass me. (Luther)...compared the Word of God "to a good strong wine." (Zwingli) "a gallon of beer per day was the usual allowance per person, even for nuns." (Will Durant)The Prohibitionists say that drinking is bad for you, but the Bible says that Noah made wine and drank it and he only lived to be 950 years. Show me an abstainer who ever lived that long. (Will Rogers)This do, as often as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. (1 Corinthians 11:25)And you shall bestow that money for whatsoever your soul lusts after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever your soul desires: and you shall eat there before the Lord your God, and you shall rejoice, you, and your household. (Deuteronomy 14:26)God created man to eat bread and to drink wine. (Psalm 104)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,755,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible