The Uncanny (Penguin Classics) by Sigmund…

The Uncanny (Penguin Classics)

by Sigmund Freud

1910s (43)

I'm going to start this review out by saying... I think Freud was a little bit of a whackadoodle. Just putting that out there.

That said, there are some things in this book that make sense - in an uncanny way (see what I did there?). The first essay on Screen Memories had me scratching my head and questioning my childhood memories. The essay on Creative Writing and Dreams had me looking at all those creative sorts around me with a new insight.

Then there is the Uncanny essay.

First, let me say that for being such a "big" name, Freud defies the stereotype of boring essays by making these remarkably approachable and interesting. In a way, they almost read like fiction - what with all the "subjects" he casually throws into the conversation.

Now, the uncanny essay - I am studying it so much this summer and it is a treasure trove of delights. Stop for a moment and think about it. Can you define uncanny? If you can't - this essay is for you. (You might want to skip the first part, although if you read it I can talk to you and let you know just how the first part is uncanny in and of itself!).

Highly, highly recommend, especially if you are a fan of the horror or "uncanny" genre of book. Will give you fantastic insights into just what is making those hairs on the back of your neck raise. ( )
  TheLostEntwife | May 18, 2012 |
This is a remarkable contribution from Freud that is almost entirely ignored by psychology on account of its lack of applicability. But that is a tragedy, because this is a work of first-rate thinking. Freud explores the `Uncanny,' the no longer being at home, and traces its dimensions through literature, dreams, and childhood memories. He also contributes a brilliant speculation into Leonardo Da Vinci, later coined as an exercise in `psychobiography', in which he magnificently uses a single memory to investigate the conflicts and dilemmas of Leonardo's childhood and subsequent artistry and genius. This is a crucial text in Freud's vast body of work, I urge you to read it. ( )
  bloom | Jul 17, 2006 |

Freud was fascinated by the mysteries of creativity and the imagination. The groundbreaking works that comprise The Uncanny present some of his most influential explorations of the mind. In these pieces Freud investigates the vivid but seemingly trivial childhood memories that often "screen" deeply uncomfortable desires; the links between literature and daydreaming; and our intensely mixed feelings about things we experience as "uncanny." Also included is Freud's celebrated study of Leonardo Da Vinci-his first exercise in psychobiography.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:02 -0400)

Leonardo da Vinci fascinated Freud primarily because he was keen to know why his personality was so incomprehensible to his contemporaries. In his biographical essay on da Vinci, included in this volume, he deconstructs both his character and the nature of his genius.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,298,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible