When Rabbit Howls by The Troops for Truddi…

When Rabbit Howls (1987)

by The Troops for Truddi Chase

Recently added byprivate library, RedBowlingBallRuth, LoriGross82, KDKat5, Alloc, Ray.Gun
    I Am More Than One by Jane Wegscheider Hyman (Phantasma)
    Phantasma: I Am More Than One helps explain the phenomenon of DID. It's a great supplement to this book for those interested in the disorder itself.

To be honest it was a very hard book to read. very confusing with all the troops characters. I thought it was a bit weird that the troops were writing this story. I liked Sybil much better but there were parts of this book that were really good. What a sad story.

Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
Whether or not you believe the metaphsyical theories of Dr. Robert A. Phillips in regards to MPD or DID (dissociate identity disorder), he was in fact able to track down Truddi Chase's half-siblings and verify a large amount of the horrific abuse detailed in this book.

Perhaps Ms. Chase did create over ninety framented personalities to survive, or perhaps the fragments were really one personality and the work of an overzealous psychatrist. Either way, this woman survived something far worse than any horror author could dream of writing. She not only survived--she became a successful and brilliant woman.

That, itself, makes for a truly fascinating and ultimately empowering read. ( )
  ElizabethConard | Apr 5, 2013 |
I had read started to read this book when it first came out then had to put it away. It was to much emotionally for me.I felt so horrible for Truddi and to know that evil affects even little children so profoundly. I eventually got rid of the book with out finishing it. Fast foward 15 years? later and I checked it out at my local library. I forced myself through it and was amazed at the endurance of the human spirit and what the mind does in order to protect . I had read Sybil when I was in high school and while that was a horrible case of abuse and personality disorder it did not have the impact on me that this book did. Not for the weak hearted. ( )
  mikomi6 | Aug 4, 2011 |
After watching the newest show on Oprah mentioning and talking about Truddi Chase and after wanting to do more reading the disorder side of this phenomena, I decided to pick-up this book. A really good read. it’s a autobiography written in a story format. This way of writing really helped the book easier to follow along. Their story truly was a fascinating and chilling read about their prolonged abuse as a child and their growth into a more functioning multiple system. ( )
  earthlistener | Oct 29, 2010 |
A chilling book! I was really struck by the honesty presented by the Troops, as the multiple personalities call themselves. It was a sad picture of abuse and trauma, but also a story of redeeming the situation. ( )
  sister_t | Aug 13, 2010 |
can anyone tell me how to actually read the books in my library thank you
added by KellyCool | editnew york times, Kelly (Jan 26, 2010)

This book is dedicated to Robert A. Phillips Jr., Ph.D., for enduring "Stanley" and making the battleground safe; Lois B. Valladares, M.S., for exposing the location of the other bomb; Joan Uri of A Woman's Place, for the sense of urgency; our agent Rebecca McCormick and Mr McCormick, for giving the Irishman his due; Leezie Dameron, Dennis V. Kosineski and Boo, Suzanne Turner McBride, Dottie Reich, Alice Randall, Ernie Fears, Sandra R. Gregg, Karen Chenoweth, and Pat Martin, for the light in the window; Sergeant York and the woman and men of the Montgomery County Police Youth Division; to "Mr." Stone, who will remember and do; Mike and Ken and the entire Men's Group - and Terry and Apple Blossoms for their guts and a beautiful reflection; to Mervie, Arthur, and the grandfather in fond memory - most especially to our daughter, Kari Kathleen Cupcake with love beyond time - and to our Daniel Davis for whom the eight horses ride.
Protective Services, federally funded and operating statewide, dealt with a variety of family ills - among them, child abuse.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515103292, Mass Market Paperback)

"To escape the horror of violent abuse, the two-year-old child "went to sleep" and created the inner world of "the Troops," the 92 voices that shielded her from pain, but that she didn't know existed until adulthood. this is a journey through the fragmented world of the multiple personality—told by the Troop."—Amazon.com.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:51 -0400)

Abused as a child, a woman develops 92 separate personalities to deal with her pain.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,392,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible