Where Time Winds Blow by Robert Holdstock

Where Time Winds Blow (original 1981; edition 1981)

by Robert Holdstock

Member:MikeBriggs
Title:Where Time Winds Blow
Authors:Robert Holdstock
Info:Pocket (1981), Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:Science Fiction, Read but not yet rated, Own, Fiction, Read

Where Time Winds Blow by Robert Holdstock (1981)

Recently added byprivate library, tleemans, agmlll, parsec-sff, Ayelin, Coltime, Allegorya_de_la_Fae, Mintsumie

An interesting SF story from Robert Holdstock. Where Time Winds Blow is set on the planet VanderZande and tells of a team of relic hunters - those who seek the debris from other times which is left when the wind blows. The addition of young Kris to the team is unsettling to old-timers Leo and Lena, both changed by their time on the planet and the character shifting electrical storms.

I had only read his fantasy previously and I am pleased to say that Holdstock reveals the details of his SF planet at a good pace and I liked the characters and world he created. Great ending too. ( )
1 vote calm | Jan 15, 2013 |
Quite an interesting adventure story! ( )
  sf_addict | Jul 16, 2008 |
On VanderZande’s World, also known as Kamelios, strange storms called fiersig can disturb moods and change personality. In addition, a peculiar valley is intermittently altered by winds which seem to project objects and locations through time. If engulfed by these time winds, people disappear. Worse, if caught up in the edge of a time eddy, only a part of you may be swept away. Human search parties scour the valley for artefacts revealed by the winds. The strange atmosphere of the planet has imbued their members with odd superstitions. A phantom human figure, which may or may not be a figment of the imagination, haunts the valley.

The first two sections of the book deal with the environment of this strange rift and the human society which has evolved there but in part three, after the inevitable happens, we are suddenly wrenched away to a totally different part of the planet in order for the author to indulge in philosophising through the medium of viewpoint character Leo Faulcon and to set up what is, to me, an unsatisfying ending.

The prose is occasionally Ballardian in tone but I found it too distanced. As a consequence I didn’t feel involved enough with the characters.

When Time Winds Blow rather confirms my previously heldopinion of Holdstock’s work. I’m afraid there is something about his style which does not engage me.

Robert Holdstockprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Houten, MickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walotsky, RonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Fellow Voyagers:

Chris, Garry, Chris, Chris and Andrew

T'ung Jen!
Towards dusk, five days after they had left the city, Lena Tanoway led her small team through the rugged foothills of the Ilmoroq mountains, and out onto the narrow coastal plain that bordered the Paluberion Sea.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,618,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible