Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard

Battlefield Earth (original 1982; edition 2011)

by L. Ron Hubbard

Member:jchappell
Title:Battlefield Earth
Authors:L. Ron Hubbard
Info:Galaxy Pr Llc (2011), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 1050 pages

Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard (Author) (1982)

English (26)  Italian (1)  All languages (27)
Literally could not put this book down. One of my favorites, but I refuse to watch the ridiculous looking John Travolta movie. ( )
  jspringbrinkley | Mar 15, 2014 |
Battlefield Earth
By L. Ron Hubbard
Publisher: St. Martin’s Press
Published In: New York City, NY, USA
Date: 1982
Pgs: 819

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
Earth, the year 3000, the extermination of Man occurred sometime in the distant past. An alien race, the Psyclos, have conquered the planet and taken ownership. An intergalactic mining concern has come to strip the Earth of ore and ship it home, strip mining away the mineral wealth of the planet. Planetary Security Officer Terl discovers something on a drone flyby in the Rocky Mountains, a vein of gold. Gold is very rare on Psycho. There’s enough there visible to make him a wealthy and feared man when he returns home. If he can find a way to mine it out without the company finding out what he is doing. He needs a way to safely and profitably mine the vein in secret. A ready made slave race in the almost extinct Humanity fits the bill nicely. Jonnie Goodboy Tyler, mountain villager, hunter, explorer, who falls into Terl’s hands is the first. Taught the Psychlo language and the processes of mining and equipment usage through a rapid learning process, Terl is teaching the animal, as he refers to Tyler. to become proficient in the machinery and ways of the Psychlo. Tyler is used to recruit a team of other humans from Scotland where another isolated tribe of survivors is discovered. Terl has underestimated the animals of Earth. He plans on finishing the Human problem on this planet once they get him his gold. The problem with Humanity is that they learn their lessons well and they have a long history of rising against conquerors.

Genre:
fiction, science fiction, space, aliens, space opera

Why this book:
I first read this book many, many years ago and loved it. This predated the horrible b-movie that was made from the source material. My reading of the book predates the extensive rise of Scientology in the cultural lexicon as well. The book is great in its own right without the luggage that gets glommed onto it because of who the author is and the bad movie made from its bones.

This Story is About:
courage, vengeance, greed, caring, family, triumph

Favorite Character:
Jonnie Goodboy Tyler is a great character. His drawback really is that he didn’t take his revenge on Terl when the first opportunity presented itself, course that would have made the second half of the book much shorter. His “poor Terl” comment in the later portion of the book is very out of character. That is the only piece that I can point at in the book that felt ooc.

Least Favorite Character:
Brown Limper Staffor. He’s a douche and a bully...and a sycophantic idiot.

Character I Most Identified With:
Jonnie, Bittie, Dunnelldeen, Sir Robert...heroes all.

The Feel:
The book is so long and so well written that it is daunting in and of itself.

Favorite Scene:
When Tyler begins to figure out that even though he has has learned Psychlo, Terl has not learned English.
Bankers to the rescue.
Jonnie the Selachee.
The Psychopolips.

Settings:
The Rocky Mountains, Denver, Colorado; The main Psychlo mining encampment; Scotland; Kariba; Zurich; Singapore; the Moon Astarte; the Planet Tolnep; the Planet Psychlo; the Planet Selachee; Luxembourg; Glasgow; Cornwall;

Pacing:
The pacing is awesome through the early sections of the book where most novels stumble as they do their intro and set up. Hubbard hit the ground running in this story and kept his foot on the gas.

Plot Holes/Out of Character:
The whole second half of the book suffers from the Brown Limper Staffor parts. the story would be light years better if those parts were condensed down and limited or cut.

Last Page Sound:
N/A

Author Assessment:
I have read other stuff by Hubbard and, by and large, most of it isn’t my cup of tea. Battlefield Earth, however, is one of my favorite novels. Wish they had made a better movie out of it.

Editorial Assessment:
The story is very well put together. Except for the BLS parts in the second half of the book. I get why Hubbard continued on with the story after the climax of the first half, but it suffers from its own length and the weakness of the villain BLS. Luckily, Terl is still alive in that section of the book to act as the power behind the throne to BLS’s more pedestrian evil. If a conniving bastard schmoozing his way into power over the entire world could be called pedestrian. And then the third act kicks off and Humanity faces their next apocalypse and the story picks back up again.

Did the Book Cover Reflect the Story:
The cover shows Jonnie Goodboy Tyler fighting the Psychlos. That image encapsulates the story perfectly.

Hmm Moments:
For all Brown Limper Staffor’s buildup, he does get off the screen in very short order. I believe that Hubbard recognized BLS’s limits as a prime villain of the piece and that was why he wrote him out when the opportunity came. Though, in the interest of a tighter plot, I wish he would have gone back and had BLS disappear from the narrative when Jonnie rediscovered his home village. Though BLS’s acting as a puppet foil for Terl through the 2nd act did free Jonnie to make his moves prior to the 3rd act’s apocalypse.

Knee Jerk Reaction:
real classic

Disposition of Book:
Keep It

Why isn’t there a screenplay?
There was.

There’s no excuse with this source material that they couldn’t make a better movie than the crap they ended up with in that movie. Course they did try to turn a 430,000 word novel into just under a two hour movie...again...as I’ve said repeatedly since it came out...c’mon.

Casting call:
John Travolta, Barry Pepper, and Forrest Whitaker...and they still couldn’t make a better movie. C’mon.

Would recommend to:
friends, family, kids, colleagues, everyone, genre fans, Hubbard aficionados ( )
  texascheeseman | Mar 6, 2014 |
This is the best book I ever read in scope and smooth development of character and plot. Quite epic.

Mr Hubbard entirely escaped my attention when in my retail book selling days and I rather thought he was a fiction as a fiction writer, likely because I wasn't much of a Sci Fi reader and many of his earlier titles were not in print on trade lines. I tended towards historical novels, and the creativeness of the accompanying art of the sci fi genre was not really understood or appreciated by me yet even though we sold a ton of books with Frank Frazetta artwork I was not in the creative groove here.

The main character is nice and bright and caring and simple who has a lot to learn and a lot of problems to solve to prevent the extinction of people, the human race. Pretty dramatic.

The suspense factor of having so many problems introduced that need resolution just kept me on the edge of my seat, or up late late at night, to find out how it would all end.

I'm glad I read this book. Even 7 times or so. I have a tendency to do that with my favorite stories. Did that with Lord of The Rings and some of the Oz books when younger. I guess I marveled at such creativity.

The first time I read Battlefield Earth, I thought the story would be over about midway through after the main intensely suspenseful military segment was concluding and I thought "What more could there be?" but what followed was diplomacy, finance and a peace tome economy to build among other things.

I guess we hear so little of such things in the news that that is why I expected it to end with the military climax....

I expect the upcoming unabridged audiobook to be superb ( )
1 vote Bruce_Deming | Nov 2, 2013 |
Profoundly abysmal. Even before I knew anything more about Old Father Hubbard, I knew that this was a dreadful book. ( )
  Bill_Bibliomane | Aug 1, 2013 |
I wasn't a big science fiction fan until I read this book. The characters and plot were so interesting I was annoyed when I had to stop reading the book to go to work. The bad guys are despicable and the good guys are awesome. I highly recommend it, even if you are not a science fiction fan. ( )
  PTBooks | Jun 26, 2013 |
Tight plotting, furious action and have at 'em entertainment.
added by Bruce_Deming | editKirkus Review

If you like the kind of fast, unrelenting 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' action, then this is the book for you. It's a real page turner."
added by Bruce_Deming | editRocky Mountain News

"A Terrific Story"
added by Bruce_Deming | editRobert Heinlein

"Over 1,000 pages of thrills, spills, vicious aliens and noble humans. I found Battlefield Earth un-put-downable."
added by Bruce_Deming | editNeil Gaiman

Hubbard, L. RonAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hubbard, L. RonIntroductionmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Grace, GerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This brand-new novel is dedicated to Robert A. Heinlein, A. E. van Vogt, John W. Campbell, Jr., and all the merry crew* of science fiction and fantasy writers of the thirties and forties--The Golden Age--who made science fiction and fantasy the respected and popular literary genres they have become today.
"Man," said Terl, "is an endangered species."

It's the year 3000 A.D. and Man has become an endangered species under the ruthless rule of an alien race.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:58 -0400)

An epic adventure set in the year 3000 when the future of the human race is at stake.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Galaxy Press

Two editions of this book were published by Galaxy Press.

Editions: 1592120075, 1592121667

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible