The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

The Eyes of the Dragon (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Stephen King

6,74198551 (3.81)153
Member:SavageKismet
Title:The Eyes of the Dragon
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1987), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:***

The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (1987)

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (Scottneumann)
    The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Very similar in tone.
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (ElBarto)
    ElBarto: Wer mit diesem Ausflug Stephen Kings in das Fantasy-Genre etwas anfangen konnte, sollte auch dem Zyklus um den Dunklen Turm eine Chance geben.
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Faerie Tale by Raymond Feist (Scottneumann)
    The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (sturlington)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (sturlington)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (Booksloth)
    The Adventures of Jack Varty Smith, Book One - The Calling by R.S. Marlow (robertsmarlow)
    robertsmarlow: Classic story about good versus evil involving a mid-evil period of time including wizards and conflict.
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (keremix)

English (94)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (98)
Read this many years ago, when it first came out, and recently went back to it on audio (from the library). This is King's foray into Young Adult Fantasy fiction, that he was inspired to write, when he had written 13 novels and his daughter had reached 13 years and had never read (nor desired to) any of his books.

It is the story of a kingdom and its elderly monarch; Roland, his two sons and his "trusted" adviser/wizard Flagg. There really isn't much fantasy (at least too my mind) in this story, other than it set in a far off fairy tale like world and sure there is the one encounter with a dragon, and Flagg has been around for more years than is possible and has magical powers. Okay, in retrospect there is a lot of fantasy elements, but the bulk of the the story deals with regicide, political intrigue, wrongful imprisonment and redemption, all orchestrated by the man behind the curtain; Flagg.

It was a pretty good story, not great, but worth your time, if you are a King-o-phile. If you've read his other works, especially, the Dark Tower series and the Stand, you will recognize the names and see that while King's stories might not all be in one universe, they touch in various places and bleed through.

6/10

S: 3/11/15 F: 3/26/15 (16 Days) ( )
  mahsdad | Apr 13, 2015 |
King takes a stab at young adult fantasy. Not a very memorable book, but probably still better than loads of other books in this category. ( )
  sturlington | Feb 27, 2015 |
I understand that this was many readers' first King book. I understand that this book rests in the hearts of thousands. I understand this is meant to be a fairytale, and that I am not the target audience. I understand all that and I still choose to hate this book. How'd Bobby Brown put it... "It's my prerogative."

The Eyes of the Dragon was slightly more bearable this go around because Laddie from Perfect Strangers read it to me, and I highly suggest you take the same route when/if you decide to tackle this lesser-known fantasy novel. Bronson Pinchot's performance is fantastic, and lends entertainment value to some of the most boring shit King has ever written. There are only three major scenes in the book, and the plot doesn't even begin until a hundred pages in. That would be fine if this book was six- or seven-hundred pages long. But no. It's 380 pages long, with artwork and big-ass font to make the book seem thicker than it actually is.

This book ties in very loosely to the Dark Tower books. Delain is mentioned in several DT novels, and Thomas and Dennis's names are dropped in The Waste Lands, but overall, I feel that this one happens outside of Mid-World, in perhaps another inscape that resides off to the side, much like our own whens.

In summation: Not quite Young Adult because there's no trials-of-youth theme and nowhere near the quality of King's adult fiction, The Eyes of the Dragon is pretty much impossible to categorize in the King-verse. Recommended to King completionists only. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
Only Stephen King could make napkins interesting. And I mean that literally. This book really should be called The Royal Napkins for the prominent role those handy dinner accessories play in this rare fantasy gem by the master of horror. And one would think that a novel featuring napkins as a crucial plot point can only lead to sheer boredom… but leave it to Stephen King. He can take napkins and make them as fascinating as the scariest of monsters.

Luckily for those who are still wary of a book about square pieces of linen, The Eyes of the Dragon isn’t just about napkins. It is an old-fashioned fantasy with dragons, magic crystals, magic poisons, magicians, kings, and princes, with murder, betrayal, loyalty, and wrongful imprisonment, and with napkins… of course. The novel chronicles the lives of two royal princes: the older brother Peter, and the younger, Thomas, and their father, King Roland the Good, who rules over the magical kingdom of Delain. Roland is advised by the sinisterly evil magician, Flagg, who wants to wrest more control over the kingdom, so he murders the king, and frames the older (and far more courageous) son, Peter for the crime. When Peter is sent to prison “at the top of The Needle,” the younger and weaker brother, Thomas, takes the throne. He rules in name only, however, since Flagg really holds the power.

And Peter may be trapped in his cell at the top of the tallest tower in Delain, but he has an escape plan. Peter’s staunchest allies, including his childhood friend, Ben, and his former butler, Dennis, are doing everything in their power to get Peter out too. But can they get past the dark magician? Can Peter prove his innocence and claim the throne that is rightfully his? And what did Thomas see the night his father was murdered?

A very fun read, and it is obvious in the tone and style of the novel that King had fun writing it. There isn’t much depth to The Eyes of the Dragon as found in some of King’s other works, but that is kind of the idea here. Kick back, relax, and enjoy a fun romp through an equally fun fantasy world. Watch Peter grow up, first under the quietly intelligent eye of his beautiful mother Sasha, and later under the tutelage of palace staff. Watch him become a man in his prison cell, and hatch his crazy escape plan, which (SPOILER ALERT!!) will involve napkins. Conversely, watch the delicate and borderline-sniveling brother, Thomas, cope with his jealousy at his stronger and more confident older brother by hiding in castle corridors and spying on his father. Watch him regress when he wakes up one day and finds himself king. And throughout the narrative, watch the viciously evil Flagg wreak his black havoc… because he can.

There isn’t much to be gained from The Eyes of the Dragon – besides a new appreciation for the power of napkins – and that is a-ok. It is a fun ride. Thank you, Stephen King, for taking me on it. ( )
  parhamj | Nov 16, 2014 |
The Eyes of the Dragon by [a:Stephen King|3389|Stephen King|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1362814142p2/3389.jpg] doesn’t have dragons in it. Not one bit. But when I was in middle school, I didn’t know that. I saw a book I hadn’t read with the word “dragon” in the title. For me, that was enough. I just knew the book had to be awesome with the word “dragon” in it.
Even when I figured out there were no dragons in the story, I still loved this book. It’s just a nice piece of fantasy storytelling.
This book taught me a lot about breaking preconceived notions that authors can only write one genre.
Read the full review here: www.ravenoak.net ( )
  kaonevar | Nov 12, 2014 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tamminen, TapioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This story is for my great friend Ben Straub, and for my daughter, Naomi King.
Once, in a kingdom called Delain, there was a King with two sons.
Perhaps it was luck that saved him, or fate, or those gods he prayed to; I'll not take a stand on the matter.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451166582, Mass Market Paperback)

A kingdom is in turmoil as the old king dies and his successor must do battle for the throne. Pitted against an evil wizard and a would-be rival, Prince Peter makes a daring escape and rallies the forces of Good to fight for what is rightfully his. This is a masterpiece of classic dragons-and-magic fantasy that only Stephen King could have written!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:48 -0400)

In the kingdom of Delain, a young prince must struggle against powerful forces to gain his rightful inheritance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,208,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible