The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

The Eyes of the Dragon (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Stephen King

7,198112495 (3.82)162
Title:The Eyes of the Dragon
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1987), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King (1987)

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (Scottneumann)
    The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King (sturlington)
    sturlington: Very similar in tone.
    The Gunslinger by Stephen King (ElBarto)
    ElBarto: Wer mit diesem Ausflug Stephen Kings in das Fantasy-Genre etwas anfangen konnte, sollte auch dem Zyklus um den Dunklen Turm eine Chance geben.
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker (Scottneumann)
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (Booksloth)
    The Adventures of Jack Varty Smith, Book One - The Calling by R.S. Marlow (robertsmarlow)
    robertsmarlow: Classic story about good versus evil involving a mid-evil period of time including wizards and conflict.
    Faerie Tale by Raymond Feist (Scottneumann)
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (keremix)

English (108)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (112)
As I began this book, I didn't like it. It felt too young adultish and too fantasy. But it slowly grabbed my interest and in the vein of "The Dark Tower", I ended up enjoying it. Peter vs. Flagg! With napkins! :-) It ended up, for me, being a good story, and I would read any follow up, as was hinted at the end. (or the other story hinted in the middle!) Capture that Flagg! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Sep 26, 2016 |

“Once, in a kingdom called Delain, there was a King with two sons. Delain was a very old kingdom and it had had hundreds of Kings, perhaps even thousands; when time goes on long enough, not even historians can remember everything.”

King used a unique narrative style for this fairy tale, where he flexes his writing muscle and offers something much different than his usual fare. Fans of the Dark Tower series will see some name similarities and tributes here like King Roland (much different personality than our beloved gunslinger) and Flagg, who is as evil as always. Set in historical fantasy-land times, it's a story about two young brothers rising to become Kings while the kingdom is really being ruled by a demented magician.

I loved how King tied in two childhood habits into the story later as major game changers. I enjoyed the characterization - Peter and his allies were formidable forces for good, Roland and Thomas among many who struggle between right and wrong, and then finally Flagg - pure evil badassness with his laboratory and potions. It follows fairy-tale tropes with kingdoms, towers, betrayals, and the day old struggle of brotherly love/envy and living up to a father's ideals.

It's not gory, but there are disturbing scenes, such as the use of a certain dragon-influenced poison. King again indulges in weird body humor - scenes with the King farting and picking his nose. King does this often so I guess it's a humor he enjoys, although I could have done without some of the scenes. Gross!

Overall it's a well written book and easy to follow, but the pacing lags after the first 1/4th. While the story is a good one, there's just not enough action and variances to justify it's length. Not ridiculously long at 380 pages, but my interest started waning.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
This book was written for his daughter. It's not his usual scary stuff. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
The Eyes of the Dragon is Stephen King's book he wrote for his young daughter who didn't like his works of horror. It has no profanity, and is a mature fairy tale more than anything else.
A foolish king has two sons, the elder son smart, kind and wise, the younger son dull, meanspirited and foolish. He also is counseled by an evil sorcerer. The sorcerer kills the king and frames the elder son, leaving the younger, more manipulatable son to inherit the throne. But royalty cannot be executed, so the framed elder son is imprisoned in a tower, which he will not leave until his death. And the real plot of the story begins there. ( )
  fingerpost | May 30, 2016 |
The Eye of the Dragon is a fairy tale and the perfect first read of a young adult looking to ease into the fascinating world of Stephen King. ( )
  FrancineZane | Mar 18, 2016 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pinchot, BronsonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tamminen, TapioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This story is for my great friend Ben Straub, and for my daughter, Naomi King.
Once, in a kingdom called Delain, there was a King with two sons.
Perhaps it was luck that saved him, or fate, or those gods he prayed to; I'll not take a stand on the matter.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451166582, Mass Market Paperback)

A kingdom is in turmoil as the old king dies and his successor must do battle for the throne. Pitted against an evil wizard and a would-be rival, Prince Peter makes a daring escape and rallies the forces of Good to fight for what is rightfully his. This is a masterpiece of classic dragons-and-magic fantasy that only Stephen King could have written!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:44 -0400)

In the kingdom of Delain, a young prince must struggle against powerful forces to gain his rightful inheritance.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,770,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible