Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz

Drowning Ruth (edition 2000)

by Christina Schwarz

Member:annaeccentric
Title:Drowning Ruth
Authors:Christina Schwarz
Info:Doubleday (2000), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 338 pages
Tags:fiction

Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz

English (47)  Vietnamese (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (49)
I'm not sure how i felt about this book. At times, I loved it. At times, i found it tedious. At times i found it endearing. And at times, I found it annoying.

Many friends loved the book. I didn't love it. I enjoyed the parts of the story told by Ruth the most, I found Aunt Mandy to be tedious and more than a little bit shelfish.

So I'm not sure if I would ever reccomend it to anyone. But if I saw someone picking it up, I wouldn't say "put it down" either. ( )
  lmm161 | Mar 30, 2014 |
A brief impressionist painting of what it’s about: two sisters on a farm in Wisconsin around the time of WWI. An ominous lake with an island. A mysterious drowning. Matchmaking. Secrets. Madness brought about by despair. The long reach of the past, which sometimes cannot be outrun.

A brief review: it’s a very plot-driven book which is always a bit limiting for me personally, but the story is well put together and well told, unfolded through different perspectives and in layers of past and present through to the last page.

Quotes:
On breaking up:
“Clement swam so close that the spray thrown up by his kicking wet my cheeks. Wasn’t this enough, more than enough? Our happiness, after all, had once been real, even if he’d lied to spur it on. Why had I, in insisting that I be the most prized, the only beloved, hidden myself away from such delights?”

And:
“I dropped my hands to my sides, but I knew why I couldn’t find a rip, although I thought I’d torn free. The simple truth was, she’d wormed her way in so deep, I’d never get her out. If I changed my name and went to the ends of the earth and never came back, still she wouldn’t let go. She was stuck like a burr in my hair. No, it was deeper than that – she was inside me like a bone or an organ. She’d seeped into my blood with the air I sucked into my lungs.”

On poo. I laughed over this one; like me Schwarz is from Wisconsin but I don’t ever recall thinking this while driving through farmlands:
“It was a morning ripe with the smell of manure, an odor acrid when it first penetrated the nostrils, but compelling and pleasant like a good cheese the longer it clung to the air.”

And then later:
“By the time she reached the playground the sun had begun to set in crimson streaks and the manure had mellowed in the cool of the evening so that it now just seasoned the air with a hint of organic richness.” ( )
2 vote gbill | Nov 29, 2013 |
On Monday, September 27, 2004 I wrote:

Because I have promised this book to someone I decided to start reading it last night.To my surprise it was easy to get in to the book. A lot of the times with Oprah books I have problems to start, it takes me longer to enjoy the book but not in this case.It reads like a thriller.

Update: Finished and very much liked it.
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
Better than just the summer read I thought it would be not the overwhelming angst of some of Oprah's picks but plenty of life-altering choices. ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
I'd actually give this book 3.5 stars. I almost gave it a 4, but while this book was well-written and the mystery kept me interested until the end, it took a long time for me to get into this novel. Part of the reason is that the main character, Amanda, is very difficult to like most of the time -- although sympathetic, I also think she is one of those toxic people who hurts the ones she loves. ( )
1 vote JillKB | Apr 4, 2013 |
To Ben ~~~ and in memory of Louise Baecke Claeys (1902-1999) ~~~ and Marfa
Ruth remembered drowning.
…already his memory had lost the range of her expressions. He could summon her only in a few guises – glimpses of her face that for no particular reason had stuck in his mind.
… somehow they’d settled into a family at last, the various tasks of life divided comfortably among them, and the days now turned like a wheel with three spokes.
They felt an affection for one another based on their old love and sustained by avoiding personal conversation.
She was bone tired of all this running and hiding, of living alone with a monstrous hump of truth strapped to her back.

The circumstances of the drowning of Ruth's mother serves as the catalyst that precipitates an intriguing flow of interrelated events in the lives of Amanda (the drowned woman's sister) and her neice Ruth.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345439104, Paperback)

Oprah Book Club® Selection, September 2000: For 19th-century novelists--from Jane Austen to George Eliot, Flaubert to Henry James--social constraint gave a delicious tension to their plots. Yet now our relaxed morals and social mobility have rendered many of the classics untenable. Why shouldn't Maisie know what she knows? It will all come out in family therapy anyway. The vogue for historical novels depends in part on our pleasure in reentering a world of subtle cues and repressed emotion, a time in which a young woman could destroy her life by saying yes to the wrong man. After all, there was no reliable birth control, no divorce, no chance of an independent life or a scandal-free separation.

Christina Schwarz's suspenseful debut pivots on two of the lost "virtues" of the past: silence and stoicism. Drowning Ruth opens in 1919, on the heels of the influenza epidemic that followed the First World War. Although there were telephones and motor cars and dance halls in the small towns of Wisconsin in those years, the townspeople remained rigid and forbidding. As a young woman, Amanda Starkey, a Lutheran farmer's daughter, had been firmly discouraged from an inappropriate marriage with a neighboring Catholic boy. A few years later, as a nurse in Milwaukee, she is seduced by a dishonorable man. Her shame sends her into a nervous breakdown, and she returns to the family farm. Within a year, though, her beloved sister Mathilde drowns under mysterious circumstances. And when Mathilde's husband, Carl, returns from the war, he finds his small daughter, Ruth, in Amanda's tenacious grip, and she will tell him nothing about the night his wife drowned. Amanda's parents, too, are long gone. "I killed my parents. Had I mentioned that?" muses Amanda.

I killed them because I felt a little fatigued and suffered from a slight, persistent cough. Thinking I was overworked and hadn't been getting enough sleep, I went home for a short visit, just a few days to relax in the country while the sweet corn and the raspberries were ripe. From the city I brought fancy ribbon, two boxes of Ambrosia chocolate, and a deadly gift... I gave the influenza to my mother, who gave it to my father, or maybe it was the other way around.
Schwarz is a skillful writer, weaving her grim tale across several decades, always returning to the fateful night of Mathilde's death. Drowning Ruth displays her gift for pacing and her harsh insistence on the right ending, rather than the cheery one. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:00 -0400)

Worn out from nursing soldiers at a Milwaukee hospital and struggling to recover from a traumatic love affair, Amanda Starkey returns to her family's rural Wisconsin farm to stay with her beloved sister, Mattie, and a young niece, Ruth. An Oprah Book Club selection and bestseller in hardcover, Drowning Ruth, now in paperback, is a stunning portrait of the ties that bind sisters together and the forces that tear them apart. Schwarz's first novel explores themes of family love, sibling rivalry, duty, loyalty, and a possible murder.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,608,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible