Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

A Storm of Swords (2000)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (3)

20,119389129 (4.43)474
Here is the third volume in Martin's cycle of novels that includes A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings. Magic, mystery, intrigue, romance, and adventure fill these pages. The Seven Kingdoms are torn by strife as the three surviving contenders for the throne continue their struggle for power, Robb Stark defends his fledgling kingdom from the ravaging Greyjoys, Winterfell lies in ruins, Jon Snow confronts an escalating threat from behind the Wall, and Danerys Stormborn and her dragon allies continue to grow in power. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others--a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords.… (more)
    Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (asha.leu)
    The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story / The Gap into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge by Stephen Donaldson (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: One is SF the other Fantasy, they may seem very different. But they're both epic in scope, both at the darker end of the human condition, and the writing style is similar. Both tell much larger stories than just the action of the 'hero'.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Sandwich76)

English (373)  Spanish (5)  German (3)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (385)
Love these books!! ( )
  aldimartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
Love these books!! ( )
  Andy_DiMartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
A sumptuous achievement, in which all of Martin's characters from the first two books reach something of a natural climax. Each lord and lady, pretender, cripple, priestess and fishwife is given magnificent characterisation, and the tiny details of the world - Martin must be quite a heraldry nerd! - are lavishly detailed.

With the "point-of-view" narrative style, we're also able to witness Martin's great gift for puzzle-making. No character can realise the full extent of their world - whether it be the more obvious examples, like how young naive Sansa Stark slowly begins to understand the cryptic politics of King's Landing, or the "gray area" stories, such as our gradual understanding of Stannis and Melisandre, a pair whom most of the characters only know of as vague figures.

On rereading the book this month, though, it strikes me how much I missed the first time. The true extent of these books can only be felt by the nerds who read and re-read, since there really are so many tiny details just waiting to be figured out. Highly recommended, and I'm already re-reading book four. ( )
  therebelprince | Nov 15, 2020 |
MY HEART MY HEART. uhhhhh. ( )
  kickthebeat | Nov 1, 2020 |
A war continues, some more.

2/4 (Indifferent).

I'm giving up a little under halfway through. I tried. I tried so hard to care about anything in this book, for nearly 600 pages, and I just couldn't. I'm sure part of the problem is that I've seen the TV show, so I know it'll be thousands more pages before any of these stories ends up going anywhere, and I know none of these characters ever become any less unpleasant to be around. But that wasn't a problem for me when I read the first book (which is great), so it's not just me: this book is a bloated, rambling bore. ( )
  comfypants | Oct 11, 2020 |
With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

Martin, George R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Burton, JonathanIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,532,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible