A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin

A Storm of Swords (2000)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (3)

12,996None175 (4.46)375
2011 (50) 2012 (35) A Song of Ice and Fire (571) adventure (59) American (36) dragons (158) ebook (91) epic (178) epic fantasy (200) fantasy (2,511) favorites (34) fiction (919) George R. R. Martin (79) high fantasy (80) intrigue (51) Kindle (78) magic (65) medieval (68) novel (92) own (66) paperback (52) politics (67) read (181) read in 2011 (42) science fiction (59) series (239) sff (95) to-read (138) unread (45) war (98)

English (230)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (238)
The best book in the series so far! I've long given up trying to figure out what's going to happen to some of my favorite characters. There are so many twists in the plot that there is just no way to predict what is going to happen. ( )
  beccac220 | Apr 4, 2014 |
What an unbelievably awesome book and series. ( )
  wallerdc | Mar 26, 2014 |
originally posted @ Novel Reveries
I'm actually quite speechless! So many ups and downs in this book, from the beginning to the epilogue, it's amazing! If you haven't started on the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series yet, start, because reading to get to this book alone is reward in itself. It starts off really tame as the characters just go through the motions of travel, but advances a little over halfway through, dramatically. There were several times when I had to stop because I felt all the emotions between sadness, bitterness and, well, angry. GRRM plays with his readers like kids play with toys, as he directs us to believe things one way, and then jerks us to believe the opposite. A Storm of Swords could really be alternatively titles A Mock of Marriages, as there are so many in the book. The development of his characters in this book are astounding and in depth as he delves forward to releasing more of the truth of their souls.

Thoughts on A Storm of Swords main characters:

Arya: Arya is all over the place. Once people find out what she may be worth she unknowingly starts moving all over Westoros, when all she wants to do is go home; that is if her mom will take her. This seems to be her constant worry, that her mother and Brother Robb won’t accept her if they knew all the sins she’s committed. I believe she’ll be alright in that aspect... she’s only trying to survive after all. She seems to be well in control of her life choices and actions. I have loved seeing Arya’s character grow within the last two books, A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings, and her adventures in this book didn’t fail to astonish me as well.

Davos: I didn’t care for him in A Clash of Kings, and I don’t care for him in this book either. I assume he’s being introduced into this series because he later has a large part in everything, other than being GRRM’s puppet to show what’s going on in the realm of Stannis Baratheon and Melissandre.

Sansa: If Arya’s trying to survive with sins (as she believes), Sansa’s trying to survive with good deeds. Also, in contrast to her sister, Sansa seems to have no control over her life whatsoever. She’s grown on me so much within these last two books, and I admire her for her strength and pity her for her constant downfalls. I was a bit peeved at her character for being so stuck up in A Game of Thrones, but I’ve now come to the realization “What would I do if I were in her position?” Honestly, I can’t see myself pulling an Arya and daring to escape the walls of King’s Landing, so I’m sure I’d end up in Sansa’s position. I do, however, feel she’s a bit superficial in her daydreams of love and being a wife and should mature in that factor, but upon further thinking: she’s young, and being in her hostage situation daydreams are all she really have.

Tyrion: Tyrion is always an interesting character, and puts himself in interesting, if not compromising, situations. Having to follow the orders of his Father, Lord Tywin, and knowing more of his familial back history, I sympathize with him. With all he’s been through he’s seem to lost a lot of his power in the realm as well as, dare I say it, his wit. I somehow feel he’s getting a bit depressed, and not just because he’s an ‘imp’. I’m really quite glad that he’s appearing in all the books so far, because I’d feel quite lost in the book without him.

Catelyn: A strong mother who keeps taking hit after hit. Everybody is leaving her, whether through death, war, shunning or maturing. All of her faith in this book lies in hands of Brienne, but even she has no contact with the gallant woman. She cares for her son, Robb, but knows she must let him make his own decisions, and obey him as he tries to find a way to win the war. Although she witnesses the mistakes of her loved ones, Catelyn tries to go for the positive and inwardly think of solutions to mend the situations. Everything Catelyn does and thinks of is out of an act of love and vengeance for the family she has left, although there are situations that even she cannot mend.

Bran: Bran is searching for a three eyed crow. As absurd as this sounds, I see the symbolism in that Bran is actually looking for himself; learning more and more about himself as the journey continues. His gift is very useful in the survival of Jojen, Meera, Hodor, and himself, as he channels his inner wolf, among other things.

Jon: Apparently Jon Snow doesn’t know anything, still. As it is repeated over and over and over again in this book. Perhaps Jon is still clearheaded on his goals, which leads him to temptation and deception. I do believe Jon wants to be an honorable man of the Night's Watch but in reality, if he wasn’t so caught up on him being bastard-born, he would like to have a wife and family one day. Towards the ending of his storyline I was thinking, wow, this is like Harry Potter and Goblet of Fire lol! But I'm sure Jon will get it together.

Daenerys: I feel Daenerys is becoming very arrogant, although I do love seeing the display of Women Power. I think she feels she can do whatever she pleases, even if it means hurting those most loyal to her to obtain her prize. More so, I feel that she should think more before she acts. Going off of the visions other’s have set for her are not enough; she needs to have visions of her own.

Jaime: Seeing things from his perspective has brought me to really like Jaime. What goes through his mind, and how he evaluates situations are interesting and can be quite endearing. I’ve started to see him as sort of an emotional wreck when it comes to Cersie, as she just uses him like a pawn in her game. Strip The Kingslayer of his walls and you’ll find a man of heart, yearning and family pride.

Samwell: I believe he can be courageous, he’s just afraid of bravery. I can see that he can be quite smart, when it comes to things unrelated to fighting, and if he could stop and think once in a while instead of surviving off anxiety, he can be somewhat of a leader. He needs to put the past abuse of his father behind him to find his courage and strive. There are more than just the physical type of brave, there’s mental as well.

-------------
Quotes:
"'Some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens.'" (50)

"'A fat man always sits comfortably, I am thinking for he takes his pillow with him wherever he goes.'" (112)

"Gendry looked almost a man grown, and dangerous. Hot Pie looked like Hot Pie." (145)

"'Old stories are like old friends, she used to say. You have to visit them from time to time.'" (279)

"'Sometimes I think everyone is just pretending to be brave, and none of us really are. Maybe pretending is how you get brave, I don't know.'" (370)

"'Wedding have become more perilous than battles, it would seem.'" (711)

"Robb had become a hero king; if Jon was remembered at all, it would be as a turncloak, an oathbreaker, and a murderer." (830)
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
originally posted @ Novel Reveries

Thoughts on A Storm of Swords main characters:

-------------
Quotes:

"'Wedding have become more perilous than battles, it would seem.'" (711)

1 vote Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
From the perspective of one who is midway through Book 4, A Storm of Swords is the best of the series, especially coming after the dispiriting slog that was Book 2, A Clash of Kings. All the (surviving) major characters are represented and experience major developments, and almost every chapter seems to end in a cliff-hanger of some significance. It's a really good read that is difficult to put down, although its extreme length might weary some readers by the end, much like a great movie that's six hours long. Instead of reading Book 2, my wife used Season 2 of the TV adaptation to fill her in on its events, and skipped directly from Book 1 to Book 3. I kind of envy her that. Having read Books 1 and 3, she's experienced the best of the early part of the series and relatively little of its excesses and missteps. ( )
  john.cooper | Mar 6, 2014 |
Could we be heading for an ultimate conflict in which both sides are wrong and the right answer is being human and choosing the excluded middle? Wouldn’t that be cool if it were the case?
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 14, 2009)

With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055357342X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is George R.R. Martin for real? Can a fantasy epic actually get better with each new installment? Fans of the genre have glumly come to expect go-nowhere sequels from other authors, so we're entitled to pinch ourselves over Martin's tightly crafted Song of Ice and Fire series. The reports are all true: this series is the real deal, and Martin deserves his crown as the rightful king of the epic. A Game of Thrones got things off to a rock-solid start, A Clash of Kings only exceeded expectations, but it's the Storm of Swords hat trick that cements Martin's rep as the most praiseworthy fantasy author to come along since that other R.R.

Like the first two books, A Storm of Swords could coast on the fundamentals: deftly detailed characters, convincing voices and dialogue, a robust back-story, and a satisfyingly unpredictable plot. But it's Martin's consistently bold choices that set the series apart. Every character is fair game for the headman's axe (sometimes literally), and not only do the good guys regularly lose out to the bad guys, you're never exactly sure who you should be cheering for in the first place.

Storm is full of admirable intricacies. Events that you thought Martin was setting up solidly for the first two books are exposed as complex feints; the field quickly narrows after the Battle of the Blackwater and once again, anything goes. Robb tries desperately to hold the North together, Jon returns from the wildling lands with a torn heart, Bran continues his quest for the three-eyed crow beyond the Wall, Catelyn struggles to save her fragile family, Arya becomes ever more wolflike in her wanderings, Daenerys comes into her own, and Joffrey's cruel rule from King's Landing continues, making even his fellow Lannisters uneasy. Martin tests all the major characters in A Storm of Swords: some fail the trial, while others--like Martin himself--seem to only get stronger. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:47 -0400)

"Of the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others -- a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords"--Cover.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,481,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible