A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) (2000)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (3)

English (279)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (290)
great book! looking forward to the next one ( )
  mtopperFBTEST | Apr 22, 2015 |
Finally finished this book.. got distracted along the way and found this hard going at times. I started this series after seeing the TV series and I have found that every book deviates more and more from the programs. In some ways it is good - much more in-depth information about the history, the characters and the plots. But a bit confusing when there are big differences.. Sometimes I like the tv version best and other times it the books that really excel.

But, all in all, a fascinating read - only losing 1 star because sometimes I did get a bit lost, especially when the characters change and you don't realise it.. LOL. In part, my own fault, because I took so long to finish this book, in between my very diverse readings of other genres :)

Onwards to Book 4 !! ( )
  Mecaza | Mar 29, 2015 |
my personal favorite SoIaF book. Such a great plot and so engaging. Here, Martin is in the Series' prime, i cant see him making a proceding SoIaF book that will match the excellence of this one. (Though i've still got my fingers crossed) ( )
  nmg1 | Mar 20, 2015 |
I read this book after having watched most of the corresponding events on HBO’s Game of Thrones television series, so I didn’t have the same shocking moments that someone who read the books first would have. Also, having watched the show first, it likely affects my view as I’m reading the novel. Having said all of that, like the first two books in the series, A Storm of Swords is excellent. George R.R. Martin is a fantastic writer and very professional in every sense. As a fellow writer, I appreciate the talent and skill he possesses. Few writers that I have ever read can match Martin as a writer.

This novel is chocked full of amazing memorable scenes, most notably the Red and Purple Weddings. Why anyone in the world of A Song of Fire and Ice gets married is beyond me. Nothing good ever comes from these weddings. The battle at the wall with John Snow and the wildlings was also memorable. The one thing that holds me back from proclaiming this as sheer brilliance is that I enjoy the show more. One thing that limits the character development is that Martin only uses certain characters as viewpoint characters and some of the remaining characters aren’t developed as well, something that the show does a better job with. Still, this hardly detracts from my enjoyment of the novel, and I highly recommend it.

Carl Alves – author of Two For Eternity ( )
  Carl_Alves | Mar 19, 2015 |
The high fantasy series continues with the grim and deadly doing of Westeros, a place where weddings are more dangerous than battlefields. Dotrice's narration continues to make the series for me, providing an old-time storyteller's feel to the tales of adventure, intrigue, betrayal, and occasionally friendship and love. I've watched the tv series, and it appears for the most part that the tv series has only depicted events up to the end of this books, so I look forward to reading the next two published books completely unspoiled. ( )
  Othemts | Feb 25, 2015 |
Could we be heading for an ultimate conflict in which both sides are wrong and the right answer is being human and choosing the excluded middle? Wouldn’t that be cool if it were the case?
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 14, 2009)

With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055357342X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is George R.R. Martin for real? Can a fantasy epic actually get better with each new installment? Fans of the genre have glumly come to expect go-nowhere sequels from other authors, so we're entitled to pinch ourselves over Martin's tightly crafted Song of Ice and Fire series. The reports are all true: this series is the real deal, and Martin deserves his crown as the rightful king of the epic. A Game of Thrones got things off to a rock-solid start, A Clash of Kings only exceeded expectations, but it's the Storm of Swords hat trick that cements Martin's rep as the most praiseworthy fantasy author to come along since that other R.R.

Like the first two books, A Storm of Swords could coast on the fundamentals: deftly detailed characters, convincing voices and dialogue, a robust back-story, and a satisfyingly unpredictable plot. But it's Martin's consistently bold choices that set the series apart. Every character is fair game for the headman's axe (sometimes literally), and not only do the good guys regularly lose out to the bad guys, you're never exactly sure who you should be cheering for in the first place.

Storm is full of admirable intricacies. Events that you thought Martin was setting up solidly for the first two books are exposed as complex feints; the field quickly narrows after the Battle of the Blackwater and once again, anything goes. Robb tries desperately to hold the North together, Jon returns from the wildling lands with a torn heart, Bran continues his quest for the three-eyed crow beyond the Wall, Catelyn struggles to save her fragile family, Arya becomes ever more wolflike in her wanderings, Daenerys comes into her own, and Joffrey's cruel rule from King's Landing continues, making even his fellow Lannisters uneasy. Martin tests all the major characters in A Storm of Swords: some fail the trial, while others--like Martin himself--seem to only get stronger. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:47 -0400)

"Of the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others -- a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords"--Cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,738,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible