A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin

A Storm of Swords (2000)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (3)

Recently added byprivate library, ankney1, MarBerth, davidkuklis, michaeleen, ainsworthe

English (268)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (278)
This has been my favorite book in the series so far. I've heard that a lot of people enjoy the second book more, which I understand, but this book was so full of surprises that I have to give the top spot to this one.

It's rare to catch me completely off guard. Even if I don't know exactly what is going to happen, I can normally guess that something in the general area of what happens, but this book floored me multiple times. I actually spent a total of about 15 minutes staring into space completely stunned and unable to put words into sentence form. I feel that people walking by me (I read one of these surprises in a mall) thought I was slightly deranged.

In most books and even TV shows and movies, there is a kind of formula that is followed making the majority of the plot rather predictable. Sometimes this formula is broken and George R.R. Martin is one of those authors who has done just that. Even though I was warned to expect the unexpected when reading this series, I still found myself believing that certain things would happen based on this formula. So, when this book broke from this formula it was still a shock. And this is what makes me love this series.

I have also noticed that the issues I had been having with the first and second book are becoming less and less. The internal dialogue has been brought down to a minimum, and when it does happen it is not completely superfluous like the majority of it was before. His descriptions of food are still there, but now I can tell when they are coming and am able to gloss over them so I don't get bogged down with the sheer amount of food that I don't care about.

My only main issue with this book is that I still find Bran really boring. Not much happens with him in this book and I tend to find him whiny and rather annoying. It eventually came to a point in the book that when a Bran section came up I rolled my eyes. For me, he acted more as an irritating road block to the really exciting things that were going on with the far more interesting characters. I'm hoping that Bran's character fills out eventually, and that something happens with him other then him having dire wolf dreams.

Despite how much I loved this book, I couldn't give it a 5/5 for those couple of reasons that are still big enough issues to dock it a couple of points. However, this book is pretty amazing and for those who haven't gotten to this book yet, just be prepared to be surprised. ( )
  kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
After taking a break after book two because I couldn't handle the never-ending despair of Martin's world, I really enjoyed this one. Yes, it is still grim and, yes, nothing good will ever happen. But I once again was drawn in by the richness of Martin's characters. I hate watching what happens to them and yet? I want to know, even with the characters I hate. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
2/2: okay FINALLY started this in earnest as it has been languishing forever on my kindle and by the end of the first chapter i had ordered a paperback copy because it is ridiculous how tiny the maps are on the e-reader version. (Not sure why it didn't bother me for the other two books.) it's also pretty clear that I forgot a lot of what happened at the end of ACoK (didn't help that I accidentally skipped a few chapters, oop). ALSO WHY IS THIS BOOK 1000 PAGES lawdhavemercy

3/15: I stayed up all night for three nights in a row to barrel through the last half of the book. like everyone else, my reaction was "holy shit. HOLY SHIT!" and I started skimming and skipping ahead because I couldn't handle waiting to find out what happened.

4.5 stars because wtf was that bullshit naruto-ish like epilogue. ( )
  megantron | Jan 2, 2015 |
More great work from George RR martin. Too much to go into detail wise but now the long wait for books 6 and 7 in the series. ( )
  ozzieslim | Dec 27, 2014 |
Could we be heading for an ultimate conflict in which both sides are wrong and the right answer is being human and choosing the excluded middle? Wouldn’t that be cool if it were the case?
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 14, 2009)

With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055357342X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is George R.R. Martin for real? Can a fantasy epic actually get better with each new installment? Fans of the genre have glumly come to expect go-nowhere sequels from other authors, so we're entitled to pinch ourselves over Martin's tightly crafted Song of Ice and Fire series. The reports are all true: this series is the real deal, and Martin deserves his crown as the rightful king of the epic. A Game of Thrones got things off to a rock-solid start, A Clash of Kings only exceeded expectations, but it's the Storm of Swords hat trick that cements Martin's rep as the most praiseworthy fantasy author to come along since that other R.R.

Like the first two books, A Storm of Swords could coast on the fundamentals: deftly detailed characters, convincing voices and dialogue, a robust back-story, and a satisfyingly unpredictable plot. But it's Martin's consistently bold choices that set the series apart. Every character is fair game for the headman's axe (sometimes literally), and not only do the good guys regularly lose out to the bad guys, you're never exactly sure who you should be cheering for in the first place.

Storm is full of admirable intricacies. Events that you thought Martin was setting up solidly for the first two books are exposed as complex feints; the field quickly narrows after the Battle of the Blackwater and once again, anything goes. Robb tries desperately to hold the North together, Jon returns from the wildling lands with a torn heart, Bran continues his quest for the three-eyed crow beyond the Wall, Catelyn struggles to save her fragile family, Arya becomes ever more wolflike in her wanderings, Daenerys comes into her own, and Joffrey's cruel rule from King's Landing continues, making even his fellow Lannisters uneasy. Martin tests all the major characters in A Storm of Swords: some fail the trial, while others--like Martin himself--seem to only get stronger. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:47 -0400)

"Of the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others -- a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords"--Cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,123,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible