A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin

A Storm of Swords (2000)

by George R. R. Martin

Series: A Song of Ice and Fire (3)

Wizard And Glass by Stephen King (asha.leu)
    The Gap into Conflict: The Real Story / The Gap into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge by Stephen Donaldson (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: One is SF the other Fantasy, they may seem very different. But they're both epic in scope, both at the darker end of the human condition, and the writing style is similar. Both tell much larger stories than just the action of the 'hero'.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Sandwich76)

English (356)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (367)
I want my happy endings, there are so many stories and levels and possible happy endings if only these unyielding stubborn people would bend a little. There is no over arching love couple but there are couples and explicit sexual content
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Started reading this one directly after finishing the second one. This series is addicting! ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
Umm, okay, wow. Even though I knew most of what was going to happen thanks to watching the television show before reading the book, this book was still like a slap in the face (but in a good way). A LOT happens in this book: The Red Wedding (noooooooooo Robb), Joffrey's assassination, Tyrion's trial, Jaime losing his hand and returning to King's Landing, Tywin's death, Shae's death, Jon's foray into wildling territory, Ygritte's death (noooooooooooooooooooo), the "deaths" of Bran and Rickon, and Dany taking the slave cities by storm - and that is JUST TO NAME SOME OF IT. Literally, the book drags a bit at first, but then it's like all of this intense payoff that has been building for YEARS finally happens, and you're left standing there thinking - what just happened? GRRM just burned this shit to the ground!

Can I say how much I love the character of Olenna Tyrell? She is seriously one of my faves.

I have to admit that I like certain characters' chapters more than others'. I'm always digging Tyrion's chapters, as well as Jaime's. Sansa's are pretty good too, as are Jon's. But I'm so over Bran and Arya, and every time I see their names I just want to sigh.

WTF, Catelyn is a zombie? I...need this in my life.

There are a few differences from the TV series - the main one being, in my mind, Robb's marriage to Jeyne Westerling. In the TV series, he marries who he marries because he's kind of in lust. In the books, he marries who he marries because he's doing his duty and what he believes to be honorable. That really makes him very much like Ned, which makes his death even sadder, in my eyes.

I was planning on taking a break from the ASOIAF books and read something else, but now I'm not sure that I can do that. AFFC is calling my name, dang it! ( )
  schatzi | Apr 8, 2019 |
Wow. That was an amazing read.

I stopped reading fantasy a long time ago because I'd grown bored by the sameness about most of it. A Storm of Swords certainly shook me from my stupor. It's got elements to entertain everyone - Fans of mystery and intrigue; lovers or high magic or epic fantasy; people longing for romance; war tacticians: All will appreciate the intricate plotting, strong characters and heady narrative. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Book 3 of "A Song of Ice and Fire" - often referred to as the" Game of Thrones" series- certainly lives up to all expectations. As "A Storm of Swords" begins, Lords and self-proclaimed Kings continue their wars to maintain control of their own territory and expand their power beyond existing borders. It is now obvious the ‘game of thrones' will mean brutal battle to the last man, accomplished through a combination of physical brawn, sheer wit, and unwavering faith. Mythical as the entire story appears, the politically-strategic arranged marriages remind me of real-life European politics of the 1800s. It didn’t work then and it doesn’t appear to be working for the Royalty of Westeros.

The saga continues with the Stark children, the decadent Lannisters (featuring Tyrion the dwarf), the exotic Dragon lady and her entourage, the barbaric Wildings beyond the Wall, the courageous Brothers of the Night Watch, and Stannis along with his Red Woman, the witch.

You’ll find an abundance of intrigue, manipulation, and suspense… each chapter ending with a ‘cliff-hanger’. Just when you think you have the plot figured out, George R. R. Martin pulls the rug out from under you. A favorite character dies or some crazy new plot unfolds. Someone you were sure was facing imminent death makes a daring escape. There are imposters, spies, and traitors. And occasionally a character presumed dead, makes a miraculous come-back. There are plenty of villains to grind your teeth at and strong powerful women- some to love and some to loathe. "A Storm of Swords" is not for sissies. Even those characters who seem to be civilized human beings practice barbaric violence and unrestrained sex.

No spoilers here, but as the "A Storm of Swords" ends, many questions are left unanswered:
- Will the Stark children ever meet up again?
- Will Sansa ever stop being a naïve fool?
- Will Daenerys ever make it back to Westeros?
- And what ever happened to Edmure, Edric, Rickon, Bran, The Hound, and Hodor – Hodor– where’s Hodor– huh?

George R. R. Martin has a wonderful imagination, a great sense of humor, and a talent for story-telling… a universal gift now published in 30 languages offering hours of enchanting entertainment. Who knows what awaits in book 4, "A Feast of Crows"! ( )
  LadyLo | Mar 12, 2019 |
With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

Martin, George R. R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055357342X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is George R.R. Martin for real? Can a fantasy epic actually get better with each new installment? Fans of the genre have glumly come to expect go-nowhere sequels from other authors, so we're entitled to pinch ourselves over Martin's tightly crafted Song of Ice and Fire series. The reports are all true: this series is the real deal, and Martin deserves his crown as the rightful king of the epic. A Game of Thrones got things off to a rock-solid start, A Clash of Kings only exceeded expectations, but it's the Storm of Swords hat trick that cements Martin's rep as the most praiseworthy fantasy author to come along since that other R.R.

Like the first two books, A Storm of Swords could coast on the fundamentals: deftly detailed characters, convincing voices and dialogue, a robust back-story, and a satisfyingly unpredictable plot. But it's Martin's consistently bold choices that set the series apart. Every character is fair game for the headman's axe (sometimes literally), and not only do the good guys regularly lose out to the bad guys, you're never exactly sure who you should be cheering for in the first place.

Storm is full of admirable intricacies. Events that you thought Martin was setting up solidly for the first two books are exposed as complex feints; the field quickly narrows after the Battle of the Blackwater and once again, anything goes. Robb tries desperately to hold the North together, Jon returns from the wildling lands with a torn heart, Bran continues his quest for the three-eyed crow beyond the Wall, Catelyn struggles to save her fragile family, Arya becomes ever more wolflike in her wanderings, Daenerys comes into her own, and Joffrey's cruel rule from King's Landing continues, making even his fellow Lannisters uneasy. Martin tests all the major characters in A Storm of Swords: some fail the trial, while others--like Martin himself--seem to only get stronger. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

"Of the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others--a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,469,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible