A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) (original 2000; edition 2003)

by George R.R. Martin

Member:icerider
Title:A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 1216 pages
Rating:*****

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin (2000)

Recently added byesterlibrarian, narry, r0byn, private library, JurgenJacobs, amilligan, Amayaelika, thebigidea

English (285)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  German (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (296)
The battle for the seven Kingdoms continues in this, the third in the Game of Throne series. We visit with John and finally come to understand who, or what, the Wildlings are and Castle Black is under siege. Tyrion is again embroiled in espionage against the throne, and the Starks are trying to make amends for damaged allegiances. All of the main characters in the story have been separated by various circumstances and as they begin to draw achingly close to each other again the battles continue and the intrigue deepens.
I’ve mentioned in other reviews that series books have habit of becoming a little “pat” and overly comfortable. Not so with Mr. Martin’s Game of Thrones. No “cookie cutter” in this series! He has the ability to keep the reader interested and the action moving along at a breathtaking pace. Every page seems to bring new intrigue to the story, and this book is no exception. There were several times when I was shocked and totally devastated by what happened to the characters. These books would definitely appeal to a large audience of readers … not just lovers of fantasy fiction.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Holy. Poop. That last chapter though.

Great, awesome, amazing. Listening to the audiobook (which is how I "read" this) and watching the show are two similar, yet entirely different experiences. I can't wait for the next book (starting immediately) and for some of the things from Storm of Swords to show up in the HBO show. ( )
  Ellie.Pelto | Jul 7, 2015 |
When I read Game of Thrones, I fell in love with it. I recommended it to everyone who could read.

Storm of Swords is even better.

The pacing here is faster, the stakes higher and more personal, and the writing seems effortless, as does each intricate plot turn and change in character. ( )
  NateGreen | Jun 8, 2015 |
The third book in 'The Song of Ice and Fire' series continues with more surprises than I thought possible. Just when I thought I knew what would happen next, the plot twisted and threw a series of curves at me.
Written from the point of view of various characters, the author is able to more fully develop his characters. None of the characters is totally good or totally evil, and thus it is hard to predict their actions. This kept my interest peaked and the pages turning. And also unlike many of the more predictable novels, Martin has no problem killing off his main characters. These facts make the story more true to life and could be a living history of the middle ages.
I would recommend this book to any fan of fantasy books. The world Martin creates is on par with that of Tolkien, and I believe he will be regarded in the same light.
  NPJacobsen | Jun 2, 2015 |
Rarely have I hated an author so much for what he does to my favourite character(s) as I did Martin in A Storm of Swords. I absolutely devoured the third book of the magnificent Game of Thrones series and find it the best one till now.

Nearly every character plot is worthy of a book of its own. It really feels like you're reading five (great) books in parallel. I'm glad however I found the time to finish this book in a relatively short span of time. I don't think I would be able to capture the whole story line if I read it in chunks and bits. From time to time it was tough to remember what was going on where and who knew about what.

George Martin made me love hated characters and despise loved ones even more than Ken Follet has. I admire that in an author.

Anyhow, I found myself hoping the book would never end and sat staring at the wall for a few minutes after it did. Too bad I don't have the fourth one with me here. I'll have to wait for almost a week before I can start tearing it apart! :-( ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
Could we be heading for an ultimate conflict in which both sides are wrong and the right answer is being human and choosing the excluded middle? Wouldn’t that be cool if it were the case?
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 14, 2009)

With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055357342X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is George R.R. Martin for real? Can a fantasy epic actually get better with each new installment? Fans of the genre have glumly come to expect go-nowhere sequels from other authors, so we're entitled to pinch ourselves over Martin's tightly crafted Song of Ice and Fire series. The reports are all true: this series is the real deal, and Martin deserves his crown as the rightful king of the epic. A Game of Thrones got things off to a rock-solid start, A Clash of Kings only exceeded expectations, but it's the Storm of Swords hat trick that cements Martin's rep as the most praiseworthy fantasy author to come along since that other R.R.

Like the first two books, A Storm of Swords could coast on the fundamentals: deftly detailed characters, convincing voices and dialogue, a robust back-story, and a satisfyingly unpredictable plot. But it's Martin's consistently bold choices that set the series apart. Every character is fair game for the headman's axe (sometimes literally), and not only do the good guys regularly lose out to the bad guys, you're never exactly sure who you should be cheering for in the first place.

Storm is full of admirable intricacies. Events that you thought Martin was setting up solidly for the first two books are exposed as complex feints; the field quickly narrows after the Battle of the Blackwater and once again, anything goes. Robb tries desperately to hold the North together, Jon returns from the wildling lands with a torn heart, Bran continues his quest for the three-eyed crow beyond the Wall, Catelyn struggles to save her fragile family, Arya becomes ever more wolflike in her wanderings, Daenerys comes into her own, and Joffrey's cruel rule from King's Landing continues, making even his fellow Lannisters uneasy. Martin tests all the major characters in A Storm of Swords: some fail the trial, while others--like Martin himself--seem to only get stronger. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

"Of the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others -- a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords"--Cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,436,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible