A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) (original 2000; edition 2000)

by George R. R. Martin

Member:cwebb
Title:A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3)
Authors:George R. R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2000), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 992 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, a song of ice and fire

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin (2000)

English (254)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (264)
So far, this is my favorite one in the series. But ... nothing good ever happens - it's just one depressing event after another. ( )
  kwbridge | Sep 6, 2014 |
For the first hundred pages or so I was not convinced that this was the same writer as the prior two books but as things went on it was clear that Martin is there and is an amazing writer. The twists and turns are amazing and I'm continually impressed with the writing and will read anything Martin puts out there! I have not seen any of the shows but hear that they follow the books pretty well. I'm happy with the books so I will continue to read. ( )
  gopfolk | Sep 3, 2014 |
In spite of the time it took me to finish reading the book, so far this is probably the best book of the series. There isn't much I can say about it without giving out any spoilers so, being as generic as I can be, I can say that there is a lot of betrayal, lots of completely unexpected deaths (or maybe not so unexpected, but things you didn't think would happen so "early"), a LOT of action and a lot of potential for the next books! ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
Rating: 3.5 of 5

Good grief. What's the point anymore, if everyone's going to die anyway?!

It's all about the journey, not the destination?

But if death - the ultimate danger, the biggest threat to one's favorite character(s) - is inevitable in these books, then why should I care about anyone or anything in the story?

Where's the fun in everyone dies, few get their comeuppance? It's as if Martin doesn't want me to connect with anyone in the story... doesn't want me to care. So if I don't care, what's the point in reading thousands of pages?!

And the brutality is relentless. No one catches a break, ever. It's exhausting. I'd rather use my valuable reading time for something else and watch the Game of Thrones TV show instead. Never thought I'd say that.

P.S. Jon Snow has been my favorite through all three books I've read; however, I cannot continue reading the series for fear he'll either 1) become a different (less honorable) person or 2) get killed (purely for shock value because Martin loves to kill off characters just to say he did). ( )
  flying_monkeys | Aug 20, 2014 |
Another fantastic volume of the series. The character development was excellent. Good or bad - yeah, but human. Some I hated & learned to respect, some I disliked more, but in every case, it was a full blown person, not just a fantasy hero or villain.

The story took some excellent twists & turns, too. I've been reading fantasy for over 40 years & too often anticipate the direction a story HAS to go. Martin breaks the rules or transcends them. The story is so much larger than just the brick I'm reading, so the individual characters have more freedom of movement. Sound confusing? Well this book really opens up the ages & while we're passing through months, Martin makes us aware that centuries have come together to create this chaotic time. The game of thrones is really just a small piece of the action. The world is much wider than the bit of Westros we're shown & other forces are coming to play.

Truly an epic fantasy on par with the Lord of the Rings. I hope HBO does as much justice to this book as they did to the first. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Could we be heading for an ultimate conflict in which both sides are wrong and the right answer is being human and choosing the excluded middle? Wouldn’t that be cool if it were the case?
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 14, 2009)

With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055357342X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is George R.R. Martin for real? Can a fantasy epic actually get better with each new installment? Fans of the genre have glumly come to expect go-nowhere sequels from other authors, so we're entitled to pinch ourselves over Martin's tightly crafted Song of Ice and Fire series. The reports are all true: this series is the real deal, and Martin deserves his crown as the rightful king of the epic. A Game of Thrones got things off to a rock-solid start, A Clash of Kings only exceeded expectations, but it's the Storm of Swords hat trick that cements Martin's rep as the most praiseworthy fantasy author to come along since that other R.R.

Like the first two books, A Storm of Swords could coast on the fundamentals: deftly detailed characters, convincing voices and dialogue, a robust back-story, and a satisfyingly unpredictable plot. But it's Martin's consistently bold choices that set the series apart. Every character is fair game for the headman's axe (sometimes literally), and not only do the good guys regularly lose out to the bad guys, you're never exactly sure who you should be cheering for in the first place.

Storm is full of admirable intricacies. Events that you thought Martin was setting up solidly for the first two books are exposed as complex feints; the field quickly narrows after the Battle of the Blackwater and once again, anything goes. Robb tries desperately to hold the North together, Jon returns from the wildling lands with a torn heart, Bran continues his quest for the three-eyed crow beyond the Wall, Catelyn struggles to save her fragile family, Arya becomes ever more wolflike in her wanderings, Daenerys comes into her own, and Joffrey's cruel rule from King's Landing continues, making even his fellow Lannisters uneasy. Martin tests all the major characters in A Storm of Swords: some fail the trial, while others--like Martin himself--seem to only get stronger. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:47 -0400)

"Of the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others -- a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords"--Cover.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,711,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible