SantaThing sign up ends in 37 minutes (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) (original 2000; edition 2000)

by George R. R. Martin

Member:cwebb
Title:A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3)
Authors:George R. R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2000), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 992 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, a song of ice and fire

A Storm Of Swords by George R. R. Martin (2000)

English (324)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  French (2)  English (1)  Hungarian (1)  English (335)
This is by far the best book in the series thus far. It more than held my interest and there was so much going on in addition to a few surprises. I loved it. On to the next! ( )
  Heather_Brock | Nov 23, 2016 |
OK, so the first book I gave 3 stars and this one I gave 2 and 1/2. I read the second volume too, but didn't review it, so this review for Storm of Swords includes my general feelings about Clash of Kings as well. First, I came to the book, as many did, as a fan of the HBO series. The books are fairly easy to read, if you don't get bogged down with the overwhelming number of names. A lot happens in the third volume, such as 'the Red Wedding' and Joffrey's wedding, as well as Tyrion's trial by combat and his escape, it will all be very familiar to the show's viewers. There were at least two surprises having to do with the Red Wedding -- one having to do with a character that was killed in the series, but not in the book and another with a character who seems to be resurrected in the book, but not (as yet) in the series.

What I didn't like about the books is that the more I read, the more uncomfortable I became with how often rape was used as a punishment, a threat, and simply for sport. And there is little to no outrage by any of the characters about it. One minor character was gang-raped by, according to the book, 50 guardsmen, and she is chastised or made fun-of for her blubbering. She is brought up again and again as a pathetic, annoying person because of her reaction to what happened to her. This 'trope', for what else can you call it, loses its shock value, and what is most disturbing is how undisturbed one is when it is used to describe yet another episode of the same about another girl, or group of men or whatever. I'm getting less and less interested in the battles, the different players, the descriptions of yet another castle. I guess I'm still reading the series just to see if and how it diverges from the TV show. So far except for the non-stop rapes versus the occasional rape, not very much. As the HBO series will have its last season coming up, I'm wondering how the show will tie up all the story lines and whether the books will just keep going on and on. Anyway, not sure I will continue with the series. ( )
  Marse | Nov 23, 2016 |
The longest and possibly my favorite out of the three I've read. Martin has a way of surprising you when you think you can't be surprised anymore. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
More action-packed than the first two installments, and with writing that is on par with the first. That awful bore Catelyn gets killed, finally, though the Red Wedding is one of the few major events that doesn't seem forced or unnatural. The death of Joffrey, for instance, comes across as a little too tidy. But these events save the plot from ending, I guess, and for that we should be thankful. Excited to read the next. ( )
  Algybama | Sep 21, 2016 |
Whhhaaaaaattttt... In the hell.

Gonna have to gather my thoughts about this one. That last chapter...

Holy hell. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
Could we be heading for an ultimate conflict in which both sides are wrong and the right answer is being human and choosing the excluded middle? Wouldn’t that be cool if it were the case?
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 14, 2009)

With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055357342X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is George R.R. Martin for real? Can a fantasy epic actually get better with each new installment? Fans of the genre have glumly come to expect go-nowhere sequels from other authors, so we're entitled to pinch ourselves over Martin's tightly crafted Song of Ice and Fire series. The reports are all true: this series is the real deal, and Martin deserves his crown as the rightful king of the epic. A Game of Thrones got things off to a rock-solid start, A Clash of Kings only exceeded expectations, but it's the Storm of Swords hat trick that cements Martin's rep as the most praiseworthy fantasy author to come along since that other R.R.

Like the first two books, A Storm of Swords could coast on the fundamentals: deftly detailed characters, convincing voices and dialogue, a robust back-story, and a satisfyingly unpredictable plot. But it's Martin's consistently bold choices that set the series apart. Every character is fair game for the headman's axe (sometimes literally), and not only do the good guys regularly lose out to the bad guys, you're never exactly sure who you should be cheering for in the first place.

Storm is full of admirable intricacies. Events that you thought Martin was setting up solidly for the first two books are exposed as complex feints; the field quickly narrows after the Battle of the Blackwater and once again, anything goes. Robb tries desperately to hold the North together, Jon returns from the wildling lands with a torn heart, Bran continues his quest for the three-eyed crow beyond the Wall, Catelyn struggles to save her fragile family, Arya becomes ever more wolflike in her wanderings, Daenerys comes into her own, and Joffrey's cruel rule from King's Landing continues, making even his fellow Lannisters uneasy. Martin tests all the major characters in A Storm of Swords: some fail the trial, while others--like Martin himself--seem to only get stronger. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

"Of the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others -- a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords"--Cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,651,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible