A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) (original 2000; edition 2000)

by George R. R. Martin

Member:cwebb
Title:A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3)
Authors:George R. R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2000), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 992 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, a song of ice and fire

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin (2000)

English (262)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (272)
I just couldn't give book 3 a perfect score. I'm going against popular opinion here. I am aware that the deaths are shocking. I was spoiled for two of them, the rest, not at all. But the unexpected murders themselves did not touch me or barely did. Although the final image of the epilogue was brilliantly written. So much suffering and sadness of that last imagery couldn't be tainted by the death count.

I'm rating book 3 highly for its plot and nice pacing, for its sense of drama, and for its consistency and dogged imagination. Heaven only knows how many authors have sat to write such a hefty novel and wither away and fall by the wayside, guilty of overambition. George R.R. Martin must have been supremely confident, he must have known about the most important details of his book before writing them. But enough praise.

As it took me quite some time to read book 3, the initial part of the book escapes my memory, eidetic as it's not. From my remembrance I can barely state what the prologue was about. It couldn't be about Davos again. That's the problem, I don't remember, the words have vanished from my mind. That is maybe the reader's fault and not the book's but what if this is true for many average readers? Does that validates my shortcomings? Enough questions.

I think a lot of stuff is beginning to be repeated in the plotting of A Storm of swords. Though this medieval world must be going through a sort of Golden Age as to the many ways for killing a person, there are not as many ways as in our real world. No bullets, no electrocution, no death by tampering with brakes. SPOILERS AHEAD... Joffrey was poisoned the same way as the Maester Cressen. Lysa was pushed from a height, Robb died in base treachery, like his father ( that's kind of a stretch). Apart from deaths, there's the arc of Tyrion, imprisoned and championed by a knight. Fake Renly, fake Arya. Enough nitpicking. In fact enough reviewing! I'll be reading book 4 tomorrow. Can't wait. ( )
  Jiraiya | Nov 16, 2014 |
I'm three books in and this is my favorite so far!
The first was great, the second a little less, but in this one you already love, hate, respect or despise the characters, and it extends the scope of possibilities for every single character.

There are absolutely shocking situations and turns of events, and some great new characters. But try not to get too attached because George Martin takes the phrase seriously in this one: Valar Morghulis ( )
  gutohernandes | Nov 14, 2014 |
Man. I forgot a lot of this book from the first time I read it. I thought half of the third season on the TV show ‘Game of Thrones’ was taken from the fourth book but the as far as I can see the majority of it came from this third book. Then again, I can’t remember much of the fourth book either. It seems that on my first read of this series everything sort of melded together. It has been quite a few years. That’s why series like these deserve a reread every decade or two. Especially when it takes that long to write the series. I’m almost caught up to where I ended the first time. Back then the fifth book A Dance with Dragons wasn’t out yet. I’m looking forward to that one, with its new material. Anyways, as for this book, it’s as much a masterpiece as the first two books, although it might have been more heart wrenching than either of the first two. There are a lot of deaths in this third volume. And it’s not like the deaths of the people the readers hate are that satisfying either, because the consequences of those deaths hurt so many other people in the aftermath as revenge is taken. It’s a never ending cycle of hate. It’s a hard book to read at parts. I avoided the book for a few days because I didn’t want to listen/read about the Red Wedding. I knew it was coming and I knew it would devastate me all over again. It’s funny, the way a lot of us flock to books and mangas and shows and movies that are so depressing. And yet we love them. It is interesting to reread these books after watching the TV show. It really puts life to some of the characters. I can really picture the direwolfs now. And some of the lesser characters have faces to them. But the books are where the magic started and where they stay. It’s not an easy read, but I have to say that if you haven’t read these books, they deserve your nose in their pages. ( )
  Kassilem | Nov 9, 2014 |
A Storm of Swords is the third book of the Song of Ice and Fire series. You really need to read the first book, A Game of Thrones, first. This review may contain spoilers for the first two books.

While I was still at the beginning of this book, someone made a comment to me about George R.R. Martin killing off so many characters. My response was something along the lines of “well, actually there hasn’t been any major character deaths since Ned Stark in the first book.”

Then I reached the Red Wedding, and I realized what everyone was talking about. Suffice to say that there’s a number of major character deaths, both of POV characters and others. Luckily, none of my favorites died so I didn’t feel too upset. I was more shocked than anything else.

The character deaths were timely – there were just so many character that it was beginning to feel overwhelming. There were ten POV characters, and as a consequence hundreds of pages would go by before we picked up with the character again. This was especially frustrating when a character’s section ended on a cliff hanger and when their chapter had come around again, I’d already forgotten that they were in danger.

Despite the explosion of characters, I think A Storm of Swords might be my favorite of the series so far. I appreciated that not all the major twists and turns took place at the end, and I didn’t dislike any of these POV characters. There was also a twist in the epilogue which makes me excited for the next book.

If you’re on the third book, I figure that you already know how violent and such the series is, so I won’t bother going over any of those issues. Go read my reviews of the first two books if you want to know what I think about it.

If you've been a fan of the first two books, I don’t see any reason to be disappointed in the third installment.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Oct 22, 2014 |
GRRM finally, almost grudgingly, earns four stars from me.

Things I liked: Jon's story in the second half of the book, SAM, Jaime's story because it was entertaining, Joffrey's big day , Hodor Hodor-ing, Davos, some of the Daenerys stuff (surprisingly, given she's been one of my least favourite characters until now).

Things I didn't like so much: Catelyn (STOP MEDDLING IT NEVER TURNS OUT WELL), Sansa (I DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU ANYMORE), how Arya seemed to keep just getting shifted about all over the place and nothing of any real value happened in her storyline because I love her, the Red Wedding (which was good but telegraphed completely), Jaime's story because it did feel a bit like GRRM was just going SURPRISE HE WAS GOOD ALL ALONG for no real reason except that he felt like it, Robb's continuing lack of personality, everything with Jon and the Wildlings (but that was mostly because doublecross stories always make me feel uncomfortable and sad).

I DID like more than I disliked, despite the list. These books are hugely flawed, and there's a lot not to like, but I did enjoy them. However, I'm stopping here, at least until the last two are published. I've been well enough warned that this is a good time to get out, and frankly, given that there's every chance we'd be waiting another six years or so just to see Winds of Winter, I don't want to get to invested in something that, in the opinions of anyone I trust about books, declines pretty badly over books four and five. I have too many other things to read. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Could we be heading for an ultimate conflict in which both sides are wrong and the right answer is being human and choosing the excluded middle? Wouldn’t that be cool if it were the case?
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 14, 2009)

With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055357342X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is George R.R. Martin for real? Can a fantasy epic actually get better with each new installment? Fans of the genre have glumly come to expect go-nowhere sequels from other authors, so we're entitled to pinch ourselves over Martin's tightly crafted Song of Ice and Fire series. The reports are all true: this series is the real deal, and Martin deserves his crown as the rightful king of the epic. A Game of Thrones got things off to a rock-solid start, A Clash of Kings only exceeded expectations, but it's the Storm of Swords hat trick that cements Martin's rep as the most praiseworthy fantasy author to come along since that other R.R.

Like the first two books, A Storm of Swords could coast on the fundamentals: deftly detailed characters, convincing voices and dialogue, a robust back-story, and a satisfyingly unpredictable plot. But it's Martin's consistently bold choices that set the series apart. Every character is fair game for the headman's axe (sometimes literally), and not only do the good guys regularly lose out to the bad guys, you're never exactly sure who you should be cheering for in the first place.

Storm is full of admirable intricacies. Events that you thought Martin was setting up solidly for the first two books are exposed as complex feints; the field quickly narrows after the Battle of the Blackwater and once again, anything goes. Robb tries desperately to hold the North together, Jon returns from the wildling lands with a torn heart, Bran continues his quest for the three-eyed crow beyond the Wall, Catelyn struggles to save her fragile family, Arya becomes ever more wolflike in her wanderings, Daenerys comes into her own, and Joffrey's cruel rule from King's Landing continues, making even his fellow Lannisters uneasy. Martin tests all the major characters in A Storm of Swords: some fail the trial, while others--like Martin himself--seem to only get stronger. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:47 -0400)

"Of the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others -- a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords"--Cover.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,917,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible