A storm of swords by George R. R. Martin

A storm of swords (2000)

by George R. R. Martin

Recently added byprivate library, eden1013, Charles678, eba1999, AlexGriffin, romanlibrary, cerosilva

English (322)  Spanish (4)  German (3)  French (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (333)
More action-packed than the first two installments, and with writing that is on par with the first. That awful bore Catelyn gets killed, finally, though the Red Wedding is one of the few major events that doesn't seem forced or unnatural. The death of Joffrey, for instance, comes across as a little too tidy. But these events save the plot from ending, I guess, and for that we should be thankful. Excited to read the next. ( )
  Algybama | Sep 21, 2016 |
Whhhaaaaaattttt... In the hell.

Gonna have to gather my thoughts about this one. That last chapter...

Holy hell. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
I can say that I'm proud of myself for finishing this book in less than a month and I can also say that I've enjoyed every word and page of this book. I cannot explain to you how mind-blowing this book was. Probably the best so far, can't judge for I haven't completed the series but so far it's the best. The characters, the scenes, the language used in this book is beyond amazing, I really don't know how George R. R. Martin comes up with such words and descriptions of characters and events but he's one hell of a gifted writer.

In this book we come to know more about Lysa, Catelyn's sister. How they killed her baby from Littlefinger, who did it and why, which made her suffer her whole life until she became pregnant from Jon Arryn.

Sansa being in love with Ser Loras but then she becomes disappointed when she learns that she is to be wedded to Ser Wallis who's the crippled brother of Loras and Margery. I felt sorry for Sansa in this book for what she has gone through. I wonder how she's keeping it together with everything that has happened to her and knowing that she's the reason that King Joeffery is dead, well that was something. I did't expect Ser Dontos to have a hand in it but he did and the one who was arranging all of this was of course Littlefinger (I hate him).

There is one character which I loved in the T.V. show but hated in the books. It's Robb Stark, God how stupid he was. Doing stupid things just because Jeyne nursed him and not listening to his own mother, no wonder he got killed and Jeyne stayed alive. I wonder if she had a hand in his murder. Hammy well I guess I'll never know until I read the 4th or 5th book.

The description of Brienne of Tarth is outrageous, I mean how ugly can a woman be hehe. The words said to her or about her are really awful and she doesn't seem to care. But I loved her more and more in the books and how devoted and honourable she was.

Now, let's move on to Jaime Lannister who was really awful and wicked in the beginning of this book until the end when his character has changed dramatically after he knew that his sister was sleeping with other men just to get to what she wants. That broke his heart and made him realise the things he's done in his life and how she wanted to repent or do something honourable which was saving Sansa even after he knew that she killed his son. I also liked how they changed his look in the book, he became bald with a long beard. I kept imagining his face without hair.

Deaneries comes to know of Ser Jorah's unfaithfulness and banishing him as a punishment. She couldn't kill him because (from my point of view) she had feelings for him but couldn't or wouldn't admit, on the other hand he did admit that he loved her and he wanted her forgiveness but she didn't grant him that. Poor old man. I love his character a lot.

In this book, we also get to know more about The Night Shift and The Wildlings. How the night shift was created. Who was in control and how it became under Jon Snow's control. At the end of this book he becomes Lord Commander and thinks of how he'll fight Stannis Baratheon. I felt sad for him and Ygritte, i think they would have made a great couple if she had survived in this series. She was a wildling by heart, she loved Jon deeply but she couldn't abandon her people, the same thing applies on Jon Snow. So sad :(

Oh and the ending was WOOOOW. I didn't see that coming. Now I can't wait to see/read what will happen or what she'll do! ( )
1 vote books.paper.mania | Sep 13, 2016 |
A storm of swords stands out as probably the best in the A Song of Ice and Fire series of books, with more iconic moments than any of the others, possibly the most horrific content in the entire series and several character arcs that manage to bring significant and interesting change to the characters. Like the rest of the series, the mere number of point-of-view characters ought to give everyone something they enjoy, and though you might not like all of them you can focus your attention on the ones you do and still come out with a satisfying experience. The environments are just as varied and interesting as the characters and you will end up immersing yourself into what feels like a living, breathing world. The graphic content and themes can at times feel like they're there for cheap shock-value but to some extent it always serves a purpose and never distracts you enough to take away any of the enjoyment. This book does take the horror and gore from the previous two books and steps it up yet another notch, if you found those things disturbing in the previous two books, don't expect that to have changed here. But in the end the characters are what draws you in, they're all flawed, the good people are few and far between, but a lot of them are surprisingly relatable. With several different climaxes that all feel satisfying in their own way quite a number of story threads are tied up while others leave you on maddening cliffhangers. It's the most touching, disturbing, exciting, thrilling and deep book in the series, if you enjoyed the previous two you'll enjoy this one even more. ( )
  Regulan | Sep 13, 2016 |
Wow. I loved this book. Just loved it. Martin takes the turns that I don't expect and the lesson that we learn in book 1 - anyone can be killed at any time - is only reenforced.

My favorite of the series so far. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
Could we be heading for an ultimate conflict in which both sides are wrong and the right answer is being human and choosing the excluded middle? Wouldn’t that be cool if it were the case?
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 14, 2009)
With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055357342X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is George R.R. Martin for real? Can a fantasy epic actually get better with each new installment? Fans of the genre have glumly come to expect go-nowhere sequels from other authors, so we're entitled to pinch ourselves over Martin's tightly crafted Song of Ice and Fire series. The reports are all true: this series is the real deal, and Martin deserves his crown as the rightful king of the epic. A Game of Thrones got things off to a rock-solid start, A Clash of Kings only exceeded expectations, but it's the Storm of Swords hat trick that cements Martin's rep as the most praiseworthy fantasy author to come along since that other R.R.

Like the first two books, A Storm of Swords could coast on the fundamentals: deftly detailed characters, convincing voices and dialogue, a robust back-story, and a satisfyingly unpredictable plot. But it's Martin's consistently bold choices that set the series apart. Every character is fair game for the headman's axe (sometimes literally), and not only do the good guys regularly lose out to the bad guys, you're never exactly sure who you should be cheering for in the first place.

Storm is full of admirable intricacies. Events that you thought Martin was setting up solidly for the first two books are exposed as complex feints; the field quickly narrows after the Battle of the Blackwater and once again, anything goes. Robb tries desperately to hold the North together, Jon returns from the wildling lands with a torn heart, Bran continues his quest for the three-eyed crow beyond the Wall, Catelyn struggles to save her fragile family, Arya becomes ever more wolflike in her wanderings, Daenerys comes into her own, and Joffrey's cruel rule from King's Landing continues, making even his fellow Lannisters uneasy. Martin tests all the major characters in A Storm of Swords: some fail the trial, while others--like Martin himself--seem to only get stronger. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

"Of the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others -- a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords"--Cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,717,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible