A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) (original 2000; edition 2003)

by George R.R. Martin

14,179285143 ()405
Member:arkhadius
Title:A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 1216 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin (2000)

English (272)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (282)
I wasn't going to review this until I finished the series, but, HOLY @#$&!!! Not trying to give spoilers, but beware in case I can't contain myself. If you're watching the series, no news for you, but, as I haven't, I was blown away. Characters that I had been fully invested in were killed off. I was so shocked I nearly tossed the book across the room. But, I'm reading it on a tablet, so I refrained. Love it, hate it, both at the same time. That's what makes it so amazing. ( )
  tiddleyboom | Feb 19, 2015 |
My favorites so far
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
My favorites so far
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
I really loved the first volume, Game of Thrones. Definitely five-star worthy, even if a couple of things kept me from continuing on--for years. Ironically both reasons had to do with Martin making me care very much for his characters, so much so I was reluctant to become further invested. For one, at the time I'd read the first book, it had been five years since he'd published the most recent installment. I feared Martin would never finish this series, but leave us hanging. Second, it's a hard, hard thing to love a Martin character. He's not reluctant to be brutal, even kill off, very appealing characters, and what he did to one of my favorites in the first book was a shock, and hard to forgive him for.

Well, Martin did publish a fifth installment since, there are only supposed to be one or two volumes to go, and supposedly with the HBO miniseries he has reportedly divulged enough of the overall series plot to the producers assure the story wouldn't die with him. And a friend who loves the series, both filmed and print urged me to read on. And I did see how Martin's way with his characters had a pay off in the second book. Knowing no character is safe ups the stakes and the suspense. And I was impressed how Martin could introduce new characters, new points of view and make me care.

But not as much as I had with the first book--which is why I gave the second volume four stars. It was still good. In fact, just having read a popular YA book just before the second book, A Clash of Kings I was newly impressed with Martin's world-building and skill in interweaving the very themes of the title, "a song of fire and ice" and "game of thrones" into his intricate plot. But in the end, the book felt more like a middle, a continuation--a good yarn, but not as involving to me and I wondered if, as with so many series, each book would provide diminishing returns.

Well, if anything I love this book even more than the first one, and like the first, but not the second, it provided emotional--well, highs. There was one moment in this book that made me want to cheer myself hoarse--if those in the next room wouldn't have thought me a loon. Characters I'd written off as evil turned out to have sympathetic sides and a capacity for change I didn't expect, but managed to be credible. Sympathetic characters, while staying sympathetic, managed to show sides that were much, much darker than I'd have suspected--while still feeling like themselves. It provided it's own share of surprises and shocks--and if the end of the first book gave me shivers, this one made me shudder--in a good way. So I'm moving on to the fourth book, A Feast of Crows with great expectations. I've heard not-so-good things about the latest book published in the series, Dances with Dragons, that it was a disappointment, and felt rushed. But if A Storm of Swords showed me anything, it's that Martin can recover from what might feel like a decline and come back stronger than ever. So here's hoping that'll be true of the closing books in the series. ( )
  LisaMariaC | Feb 14, 2015 |
This has been my favorite book in the series so far. I've heard that a lot of people enjoy the second book more, which I understand, but this book was so full of surprises that I have to give the top spot to this one.

It's rare to catch me completely off guard. Even if I don't know exactly what is going to happen, I can normally guess that something in the general area of what happens, but this book floored me multiple times. I actually spent a total of about 15 minutes staring into space completely stunned and unable to put words into sentence form. I feel that people walking by me (I read one of these surprises in a mall) thought I was slightly deranged.

In most books and even TV shows and movies, there is a kind of formula that is followed making the majority of the plot rather predictable. Sometimes this formula is broken and George R.R. Martin is one of those authors who has done just that. Even though I was warned to expect the unexpected when reading this series, I still found myself believing that certain things would happen based on this formula. So, when this book broke from this formula it was still a shock. And this is what makes me love this series.

I have also noticed that the issues I had been having with the first and second book are becoming less and less. The internal dialogue has been brought down to a minimum, and when it does happen it is not completely superfluous like the majority of it was before. His descriptions of food are still there, but now I can tell when they are coming and am able to gloss over them so I don't get bogged down with the sheer amount of food that I don't care about.

My only main issue with this book is that I still find Bran really boring. Not much happens with him in this book and I tend to find him whiny and rather annoying. It eventually came to a point in the book that when a Bran section came up I rolled my eyes. For me, he acted more as an irritating road block to the really exciting things that were going on with the far more interesting characters. I'm hoping that Bran's character fills out eventually, and that something happens with him other then him having dire wolf dreams.

Despite how much I loved this book, I couldn't give it a 5/5 for those couple of reasons that are still big enough issues to dock it a couple of points. However, this book is pretty amazing and for those who haven't gotten to this book yet, just be prepared to be surprised. ( )
  kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
Could we be heading for an ultimate conflict in which both sides are wrong and the right answer is being human and choosing the excluded middle? Wouldn’t that be cool if it were the case?
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 14, 2009)

With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055357342X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is George R.R. Martin for real? Can a fantasy epic actually get better with each new installment? Fans of the genre have glumly come to expect go-nowhere sequels from other authors, so we're entitled to pinch ourselves over Martin's tightly crafted Song of Ice and Fire series. The reports are all true: this series is the real deal, and Martin deserves his crown as the rightful king of the epic. A Game of Thrones got things off to a rock-solid start, A Clash of Kings only exceeded expectations, but it's the Storm of Swords hat trick that cements Martin's rep as the most praiseworthy fantasy author to come along since that other R.R.

Like the first two books, A Storm of Swords could coast on the fundamentals: deftly detailed characters, convincing voices and dialogue, a robust back-story, and a satisfyingly unpredictable plot. But it's Martin's consistently bold choices that set the series apart. Every character is fair game for the headman's axe (sometimes literally), and not only do the good guys regularly lose out to the bad guys, you're never exactly sure who you should be cheering for in the first place.

Storm is full of admirable intricacies. Events that you thought Martin was setting up solidly for the first two books are exposed as complex feints; the field quickly narrows after the Battle of the Blackwater and once again, anything goes. Robb tries desperately to hold the North together, Jon returns from the wildling lands with a torn heart, Bran continues his quest for the three-eyed crow beyond the Wall, Catelyn struggles to save her fragile family, Arya becomes ever more wolflike in her wanderings, Daenerys comes into her own, and Joffrey's cruel rule from King's Landing continues, making even his fellow Lannisters uneasy. Martin tests all the major characters in A Storm of Swords: some fail the trial, while others--like Martin himself--seem to only get stronger. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:47 -0400)

"Of the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others -- a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords"--Cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,673,265 books! | Top bar: Always visible