A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire,…

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) (original 2000; edition 2003)

by George R.R. Martin

Title:A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3)
Authors:George R.R. Martin
Info:Bantam (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 1216 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin (2000)

English (289)  Spanish (4)  German (2)  French (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (299)
A worthy edition to the series, Storm of Swords keeps the world of Westeros in chaos. So many threads reach their dramatic climax in this book, yet more questions and uncertainty lay ahead. Seeing so many character's get their comeuppance, while others are brutally betrayed kept me turning pages like fire. I hear the next book slow things down, and I hope it isn’t true. My favorite entry in the series by far! ( )
  anneril | Sep 30, 2015 |
The Good: I continue to read this series in utter disbelief. Jaw hanging open, more often than not. I struggled reading A Storm of Swords - reading as fast as possible to find out what was going to happen next, while trying to slow myself down enough so I didn't miss anything. It's hard to explain my addiction to this series. The characters are so good. So well developed. So complex, that we keep uncovering things we never expected. I am constantly surprised at every plot twist, yet I know I should expect the unexpected at every turn. Nothing is ever as it seems, even when it couldn't possibly be other. If that makes sense. The writing in these books gets under your skin. Martin making you question your initial opinions. Making you love the characters you should be hating. Making you root for things that make you a very bad person. It sort of makes you crazy in the best possible way.

The Bad: Not a thing. ( )
  TequilaReader | Sep 17, 2015 |
The next book in this epic fantasy did not disappoint, and finally I moved beyond the show and read something that I didn't already know. Although, my library due date came, and I hadn't finished the book but I couldn't extend my time because someone else had reserved it, so I had to literally read the last 424 pages in 24 hours, whew! But I didn't really get to digest either. The Red Wedding was horrible but in the show, so I knew it was coming, although in the show Robb's pregnant wife was at the wedding, and in the book she wasn't so maybe he knocked her up and their is a chance for a Stark baby. I love that Sansa married Tyrion, I just wish she wasn't such a bitch to him, he deserves a good woman. I think Sansa could actually come to appreciate him, and the good man that he is if she could just get her head out of her ass. He has always been kind and respectful to her, and the fact that he didn't force himself on her shows that he is more of knight than any of the stupid pretty boys she thinks she wants. I hope that they actually work out, it would redeem Sansa in my eyes for getting her father killed, at least she would grow beyond the stupid girl she is. I hope Ayra becomes an assassin, she would be awesome. I'm glad she got her Needle back, now to find her wolf. Jon deserves the command of the Wall, he will save the world!
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com
  Serinde24 | Sep 5, 2015 |
It took me forever to read this book but it was amazing!! The end had a lot of stuff happen but it was worth it! ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
Gostei mas não me agarrou tanto como o 3º Volume publicado em Portugal.
Achei muito interessante as lutas e disputas entre os diferentes Reis apesar de ter sentido falta de explicações para a personagem Robb que se mantém desaparecida há muito tempo.
A batalha de Porto Real é um dos pontos altos do livro e merece acompanhar tudo o que acontece a Tyrion.

Quanto ao título "O Despertar da Magia", ainda não se revela o suficiente, apesar da Feiticeira vermelha de Asshai que dá a volta à cabeça do irmão do Robert ter um papel importante em alguns acontecimentos no livro ( )
  bruc79 | Jul 31, 2015 |
Could we be heading for an ultimate conflict in which both sides are wrong and the right answer is being human and choosing the excluded middle? Wouldn’t that be cool if it were the case?
added by Shortride | editTor.com, Jo Walton (Sep 14, 2009)
With the end of A Storm of Swords, Martin is half finished his epic. However, so little has been revealed that we have only begun to glimpse what the true saga really is. It's as if you are peering through a dirty window, cleaning small portions of it -- one square inch at a time -- so more and more of the room beyond is slowly revealed. Each glimpse uncovers a new wonder, but you can never be sure of exactly what you are seeing.
added by Shortride | editSF Site, Wayne MacLaurin (Jan 1, 2001)

George R. R. Martinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dotrice, RoyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Macía, CristinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Phyllis

who made me put the dragons in
The day was grey and bitter cold, and the dogs would not take the scent.
Bk 3 A Song of Fire and Ice: A Storm of Swords has also been published as a two volume edition - Bk 3 - Prt 1:Steel and Snow / Bk 3 - Prt 2: Blood and Gold.
Please do not combine the two individual volumes of book 3 with the single editions of 'A Storm of Swords'

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 055357342X, Mass Market Paperback)

Is George R.R. Martin for real? Can a fantasy epic actually get better with each new installment? Fans of the genre have glumly come to expect go-nowhere sequels from other authors, so we're entitled to pinch ourselves over Martin's tightly crafted Song of Ice and Fire series. The reports are all true: this series is the real deal, and Martin deserves his crown as the rightful king of the epic. A Game of Thrones got things off to a rock-solid start, A Clash of Kings only exceeded expectations, but it's the Storm of Swords hat trick that cements Martin's rep as the most praiseworthy fantasy author to come along since that other R.R.

Like the first two books, A Storm of Swords could coast on the fundamentals: deftly detailed characters, convincing voices and dialogue, a robust back-story, and a satisfyingly unpredictable plot. But it's Martin's consistently bold choices that set the series apart. Every character is fair game for the headman's axe (sometimes literally), and not only do the good guys regularly lose out to the bad guys, you're never exactly sure who you should be cheering for in the first place.

Storm is full of admirable intricacies. Events that you thought Martin was setting up solidly for the first two books are exposed as complex feints; the field quickly narrows after the Battle of the Blackwater and once again, anything goes. Robb tries desperately to hold the North together, Jon returns from the wildling lands with a torn heart, Bran continues his quest for the three-eyed crow beyond the Wall, Catelyn struggles to save her fragile family, Arya becomes ever more wolflike in her wanderings, Daenerys comes into her own, and Joffrey's cruel rule from King's Landing continues, making even his fellow Lannisters uneasy. Martin tests all the major characters in A Storm of Swords: some fail the trial, while others--like Martin himself--seem to only get stronger. --Paul Hughes

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:05 -0400)

"Of the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister, sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they hold his sister hostage at King's Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress of the only three dragons still left in the world. But as opposing forces maneuver for the final titanic showdown, an army of barbaric wildlings arrives from the outermost line of civilization. In their vanguard is a horde of mythical Others -- a supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords"--Cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,761,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible