Ziba Came on a Boat by Liz Lofthouse

Ziba Came on a Boat (2007)

by Liz Lofthouse

“Ziba Came on a Boat” is a book that takes place on a boat with Ziba on it. At first, I was not a fan of the short timespan this book takes place in. I felt it was lacking in story because it shows little about her past and none of her future. After all, you don’t know how much of her family is with her and you don’t know when she shows up to her destination, if ever. You see in her memories that she has a father, whom she thinks very highly of. She describes him of having “peaceful eyes”. You hear her talk about the future, saying that she is hopeful about her new life in a new land. I thought more and realized that the purpose was to show a snapshot of a girl’s reminiscence of her home and her hope for the future and I felt that perhaps the contents of this book is all it needs. In fact, this book can serve as a basis for a conversation on immigration within a classroom. I would love to have the opportunity to read this to my classroom and share our thoughts on immigration.
Ziba stands on the deck of the ship that is taking her from her home and into a new one. She has flashbacks to her home village, of her getting water and interacting with other village members. She shares memories of her father, who may not be accompanying her on this trip. She shows hope for her future in the new place she will be residing in.
  btadde1 | Sep 12, 2016 |
A good before and after story, sad but impactful, about war. Focused on family.
  kali.joy | Sep 22, 2015 |
Beautiful and rich illustrations that wonderfully depict the depth of emotion and the journey. Illustrations among my favorites and add significantly to the story.

Story depicts the journey of Ziba, a young girl, who is immigrating from Afghanistan to Australia by boat as a result of the impacts of the war. The story beautifully flashes back to Ziba remembering the things she loves about her home country - the mountain air and water, food, family, wool weaving, stories and poems, and harsh winters - as she journeys to a new land.

It is a book of memories and hope and personalizes the story of an Afghani child in a way that counterbalances much of the information that is prevalent on the news and internet. ( )
  zsvandyk | Mar 1, 2015 |
This book helps give insight into what it is like for refugees to make the journey somewhere new and the kinds of things they may think about.
  zkstonem | Feb 17, 2015 |
I enjoined the picture and the adventure thourght out the book and love reading it for my littery essay and it keep me interesting ( )
  jaredhitchener | Jun 12, 2013 |

Based on real events is the moving story of a little girl whose family has lost almost everything. This beautiful picture book takes us on her brave journey to make a new life far from home.

Kane Miller Books

An edition of this book was published by Kane Miller Books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,245,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible