Handknit Holidays: Knitting Year-Round for…

by Melanie Falick

Member:KnitChaos
Title:Handknit Holidays: Knitting Year-Round for Christmas, Hanukkah, and Winter Solstice
Authors:Melanie Falick
Info:"Stewart, Tabori and Chang" (2005), Hardcover, 184 pages
Rating:***

Handknit Holidays: Knitting Year-Round for Christmas, Hanukkah, and Winter Solstice by Melanie Falick

Open Road Integrated Media generously donated this book for review.

First Impressions: This book is so pretty! I want to live in each of the pictures in this book. Seriously, everything is so shiny, romantic, and holiday-like. I want to knit everything in this book.

The Details: This book has over 50 patterns! Patterns include ornaments, pillows, hats, scarves, mittens and gloves, socks, sweaters, shawls, and bags. It is important to note that although the book has several patterns for the home, children, and women, the patterns for men are lacking. There are no men-only patterns. Some of the clothing patterns are large enough for men, but this book is definitely more skewed towards women's patterns.

Although I love this book so much (I bought the hardcover edition years ago), I have reservations about the e-book. First, my galley copy was a bit "funny." Specifically, knitting charts were cut off. This may be a problem with the galley copy; however, if you purchase the book, check to make sure that you can see all the charts. Second, all of the yarns listed are those that were listed in the original printing. Some of these yarns may not be available anymore. This isn't a huge issue to me; however, because it is hard to keep the yarns in book up-to-date. Finally, the galley copy of the e-book that I received had errors in it that were corrected by the 3rd printing of the book. This is unacceptable. If you purchase this e-book, please look for errata online before knitting any of the patterns. In fact, I would rate the e-book version of this book as 2/5 stars.

Final Impressions: This is a beautiful book. The patterns are clever, fun, and amazing. This book also does a decent job of showcasing patterns for Christmas, Hanukkah, and the Winter Solstice. At the same, the e-book has some serious problems. ( )
  silverarrowknits | Sep 8, 2013 |
It may be summer, but I feel in the holiday mood after browsing through Handknit Holidays. There is a wide range of patterns for knitters from beginners to expert. ( )
  aztwinmom | Aug 29, 2013 |
Handknit Holidays Knitting Year-Round for Christmas, Hanukkah, and Winter Solstice by Melanie Falick
30 different artists have contributed to this book. The book sounds like one I am hoping will lead me to this upcoming season of cold weather. Starts out with tree ornaments, then stockings which some are charted and written out in rows as they have designs built in.
Household items are most exquisite! My favorite is the Aran designs, Love doing cable work. There is also the history of stockings included.
Table runners offer a lot of different designs that could also be used in a full size afghan.
Second best would be the stained glass scarf-I have done this method before and the right colors give this a striking effect.
There are so many treasures in this book to make and give away as gifts or keep for yourself. As an added bonus there is a recipe for Norwegian rich nut cookies.
Patterns for everybody in the family, the house and even the dog. Also charity work is mentioned with information. Packaging ideas that help you adorn a gift.
Love this book because there is such a large selection of things to make and in plenty of time before the holidays. Index, explanation of abbreviations and terms used in the book and methods are included.
I received this book from Net Galley via Open Road in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  jbarr5 | Aug 24, 2013 |
Includes patterns for socks, sweaters, stoles ...
  SHCG | Sep 25, 2012 |
A delightful pattern book for the holidays with project ranging from simple to complex. ( )
  Jacenschimmel | Mar 17, 2010 |

"I want to get married." If you're a Christian single, chances are good that thought has crossed your mind. You think about getting married and wonder if someday God will lead you to the soul mate He's chosen specially for you. But decisions about whether to marry and whom to marry have never been more complicated. Opinions about singleness, dating, sex, and marriage have undergone tremendous changes as our culture continues to move away from biblical values and practices. Given the current complexity, it's vital that you find sure-footed answers to two key questions: What does the Bible say about marriage? How do I discover God's will for me when it comes to finding a mate? "I Do" or Do I? is the ideal guide to help you answer these questions. It will equip you to think about marriage within the whole scope of your relationship with God and will enable you to discover your unique place in His world?whether single or married.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,449,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible